What kits should Estes bring back?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to make a joke, but I guess you're too young to remember Jon Lovitz. i.e. you could've covered up the faux pas by claiming it was the other one you were referring to. Guess I'll never make it as a stand up comedian. Cheers.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DFC18CD1D295BB3D872BDFC18CD1D295&&FORM=VRDGAR

Yeah. That's the ticket.

I am old enough to remember Eddie Tommy Flan-ay-gan. I am however, too young to remember Microsoft's failed foray into search engines. "Bing" <heh!>

edit: Apparently I am old enough to remember Eddie Flanagan and also addled enough to have confounded that real comic with Lovitz' character.

Last edited:
They should bring back the
8628585962_ea7f885fe4.jpg

im thinking they had better ideas back then more bang for your buck stuff

I took that picture of Carl at NARAM-52 in Colorado.

(Accreditation for the picture would be appreciated. I know I posted it on YORF and probably TRF).

OK, Bob, aka "Initiator001" took that photo and posted it on TRF . . .

I took this one of Carl at an organizational meeting of a rocket club that he and I were helping to get started, in August, 2011.

Dave F.

TAR - INITIAL MEETING - 8-4-2011.jpg

I'm curious...since the instructions for a lot of these are on Jimz's site, and most parts are readily available (BMS, eRockets, elsewhere) or not too difficult to make...what's the lure of a kit? I like some of the kits, but like most of you I have a fair stock of airframe tubing, balsa, plywood, etc.

Best -- Terry

That and nostalgia. As John Boren said (paraphrased): "They'll bring out kits they think will sell, and we just can't bring back everything someone asks for because someone will ask for EVerything! Even the simplest most mundane 3FNC is probably someone's childhood favorite that they ask us to bring back again."

That and nostalgia. As John Boren said (paraphrased): "They'll bring out kits they think will sell, and we just can't bring back everything someone asks for because someone will ask for Everything! Even the simplest most mundane 3FNC is probably someone's childhood favorite that they ask us to bring back again."

Just so long as they don't bring back the "BIRDIE" . . . LOL !

Dave F.

62ad007f59df59b7a2435aa27b916045.jpg

I'm curious...since the instructions for a lot of these are on Jimz's site, and most parts are readily available (BMS, eRockets, elsewhere) or not too difficult to make...what's the lure of a kit? I like some of the kits, but like most of you I have a fair stock of airframe tubing, balsa, plywood, etc.

Best -- Terry

I understood the question not as "What kits would you buy for yourself...?" but as "What reissue kits do you think would sell/would be good to recommend to a new flier/would you buy for the club's gimme pile...? "

Like my first rocket, Estes Wizard with the original decals. The rocket that launched me into the hobby. The font had the classical fantasy RPG look, ready to cast a Cato spell at my Goblin rocket.

Last edited:
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1902/est1902.htm

They already brought back the Explorer Aquarius, so why not the Space Station Aquarius too?

Est1902T.jpg
Hmmmm. Even though my build pile is way, way too big, now I want to add this one. This kit came out shortly after I left the hobby when I entered high school, so it wasn't on my original list of nostalgia rockets. But this is a great design, and I want to make a few kits from the "lost decades" before I became a BAR.

Most of the parts are easy to get, and the fins are pretty darn easy to cut (no need to wait for Semroc to come up with laser-cut rectangles). The nose cone is a PNC-55AO, so I could get one from a Goblin kit. A TIFF file for the decals is available at the Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe link that Glen provided. But...

... does anyone know where one can get a PTA-5055 transition? Is the profile very close to that of a balsa TA-5055?

Hmmmm. Even though my build pile is way, way too big, now I want to add this one. This kit came out shortly after I left the hobby when I entered high school, so it wasn't on my original list of nostalgia rockets. But this is a great design, and I want to make a few kits from the "lost decades" before I became a BAR.

Most of the parts are easy to get, and the fins are pretty darn easy to cut (no need to wait for Semroc to come up with laser-cut rectangles). The nose cone is a PNC-55AO, so I could get one from a Goblin kit. A TIFF file for the decals is available at the Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe link that Glen provided. But...

... does anyone know where one can get a PTA-5055 transition? Is the profile very close to that of a balsa TA-5055?
Not sure if the transitions are the same but even if they’re close I don’t think it would change the overall look of the rocket. Was the original a rear eject - if not that’s a change that could be interesting...

Interceptor-E ..... I think the timing is better for it now. We have the BP F motors and it does well on 24mm reloads. Not only is it a cool rocket....it's a good "big" rocket at low power venues. I feel it would be a good seller now......IMO
Andrew

How about the Centuri Enerjet 1340 ? All the molding should still exist. You would need the coupler as the only missing item. This would give you a good mid power payloader The original colors would beat the heck out of the current yellow nose and fins of the Eliminator. Perhaps upscale to pro II.

Had to look that one up! It looks like the nose cone was used on a fair number of kits, including the Airborne Surveillance Missile, but that long transition looks kind of unique. BMS has the nose cone and the transition available, both in balsa, naturally so a clone wouldn’t be too tough.

Estes mega der red max:
1692288602246.png
Pro series II 3" Nike Smoke:
1692288658688.png
Maxi Brute X wing:
1692288714333.png
Maxi Brute Pershing:
1692289147041.png
Maxi 4" master series atlas:

1692289210971.png
Black Star Voyager:
1692289265721.png
Estes Ramjet:
1692289291219.png
Estes Saturn V:
1692289336374.png
Estes starship vega:
1692289393519.png
Estes EPM 010:
1692289424838.png

The Maxi Alpha #1291 is doable. They already have all the parts for it, and it would be a good flier using their E and F motors.

View attachment 598659
Agreed . . . The Maxi-Alpha is "begging" for a 29mm MMT.

Also, it's a great model to convert to cluster power ( 3 X 24mm - D12's flies well ) !

Attachments

• BT-80Clusters.pdf
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
I made a clone with a 29mm motor mount and I confirm it flies great on F15's.
The 29mm motor mount was the conversion the Maxi Alpha needed. There was an article in SNOAR News back when the Maxi Alpha was in Estes' product line that enthusiastically described the how-to and the benefits of conversion. The "Rip Snoartin' Maxi Alpha."

Back