What kits should Estes bring back?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm...now that I think about it, kinda surprised we haven’t already seen this... As popular as it is to strap key chain cameras to a rocket a new Cineroc seems an obvious move for Estes.

Here's the problem... All of the film versions of Estes' camera rockets used in house engineering and manufacture (save for the lenses, and the motor (and switch) for the Cineroc (those were sourced externally, but easily available)). The digital cameras (the AstroVision and Oracle rockets) used 3rd party camera systems that weren't so easily available, nor produced by Estes. I don't think that they sold particularly well, and due to the difficulties in updating the software, Estes dropped them. Now, with keychain cameras as readily available as they are, Estes would have to buy an awful lot of them and mark the cost up to make it profitable. However, under the previous leadership of Estes, this was too much for them to bear. Will we see a 3rd digital camera from Estes someday? I'd like to think so. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

I must say it is interesting to ponder an RTF launch set bundled with a cheap but functional and modern digital camera. Would this attract curious retail buyers?

I think, due to volume, Estes would have a harder time selling a more "serious" camera system. But aiming at beginners, who (a) wouldn't know how to do this, and (b) might not even realize it's a thing to do could work. Maybe?

So... You're the one that I keep getting to spend lots of money on those. As much as I hate losing those auctions, I have to admit it's fun to see how much people will spend on them.

Put me down for a Cineroc/Omega combo. Even if the kit didn't include a working Cineroc... Just a black *BLOWMOLDED* nosecone and aft transition, a chunk of body tube with the OD of the recently (relatively) OOP D-Region Tomahawk, and an injection molded camera shroud. and I'd be cool. Better still if it included a "tray" for attaching an 808 camera to it. Call it the CinerocDV... OH, and this time include the body tube decal for the Omega.

And you must be the person that keeps driving prices up on me! :p
Actually I haven't bid on a Stealth for a couple of years. I have a few sitting around. One of these days I keep saying I'll make a fiberglass mold and start making copies but it hasn't happened yet...

Though you do mention my other favorite OOP Estes model. I love the D-Region! Modded one to fly on a 29mm motor with dual deploy. (It was tight!) Unfortunately my dual deploy turned into ballistic recovery and it nosed in to a asphalt parking-lot, bounced about 20 feet in the air and landed next to my truck. At least I didnt' have to walk far to retrieve it...

I would like every single rocket from the beginning to be available.
Also, parts (again) like the unique nose cones.
And I want the EAC to come back.
A good T-Shirt with the Iron On's is dearly missed.
Design of the month too. Nothing like having a chance to win FREE stuff!

A good looking non working replica of the Omega/Cineroc combo can be done using the Semroc Omega kit and Boyce Aerospace Cineroc nose cone. I suppose if you were slightly ambitious you could even cobble up a working mini DV camera to go in there. I have it in my build pile.

I would like every single rocket from the beginning to be available.
Also, parts (again) like the unique nose cones.
And I want the EAC to come back.
A good T-Shirt with the Iron On's is dearly missed.
Design of the month too. Nothing like having a chance to win FREE stuff!

I miss the free kits that Estes used to include with orders over a certain amount. As a kid it kept me coming back for more. My friends and I would pool orders so we could save on postage and get those free kits.

What would you like to see Estes bring back next?

After seeing photos of this model online, having never had the opportunity to build one, I really think that Estes should bring back the unique RAM JET. What a cool design! (Borrowing someone else's photo below as an example).

Why wait? Jimmy Z's has the plans:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1994.htm

Erockets has the laser cut fins:

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-laser-cut-fins-ram-jet-sheet-3-32-balsa-sem-fes-1994/

The inlet style nose cone and break midtube make this kit intriguing. I may clone this one myself.

PS The long ogive plastic nose cone is the one found in the NC-20 assortment pack #3161.

Last edited:
What would you like to see Estes bring back next?
128-sm_ram-jet-original-18mm-_09-03-92-jpg.30755
Is it just me, or is that a tube of caulk with fins?

Erockets still has about 20 Estes Mirvs on closeout, you don't have to wait for a bringback.

Very similar to the old Seattle Rocket Works Mirv Gryphon:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/srw/srwMG/srwMG.htm

Single mini engine booster, 4 (instead of the Estes 3) mini engine sustainer "mirvs".

BTW am I the only one who remembers Merv Griffin? And what about Mike Douglas? (No, not Michael Douglas). Cheers.

Daniel, I don't know about the mini powered part, but the MIRV part, yes, that's correct. It's about putting multiple nukes on one ICBM.

Kururin, Merv's show was a little before my time but I also knew plenty of Merv Griffin Productions game shows. And I do remember the Mike Douglas Show, he not to be confused with Michael Douglas, as you noted, or with Mike Douglis, my childhood (and still) friend.

Erockets still has about 20 Estes Mirvs on closeout, you don't have to wait for a bringback.

Very similar to the old Seattle Rocket Works Mirv Gryphon:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/srw/srwMG/srwMG.htm

Single mini engine booster, 4 (instead of the Estes 3) mini engine sustainer "mirvs".

BTW am I the only one who remembers Merv Griffin? And what about Mike Douglas? (No, not Michael Douglas). Cheers.

I even remember his sidekick, Arthur Treacher.
But only because we had an Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips restaurant that operated here in town until 2000 or so, about 30 years after anybody remembered who Arthur Treacher was.

He created the Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy game shows. I think he composed the Jeopardy music also.
Yep, he started out as a big band singer. Became a television personality and talk show host. Made a fortune buying up SoCal real estate when it was relatively cheap, and producing a ton of game shows, most notably Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.

I wish they would bring back the Mercury Atlas. Some rumors from NARAM that they might. The ones selling on eBay are way too expensive, and the kit is difficult to clone because of the special size tubing.

Estes needs to bring back reliable motor starters like RIGHT NOW. Then maybe some new cluster kits in 13, 18, 24 and 29mm flavors.

Mike Douglas started as a big band singer as well. He became a big deal celebrity in Philly when his talk show was produced there in the '60s and '70s. That show had some great moments.

Last edited:
Next year is the 45th anniversary of the introduction of the Maxi Brute models, which started with the V-2 and the Pershing 1-A. Seems like as good a time as any to bring these kits back with upgraded motor capacities.

Next year is the 45th anniversary of the introduction of the Maxi Brute models, which started with the V-2 and the Pershing 1-A. Seems like as good a time as any to bring these kits back with upgraded motor capacities.

That would be way cool!

John Boren discussed the possibility of the Pershing returning - at the time he didn’t think it was very likely to happen. Now, with new management? Guess we’ll have to wait and see. A larger - maybe even a PSII version? - V-2 seems like a natural. With the Star Orbiter and Super Big Bertha as the only builder kits using 29mm motors a larger V-2 would be a great addition.

I totally vote for the Space Shuttle. I will not pay upwards of 160 bucks on ebay for one. It just about killed me to lay out that kind of money for my Saturn V only to find out that Estes will be coming out with them again next month. If Estes does come out with S5, I'm buying three. One to screw up. One to build a Skylab and one to keep in the box.

Oh, and the Titan too. That's the Titan 3E.

Not so relevant to new releases, but I would like to see the BT80 airframe toughen up from .020 to .030 wall. Add it to the OD. The nosecones can handle it. While they do that , how about a BT80 Der Red Max with laminated balsa fins as in the Super Big Bertha. A BT 80 Monarch would be nice...with SBB fin construction.

Not so relevant to new releases, but I would like to see the BT80 airframe toughen up from .020 to .030 wall. Add it to the OD. The nosecones can handle it. While they do that , how about a BT80 Der Red Max with laminated balsa fins as in the Super Big Bertha. A BT 80 Monarch would be nice...with SBB fin construction.

Funny you should mention that! I built a SBB with gusseted, TTW fins made of lite ply a few months ago. Strong, lightweight and easier than laminating pieces of wood. Body tube is a BTH-80 (.041" thick). Decals from Stickershock. Flew great on its' maiden flight with a 29mm composite motor. Currently building a Der V-3 with a BTH-80 tube and TTW ply fins also. Mark at Stickershock was able to customize a vinyl decal downscale for me, since the fine lettering loses resolution below a certain tube size.
IMG_20181119_134018.jpg
As for bring backs, how about the big Mercury Atlas #2111? The new LJ1 uses the same capsule, and the LJ2 uses the same body tube diameter. Maybe replace the plastic parts with 3D printed ones? Might even be cheaper than retooling the molds.

Back