What kind of rockets do you like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TRFfan

Reaction score
I like ultra-optimized minimum diamiters and scale rockets. Which types do you like?

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
More and more these days I like big ones. Big ones with N and O motors in them. Something that takes several people to carry them out to the away cells.

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That is what is great about rocketry, so many different things; you can play around until you find something you really like, then move on. You can have a lot of fun at all levels.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Yeah true. I do like MPR motors and even if i could fly L4 motors now i still probably would go wih MPR motors because they are alot more fun to fly due to the cheaper cost. :)

Incongruent

Reaction score
I like all rockets, but I enjoy the build more than the flying so I lean towards the LPR side.
*Bumps into rocket*
*Dominos effect*
"Whoops."

As for larger motors, I plan on (plan only) certing the launch after I turn 14 and maybe doing a mid/high power scale project. 38mm 3 inch X-15 maybe.

Re-read the title, I had interpreted it as like to build. I like detailed or otherwise (aesthetically, mechanically, etc.) interesting rockets. ...Which is most rockets. Dang it, I was aiming for scale.

boatgeek

Reaction score
I like biomimicry in fins shapes. Mostly I fly F-I, with a few larger motors thrown in for spice.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anything K and above typically, and that is what I mostly fly.

I have always had a liking of the futuristic craft, like the SS Cestris and Interrogator kits put out by Sirius Rocketry
Here is my SS Cestris
cestristopside.jpg DSC05644.JPG

I am so tempted to upscale the Interrogator to 4" one day.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I like them big and stupid.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
Lately I've been building scale rockets and not so much 3fnc, but yeah I do like them all! Who doesn't right?

[email protected]

Reaction score
I like rockets that I can see, everyone like I'm 10. Out of sight not so much, even though I want to hit some altitude, I prefer to see the flights. At a launch, I don't even want to miss a C6 motor.
My favs though are big long burn engines where don't hear the abrupt end of burn out but instead a trail off like the Boston sound "cool your engines "

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I go in cycles with building. I just finished up an L3 V2, and now I'm working on an Estes MIRV. I'm happy flying 1/2A cardstock saucers too. I just don't have the patience for involved scale models though. I admire them, but they are not my deal.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While some admire the simplicity of a 3FNC, I quickly got bored with them.
I am into sci-fi, fantasy, and odd-rock type builds.

Have some high power (L2) but tend to do more LPR/MPR - cheaper, plus my types of rockets probably won't do well under high power

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anything with a pointyish top and fire stuff coming out the bottom...

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Big dumb rockets. Low and slow all the way.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
I've never met a rocket that I didn't like, but my favorites are odd-rocks and spaceships. If it has a pilot, it is especially cool....

terryg

Reaction score
Night launch rockets, military scale, odd rocs and anything that whistles on the way up!

watheyak

Barnstormer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like a B motor in a simple rocket with a perfectly timed deployment.

I also like putting the largest possible motor into the smallest possible rocket. Like this 38mm K-
20160911_180738.jpg

But after the prep headache rockets like above inevitably create, I am leaning towards bigger, dumber rockets. Ones I can fit my whole arm into, where the recovery harness and parachute fit with out a fit.

So I had Mike at MAC Performance make me a super nice 4" rocket with a FWFG boattail. Nicest kit I have ever seen. I'm about halfway through the build now. Pics soon.

As I contemplate my eventual level three, my dreams have moved from a minimum diameter N to a 16" diameter O, a whole different challenge.

Does this mean I'm getting old?

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While some admire the simplicity of a 3FNC, I quickly got bored with them.
I am into sci-fi, fantasy, and odd-rock type builds.

Have some high power (L2) but tend to do more LPR/MPR - cheaper, plus my types of rockets probably won't do well under high power
^^^^^ What he said.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I currently like some space between the mount and the airframe. Makes things easier and helps the thing stay in my possession longer.
Patriot, Mercury Redstone, etc..
L1: 38 in a 4"
L2: 54 in a 5.5" (to be)

Although some near minimum's are sweet, like the Crossfire or new Magician.

And I don't like plain 3 fin stuff. Needs at least a split fin or a transition to make it interesting. (discounting the Partizon because I wanted to finish out the Pro Series II set. I'll complicate it by making it dual deploy)

rockets without fins are cool too