What kind of parachute do you like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of high def DVD player do you own or plan to buy?

• HD DVD

• Blu Ray

• I'm waiting for the format war to end before buying!

• HD DVD

• Blu Ray

• I'm waiting for the format war to end before buying!

Results are only viewable after voting.

rocket trike

Reaction score
I am interested in seeing what kind of Ripstop parachutes you prefer to purchase. I am looking at a one color flat parachutes or a multi color panel parachute or other please list. I have attached a multi color panel picture.

Tom

Originally posted by rocket trike
I am interested in seeing what kind of Ripstop parachutes you prefer to purchase. I am looking at a one color flat parachutes or a multi color panel parachute or other please list. I have attached a multi color panel picture.

Tom

I like X-form chutes. Color, I don't care how many as long as it's visible against the sky and the ground. The perfect combination for me would be black on the inside and fluourescent orange and/or yellow on the outside. My next favorite would be shiny mylar coated. I've got a semi-spherical TAC-1, but haven't tried it yet. I'm not real pleased with the blue and green color scheme.

Most of the chutes I buy these days are SkyAngle Parachutes with two or three color panels. The AMRAAM XXL has Red, White and Blue Panel, as does the matching Drogue. The Upscale Deuce has Blue and Yellow color coordinated Drogue, Nosecone and Main chutes and I am getting a set of Black and Yellow for the Upscale Tres, which will include a SkyAngle Main for the booster, a Streamer for the drogue and a main for the Sustainer. Finally, I plan on getting a XXL L3 SkyAngle in Red, White and Black panels when I build my 6" IQSY Tomahawk.

Colors are fun!

Carl

The ones I love making for myself are 4 panel but with the same shape overall as a reg. 8 with 8 shrouds but much less hemming. Besides, I like the look of only 2 panels coloured

Gota love those multi paneled chutes! I'm really interested to see your new line of chutes!

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I like X-form chutes. Color, I don't care how many as long as it's visible against the sky and the ground. The perfect combination for me would be black on the inside and fluourescent orange and/or yellow on the outside. My next favorite would be shiny mylar coated. I've got a semi-spherical TAC-1, but haven't tried it yet. I'm not real pleased with the blue and green color scheme.

Hey, what size is the TAC-1 that you have? Those look so heavy duty.

I checked other also, I do the number of panels depending on size. The biggest one I made was a 20 panel 5 color chute that was 84" in diameter. That was a beast.

Edward

Tom

I think you'll find that if you are looking to break into the LPR market with rip-stop chutes, 24,18,12 inch buyers tend to buy flat single color or X type. Once you get over 24 inch, it 's a whole new ball game. These are just basic stats from my sales.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Hey, what size is the TAC-1 that you have? Those look so heavy duty.

The chute is 24". The harness, shrouds and swivel are like for a 60". This chute didn't need to be this tough. It's built way stronger (ie. heavier) than it could possibly carry. Maybe they intended this to be a high speed drogue.

I got to see a TAC-1 the other day. To me it seemed way overbuilt like you said Dynasoar. Also weighed a lot more that I thought it should have. I think they market it to those people who like the idea of it being able to survive a high speed deployment, even though it zippers their airframe. Just my thoughts.

Edward

I fly Low Power almost exclusively so I need a chute that packs into a small space. The multi panel chutes are too bulky for my needs..

Oh yeah, I also like the kind that stay away from trees ;) :rolleyes:

Got any of them? :D

skyangle chutes when i buy chutes...
though i checked out a new Binder Design chute that might be my next purchase.

:)

Originally posted by BobH48
I fly Low Power almost exclusively so I need a chute that packs into a small space. The multi panel chutes are too bulky for my needs..

Oh yeah, I also like the kind that stay away from trees ;) :rolleyes:

Got any of them? :D

And, even if it's not multi-panel, if you use 1.9 oz rip-stop, a 12" is hard to pack into a BT50.

Ripstop nylon in the lightest (.75 oz?) uncoated weight possible. Commonwealth sells their 36" chutes which use a nice, very light ripstop. Most vendors sell heavier weight stuff that's too hard to pack in narrow tubes. Something up to 30" or so, with 8 shroud lines (distributes force better on the light material) even on the smaller sizes. Ripstop preferred over plainer nylon.

A lot of people fly over hard ground (playa, etc.) and need to stuff a big, light chute in their rockets.

Bottom line: uber light ripstop, preferably lighter than the "thin mil" Topflite line, which isn't all that light.

Originally posted by Tallman
Ripstop nylon in the lightest (.75 oz?) uncoated weight possible. Commonwealth sells their 36" chutes which use a nice, very light ripstop. Most vendors sell heavier weight stuff that's too hard to pack in narrow tubes. Something up to 30" or so, with 8 shroud lines (distributes force better on the light material) even on the smaller sizes. Ripstop preferred over plainer nylon.

A lot of people fly over hard ground (playa, etc.) and need to stuff a big, light chute in their rockets.

Bottom line: uber light ripstop, preferably lighter than the "thin mil" Topflite line, which isn't all that light.

.75 oz? That's REAL light. I've seen 1.1 oz, and even 1.9, but .75oz. I'd have to verify that. I sell chutes and special order rip-stop, 1.1 oz would be fine if you could get it.

I am looking at ordering some .5oz and .75 oz ripstop and do some testing with them as parachutes. I think either of these will pack into almost any tube. We will see how they pack and how they hold up. One way that I test my parachutes is When the wind is blowing 10 to 20 MHP with gust high I put them up on my flag pole for about 1 hour and see how they hold up. Look for these come out in the sping of 2005.

Tom

I am looking at ordering some .5oz and .75 oz ripstop and do some testing with them as parachutes. I think either of these will pack into almost any tube. We will see how they pack and how they hold up. One way that I test my parachutes is When the wind is blowing 10 to 20 MHP with gust high I put them up on my flag pole for about 1 hour and see how they hold up. Look for these come out in the sping of 2005.

Tom

I don't know where you're ordering your cloth and how they classify it, but you should read the exerpt below about weights. this was taken right from kitebuilder.com....
WEIGHT

Three quarter ounce would appear to refer to the weight per square yard, but it's not that easy. These fabrics typically weigh 1.1 oz per sailmaker's yard, which is 36" long but only 28.5" wide (28.5" is a throwback to the days of cotton sailcloth). So, 3/4 oz really weighs about 1.4 ounces per square yard. The weight will also vary a little from lot to lot and manufacturer to manufacturer.

Tom

Or you could drive your car at 20 MPH and have someone throw it out the window!

I just got back home and received a e-mail for the supplier that I was looking at and they said that the ripstop that light is almost like wax paper. So it looks like I am back to the 1.1oz ripstop.

I just got back home and received a e-mail for the supplier that I was looking at and they said that the ripstop that light is almost like wax paper. So it looks like I am back to the 1.1oz ripstop.

1.1 oz. is plenty light enough for anything you'll make.

If your looking for light and small (12" or less) I think mylar is a good alternative to ripstop at that size. Also, small paneled ripstop chutes tend to be very stiff because of all the seams holding them together.

Also, coated ripstop or zero porosity performs better than regular, but weighs more. You really have to make a chart of pros/cons sometimes when going smaller or bigger.

Edward

I voted for 8 panel 2 color, however I woul have like to also vote or X-form

I do prefer hemispherical to quarter sphere.

I use Rocketman Recovery Systems parachutes on all my rockets. I've never had one fail.

I used to always use Rocketman chutes, they are very well made, the problem for me is that they are bulky for the amount of weight that they can carry. So i tried out a Quantum chute from Rocket Rage. They are awesome, stong construction, cool design which aslo happens to boost the Cd immensly because of the inverted apex, adn they pack really tightly. I can fit my RRQS150 into the same space of an R18 that can only carry half as much weight. Convenient when you don't have alot of room for chutes and all.

I use chutes by STL Rocketry. Edward is the man on chutes The quality is unbeliveable and they are so perty:D

I voted "other":

I like the hemispherical chutes, in any color that is visible against the ground and sky. I fly in the southwest so light blue and brown are out, White is hard to see if there are any light clouds.
Hunter's Orange or any neon colr's work for me.

Back