What kind of electronics do you incorporate into your builds?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison Vance

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As what the title says. Trying to gather some feedback/reviews on what kind of electronics I want to incorporate in my next build. I definitely want a camera, altimeter, and multiple sensors to show data, but what else would be great to include. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I usually run a couple of Ravens for main deploy and a TeleMega for drogue. The advantage of the TeleMega is that there are four extra pyro channels you can feed a voltage into from something else and have it logged and reported back via telemetry.

When Dual Deploy then Eggtimer Quark (smaller rockets) or Quantum. I have run a Quark with resistor on outputs just for an Altimeter.
Quantum for Air Start of 2nd stage.
Eggtimer mini GPS and 2m (147MHz) Rf beacons for locating.

I have build a 10DOF, 3-axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyro & Barometer, to do full measurements of rocket motion. This fits in a 3" BMS school rocket payload bay.

Have 1 rocket with a Mobius video camera.

Last edited:
I run Marsa‘s for deployment with a Raven along for the ride to capture data. For GPS, either an EggFinder, or Real Flight Systems, depending on the size of the airframe, etc.

For all my 4" and larger rockets (and a couple of 3" all FG) I use two altimeters for a total of 4 charges (2 drogue, and 2 for main). These are either Stratologgers, MissileWorks RRC2+, RRC2CL, RRC3, Eggtimer products--Quantums, Protons. I also have several of the Eggtimer telemetry modules along with the voice module for the receiving station. That allows me to plug into the club's PA system during a launch so that it vocalizes the altitude and events in real time for everyone to hear. On a number of my rockets I also have a camera facing down. On my 2-stager, I add another camera on the booster looking up. Also, most of my NC's are modified to take a sled with an Eggfinder GPS unit. Some of my GPS units have the data logger so that I can download the data off of the micro SD card to Google Earth Pro.

I own Eggtimer/Eggfinder products, as well as Altus Metrum and BigRedBee products. All three are good and have a place in my fleet.

I have several Missile Works RRC3's, RRC2L's . I like the Missile Works stuff because I have the LCD modual and can do the programing on it instead of dip switches. Eggtimer Apogee and their GPS/TRS with LCD receiver, bluetooth and voice modual. When they come back in stock I think I'll get a Missile Works GPS set up.

Eggtimer Quark, Quantum, Proton, TRS, finder and finder mini. PF MAWD, ARTS2, Raven2 and 3 different video recording setups. All my new stuff gets at least 1 Eggtimer product and if it's 5.5" or bigger, gets a redundant device. Eggtimer products are feature rich and cheap so that I don't have to move electronics between rocks anymore.

I launch smaller rockets (mostly mid power). All of my non dual deploy rockets I use a chute release. Larger higher flying ones 3500 feet + I like to use an easy mini for dual deploy. All of my rockets I have Estes altimeters and up and down looking cameras.

Probably the simplest and cheapest, pre-assembled full function computer you could get is the Stratlogger. However, PerfectFlite hasn't had any in stock for over a year now, so that is maybe a future option.

A MissileWorks RRC3 is probably the next best thing in terms of price and functionality.

Once you get comfortable with electronics, just go with Eggtimer. I was intimidated at first by having to solder them myself - I definitely dorked up my first Quantum and Quark, but now I pretty much get them right on the first try 90% of the time (60% of the time, it works everytime?). I have probably built 50 Eggtimer components now and wouldn't go back.

Probably the simplest and cheapest, pre-assembled full function computer you could get is the Stratlogger. However, PerfectFlite hasn't had any in stock for over a year now, so that is maybe a future option.

A MissileWorks RRC3 is probably the next best thing in terms of price and functionality.

Once you get comfortable with electronics, just go with Eggtimer. I was intimidated at first by having to solder them myself - I definitely dorked up my first Quantum and Quark, but now I pretty much get them right on the first try 90% of the time (60% of the time, it works everytime?). I have probably built 50 Eggtimer components now and wouldn't go back.
How hard is it to solder those? Do they give good instructions?

Agree with Joe's post. At first, I stuck with the "easy" ones like the Classic, which has no surface mounted parts. I will admit, the through-hole parts are easier when you first start out. Now, I can't stand them. It only takes a short time to master surface mounts and they are SO much faster than through-hole.

You don't need expensive gear, but I would recommend one of the adjustable temp soldering stations. There are many that are cheap on Amazon. They aren't going to replace an expensive Weller or Hakko, but you don't anything like that. For about the cost of a Raven or many other flight computers, you can set yourself up with a really nice soldering station. Again - for all you electrical engineers out there - this is an amateur setup, not your professional desk at work with $5000+ of high tech soldering gear.

You can get by with a $15 soldering "pen", but when I moved to an adjustable temp station, it was like the light shining through the clouds. Having "helping hands" built in to the station is a huge help. Also, the silicon mat I link below is awesome for holding all your parts and it is very helpful when soldering the wires on the WiFi modules. I tape the module to the mat and then stick the wire into the silicon mat itself to hold it in place while I solder it. I can solder the whole WiFi module now in about 5 minutes or less.

Probably the only other thing I would add is a Panavise, if you don't already have one.

Last disclaimer! - You don't NEED any of these and they aren't the best thing you can buy!

https://www.amazon.com/YIHUA-Soldering-194ºF-896ºF-Adjustable-Calibration/dp/B082F1WKP9https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNCJ935https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFJRQQ7https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195UVWJ8https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HYZYZZXhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V96LW7Zhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R1FDEA
I will also warn, Eggtimers are a "gateway" device... I eventually did upgrade to a Hakko station and now solder all kinds of PCB projects like Arduino's, Raspberry Pi kits and all sorts of other stuff. If you fall down this rabbit hole, do not go to the Sparkfun or DigiKey sites... It is like going to McMaster-Carr for the first time... You can't stop putting stuff in your cart.

As what the title says. Trying to gather some feedback/reviews on what kind of electronics I want to incorporate in my next build. I definitely want a camera, altimeter, and multiple sensors to show data, but what else would be great to include. Any help is appreciated!

What size rockets are we discussing here?

For LP (low power) - usually none. Occasionally, a key-chain camera (for ***** and giggles)
For MP (mid power) - usually same as above. Occasionally, a buzzer/beeper: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/rocket-finder-beepers.155799/
For HP - depends on whether it's a DD or not. Then what everyone above had mentioned.

Since you weren't very specific in your original question about what electronics we incorporate, I'll throw this one in here as well ;) .

This is my Vertical Trajectory System. It has a flight computer, four servos and some other sensors (including pitot tube) and is intended to steer the rocket vertically. It is a module that fits just behind the nosecone so the rest of the rocket just behaves like an normal HPR in regard to deployments etc. It is for a 4" diameter rocket.

VTS.jpg

It also has two telemetry transmitters. 915MHz for location downlink and a 1.3GHz video link from the HD camera on board. The video also has a data overlay provided by the flight computer.
Vid.jpg

I am hoping to get this in the air again later this year.

AtPad.jpeg

More info here

Back