What is your unique build for 2020/2021?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few projects to finish up first, but I have built several low power scale models of the Sprint ABM in the past. I'm planning on getting back in the Sprint business again...

Sprint missile...
View attachment 440172

The ones I did back when (over twenty years ago) ranged from 13mm to 24mm motors and were between 5" and 36" tall. The only one I still have is a boilerplate model about 15" tall for 18mm motors. It's pretty rough these days, but is still a good flyer.
View attachment 440170

I'm going to start with another 18mm version (I still have the patterns), but I really would like to do a large scale for high power.
How much did you recess the MMT? The main article I've read on this says to recess it 1/2 of the diameter of the rocket, but the diameter here is variable...

I'm currently starting to build a N5800 to M2245 two stager. Hopefully +1700m/s and +100km if it doesn't shred

I'm currently starting to build a N5800 to M2245 two stager. Hopefully +1700m/s and +100km if it doesn't shred

Okay, just math here but that’s approximately Mach 5.

I hope you’re making some aerospace grade construction choices, because many choices will ablate or melt from aero heating. I too would like to put something in space if only for a few seconds, but you can’t get there with just motors.

Hoping to extend my staged 1/5.5 scale sounding rocket series.
I’ve got a Nike Nike Smoke stacked. Needs some internals.
I’ve just received a photo of a Talos Terrier. I’m not going for real scale there - both stages used unusual fins and I’ve already built both stages with more standard fins.
So...
Nike Nike Smoke
Terrier Recruit
Terrier Black Brant
Talos Terrier
Talos Terrier Recruit
Talos Terrier Black Brant

That ought to keep me going for a few years.
Anyone have a picture of a Nike Nike Tomahawk? I could probably call my Apache a ‘Cajun’ for a Nike Nike Cajun flight. I’ve seen a picture of that one.

Have 2 semi-unique builds, both up scales to 4 inch tubing. 4" upscale of Apogee/Dynastar Firefox, low cost, LOC cardboard tubing, plywood wings & fins etc.. Will probably be my last cardboard HP project. Finishing that much cardboard is getting to be a chore : )

Upscale of the Estes 2030 Hornet to the "Murder Hornet" (several threads on TRF, can't call this one unique) in 4" Madcow Fiberglass. With the 4" tubing, you can fit a 1010 rail between the two sets of 5 fins. Will also have 1/8 - 1/4" rail button spacers to make rail rash go away. 3/16" G10 on fins due to over-large span.

See "length of arc" calculator link below:
https://www.piday.org/calculators/arc-length-calculator/#
Instead of USAF Air Superiority Camo (read instant disappearance at altitude, it works) may do a bright orange and chitin dark brown airbrush fade camo like the insect. More visible.

Murder Hornet.png

I saw a news article about the Alpha Draco test program, I had never heard of before, and thought it would be a good candidate for a scale project.

Unfortunately details and photographs are kind of hard to find, so this 18mm power cardstock model is more of a fun-size interpretation rather than a true scale project. It was not a missile with a live warhead but rather a ballistic test vehicle for research. It was launched on a modified Honest John mobile platform.

My build and template are posted in the cardstock forum here
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/alpha-draco-ws-199.161882
this is a photo of my build GIMPed onto a historical photo on the launcher.

F1272ABC-2FCD-4A8B-94F8-FC0EA6D72628.png

Not something you see everyday.

Last edited:
one more full-size picture, from the other thread:
2759a4f0-8b7d-4118-944c-61713e26da2e-jpeg.432720

This is an Atlas V. It's 66"longand weighs 61 ounces. 2.2" booster and 3" upper section. It has a 38mm X 15" motor mount, There are 6, 24mm SRB's with 18mm motor mounts. The SRB's are attached with Apogee SRB hooks and will separate during flight. Plan on flying it on an I175 with 6 C6-0's. Looking for 2000'.

Attachments

• 20201126_130352[52].jpg
    20201126_130352[52].jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 13
I'm hoping to build a 2-stage rocket with 3" mailing tube. Everything else will be 3D printed. Since this will test lots of new design elements, I am planning to make the whole assembly modular, so no (or at least minimal) glue will be needed.

I've had too much fun drafting these plans while attending (virtually) a conference this week. Now to fix my hotted so I can actually start building. Hopefully I'll fly this in a couple months in New Hampshire on frozen Lake Winnipesaukee.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 5.14.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 4.20.18 PM.png 128396940_10104385272370954_2734951662935727993_n.jpg 129900221_10104385548512564_8705397223979447822_n.jpg

I'd like to make progress on something that I designed last year, but haven't figured out how to handle 30 degree angles on the fins so I can glue them all together. Its an UN heavy torpedo from the series "The Expanse":

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 20.31.55 copy.jpg

Rocksim sim:

Rocksim view of latest version.png

The tricky part that I haven't figured out yet: (rear view)
sample multiple fin configuration - Copy.png

Drew,

Let me know, if you need Rheintochter data . . .

Dave F.

Hi Dave - Great Keeper of all that is scale and accurate, would you happen to have any info or data for either the Sprint or Skybolt missiles? I have been looking for a long time (especially for the Sprint) without much luck, but thought you might have come across some data that I have missed.

Of course if have anything that you don't it will be shared immediately!

Thanks!

Mike

Is the Silver hawk a kit? It's a kit, isn't it? A kit? It's going to be a kit?

I know someone in Oz who would love to sell Holverson kits...
It was a kit. The instructions are at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe. Laser files are at Thingiverse. HD has been dissolved and is not coming back. However if your friend in OZ wants to option the rights....

BTW, is there a VCP type program for the Mac? I'd like to size the fins for the AstroCam carrier.

BTW, is there a VCP type program for the Mac? I'd like to size the fins for the AstroCam carrier.

No idea. My only Mac is plastic and I wear it in the rain.

It was a kit. The instructions are at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe. Laser files are at Thingiverse. HD has been dissolved and is not coming back. However if your friend in OZ wants to option the rights....

If I had the money you'd be getting a PM. The Silver Hawk was, is and probably always will be my favourite boost glider. All the HD stuff was great, and I miss it a lot.

I have a few projects to finish up first, but I have built several low power scale models of the Sprint ABM in the past. I'm planning on getting back in the Sprint business again...

Sprint missile...
View attachment 440172

The ones I did back when (over twenty years ago) ranged from 13mm to 24mm motors and were between 5" and 36" tall. The only one I still have is a boilerplate model about 15" tall for 18mm motors. It's pretty rough these days, but is still a good flyer.
View attachment 440170

I'm going to start with another 18mm version (I still have the patterns), but I really would like to do a large scale for high power.
Very nice subject for a scale project. Have you ever done a gap-staged version of that?

I'd like to make progress on something that I designed last year, but haven't figured out how to handle 30 degree angles on the fins so I can glue them all together. Its an UN heavy torpedo from the series "The Expanse":

View attachment 441216

Rocksim sim:

View attachment 441217

View attachment 441218

Oh man! Looks like a fun and challenging build. Would love to see where that goes and how you did it.

View attachment 441216

Rocksim sim:

View attachment 441217

3D print them...

Very nice subject for a scale project. Have you ever done a gap-staged version of that?

It was on the agenda at some point, but I never got around to that part. The gap wouldn't even be very big since the first stage motor is recessed quite a bit. Too bad we can't get the old B14-0 any more!

No access to a 3d printer, probably would be way too heavy to boot.
I wouldn't assume the weight is too heavy. Plenty of all 3D printed rockets in the works on this forum and elsewhere. It depends on what size motors you're building for. If A,B,C then probably true. If D, it's a maybe. E and above would likely be fine. ABS at 60% infill would be comparable to birch plywood from a density (weight) standpoint.

You don't need a printer. Design the fins yourself (Openscad would be fine for this simple geometry) and have it printed. I've used this website a lot - https://craftcloud3d.com/ - upload your file and it finds the cheapest provider for the selected material. Turnaround is fast. A lot cheaper and easier than getting your own printer and doing all that fiddling unless you like that sort of thing. There are probably plenty of folks on this forum that would print it for you as well if you ask.

PM me the Rocksim file and I can probably whip up a Q&D fin design in Openscad and see what it weighs and the cost to get them printed. Give me a few days....

No idea. My only Mac is plastic and I wear it in the rain.

If I had the money you'd be getting a PM. The Silver Hawk was, is and probably always will be my favourite boost glider. All the HD stuff was great, and I miss it a lot.
Thanks for liking the Silver Hawk. It was my favorite of the first five.

Actually, I should be more proud of the Swinger since it was a more technically involved acheivement. The ironic problem is that it was my first RG design and it worked right off the bat. If it was more of a struggle, I would have probably designed a better glider. The okay was the enemy of the better.

Back