What is your largest cluster rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbeggs

Reaction score
I have done 43 Estes motors but couldn't find the pics for it. So, here is my "Fat Mama" upscale 6" Fat Boy kit on 31 Estes motors ( 7X E9-6's, 12X D12-5's, and 12X C6-5's ). All of them lit and used a PVC Spider design to make sure that they did.

Attachments

• Fat_Mama_02.jpg
    Fat_Mama_02.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Fat_Mama_01.jpg
    Fat_Mama_01.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 51
Largest by number of motors: 7x24. It's flown on everything from 7x D12 to G127 + 6x F30.

Largest by total impulse: 4x29. A LOC 4-29ss. Flew on four I205s to around 9,000 feet.
First flight on four G80-FWLs, presented in glorious VHS-C definition:

Last edited:
Not exactly a cluster, but not exactly not either.
Not exactly "large", but that depends on what is meant by "large".
But what the hey, I'll post it:

nineplusthree-photos-jpg.159093

Thread about it here....... 4 stage, 3-way cluster??? Future History | The Rocketry Forum

yep,
s6

Regular size Ultimate. 4" with 7 29 mm mounts. On 7 Estes F15s.

Bt60 version with 13 mm mounts. Survived a 3 D40-13 (Rx) cluster and will fly on 7 A10-3s No video.
3" version with 24 mm mounts, gets about 1000' on 7 E12s. Here on E9-6s.

Ultimate Max, 5.5" with 38 mm mounts. Last flight a year ago on a J250 and 3 Rx H130 smoky.

Plan to build a 2.6 (BT80) version with 18 mm mounts for the Rx motors I've been making.

Have been building and flying model rockets since the 4th grade (1971 or so), and so far have never built or flown a cluster rocket! Have now built two mid-power rockets, but never a cluster. Does that make me a bad person??? :questions:

My largest is only 6 D12's in the N-1, but I had a lot of fun doing it. I launched twice this way and all the motors ignited both times.
<<snip>>
I guess that's the main reason I never did clusters... aside from the cost (yeah, yeah.... I know, still cheaper than G reloads for my ARCAS). I know there are ways to ensure all motors light, such as using the latest Estes igniters, but I just never tried it. Maybe it's time now? If I didn't have so many Estes kits waiting to be built right now (enough to last me until I'm 110-years old), I just might go shopping for a cluster kit, or scratch-build my own! ;)

Scratch-built, 9" Patriot missile. 4" center core and 8 - 38mm outboards. It can be flown with2, 4, or 6 outboards. The remaining 2 are to be used for timer modules I made.
I've attempted tests with the CTI igniters from the reload, did not fire. I'll use the black Davey-fires next time.

Attachments

• 1212.jpg
    1212.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 29mm Timer Modules.jpg
    29mm Timer Modules.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 38mm Timer Module - Assembly.jpg
    38mm Timer Module - Assembly.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 35
I guess that's the main reason I never did clusters... aside from the cost (yeah, yeah.... I know, still cheaper than G reloads for my ARCAS). I know there are ways to ensure all motors light, such as using the latest Estes igniters, but I just never tried it. Maybe it's time now? If I didn't have so many Estes kits waiting to be built right now (enough to last me until I'm 110-years old), I just might go shopping for a cluster kit, or scratch-build my own! ;)
Carpe Diem!

Scratch-built, 9" Patriot missile. 4" center core and 8 - 38mm outboards. It can be flown with2, 4, or 6 outboards. The remaining 2 are to be used for timer modules I made.
I've attempted tests with the CTI igniters from the reload, did not fire. I'll use the black Davey-fires next time.

Are those battery holders in the second photo for the little 12-volt cells?

Are those battery holders in the second photo for the little 12-volt cells?
Yes, 38mm modules withAddidtive Aerospace sleds and that is a 9v battery holder.
The 29mm modules use a stack of silver oxide batteries sealed in a short piece of heat shrink. (6 make for a 9v source).The 12v single battery that would fit in the holder can't generate enough amperage to fire igniters.

7, D12's in a loc ultimate. Then used 4, G125's and 3, H128's at black Rock. If you like to cluster the loc ultimate your ride.

My largest was a Q total impulse: We flew 13 CTI M1300 motors.

You can find it on YouTube by searching "Baby Q rocket" or 'ROCKETS Mag Balls 23'
As I have said before "I will not do another cluster, and this time I really mean it."

Attachments

• 1624888664365.png
    1624888664365.png
    746 KB · Views: 27
This is one of my smaller clusters. This was at LDRS in Argonia in 2008. I had three CTI J335 Redline motors.

Attachments

• Fintastic_01.jpg
    Fintastic_01.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Fintastic_02.jpg
    Fintastic_02.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Fintastic_03.jpg
    Fintastic_03.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 12
Launched a Rocketarium 29mm with 3-F or G motors.

Built a LOC Magnum with a 54mm center and 6-29mm holes. It is still waiting for the right day.

LOC Ultimate, 6x F42+1x H180. The H didn't come up to pressure until about 20 feet above the ground.

Great kit and I like seeing it on 7x F15. May have to build another one but with better fin attachment.

Starleopard blue thunder cluster, This was my go to configuration in the early days. Central K1100,I435X2,I300X2,H242X2

Attachments

• starleopardcluster_orig.jpg
    starleopardcluster_orig.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 16
NCR Cluster Duck - 1 central 24mm and 6 outboard 18mm. I've only flown it once so far on a central D12-5 and 6 epoxy-plugged C6-0's, but learned when one outboard motor failed to ignite not to allow the ignition wires from one motor to pass directly under the exhaust of of another motor.

That one motor that didn't light was still plugged and had the igniter in it, with the leads shortened and burnt black at the ends of what was left.

Only eight, 4 D12 3 in the engine nacelles and 4 C 60 in the fuselage, 2 canted tractors in front and 2 mid cant. Widely spaced in pods and plugged canted tractor motors all in one. Displaying all the hallmarks of poor rocket design, one member described it as being conjured in the deepest recesses of dark side necromancy, a true abomination.
IMG_20140620_213209129.jpg

Attachments

• lancaster take off.JPG
    lancaster take off.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 10
Back