What is your favorite OOP model rocket kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,
What is your favorite Out Of Production (OOP) model rocket kit? I would have to say mine is the Estes Sentinel. I built my Sentinel to fly with a 2-18mm engine cluster using a FlisKits cluster engine mount kit. I especially like the extra long nose cone. Looks cool and flies great.

Brian

thats tough...I have so many favorite oop's
One would be the Estes BT-80 V2

Another vote for the BT 80 based V2/Silver Comet. Very versetile kits.

Originally posted by Jacques
The Estes Saturn 1B in 1/70th scale! Best scale kit ever made!

ditto. it was the best. Was also my first cluster and I toasted it on its first launch with only 2 of the 4 motors lighting... I taught myself clusters after *that* mishap... LOL

Others would include the Sputnik and Spaceman

I vote for the Sat 1b. Big, bad, and REAL. Plus, it is the ONE that got away... I never had one as a kid and ALWAYS wanted one.

I am attempting to assemble the parts to build one using parts and plans from Kosdon, ESTES, and the apogee capsule.

Fred

In order of coolness:

1/70 Saturn 1B
Omega/Cineroc
Interceptor
Orbital Transport

I never had any of them while in original production. I now have a couple re-releases of the OT, and I've built a clone of the Omega/Cineroc with TV transmitter. I also finally got hold of an Interceptor a couple of years back...haven't decided whether to build it or save it. I'll proably build it. :D

I sure wish they would re-release the old 1/70 Saturn 1B. I know Apogee has one, but I've burned out (pun intended) on HPR and want to stick with LPR stuff now.

Goblin!
With E9's, would be even more fun. Nice high flight, and then that beautiful huge streamer.

Estes Pro-Series Terrier/Sandhawk.

Just plain pretty!

sandman

Estes Optima! I just recall how BIG it was! I finally got a hold of one on eBay last year. I remember going to a local launch where composite motors were being flown. I quickly realized how *little* the Optima was. The more I think of it though, for a BP single engined rocket, it *is* big! Maybe one day I'll put it together. I just can't decide on a motor mount.

I always liked the Bomarc since it was one of my first kits - and it was one that "never got away". I would have to say the Interceptor is definitely in my top 10 though!

Hands down - I gotta say the Mars Lander. That thing is just so cool looking as it sets down on those spring-loaded legs!

Greg

My favorite Centuri kit is the E.S.S. Raven. My favorite Estes kit would be the Condor. (The mini-brute version, not the twin glider version.)

The Bandit was one of my favorites. I am still intrigued by gas cooling baffel.

I never had the Cineroc, but I had the Omega lift vehicle. Great kit and great in the air. Back then, D 2-stage was really something to behold! You can see the influence of this kit in the FlisKits Cheetah! design. Just love them trapizoid fins :)

Oh, tough one! Well, my favorite OOP's that I always wanted but still don't have would be Mars lander, Little Joe II, and Terrier Sandhawk.

My favorites that I have/had are Ltv Scout, Space shuttle (full stack), and Blue Bird Zero.

Glenn

I would have to say the recently OOP Estes Mosquito and Estes Black Brant II are two of my favorites.

I would say the OOP Estes Big Dawg , I loved the stubby look and lines of it..it was eaten by a field sad to say. :(

Now I have to get another since you brought this subject up! :mad: memories ::)

By far my favorite OOP kit, the Estes CATO. I love the way this rocket breaks apart in flight.

I've flown mine about a dozen times now. It is a bit of a pain in the neck to reassemble but it is well worth it.

You can even see the review I wrote on it on EMRR.

An interesting note, I heard this kit was designed by Tim Van-Mulligan of Apogee while he worked for Estes.

Got to second that comment about the Omega. Most fun I've ever had with a rocket before or since.

Got the Omega first. Flew it several times, in 3 different states--Colorado, Texas, and California. Then I bought the Cineroc. Got 3 movies out of it before it died of the infamous "Estes shock cord failure" syndrome. Now I know what to do with Estes shock cords.

Wow....No Der Red Max mentioned? I have to say the Goblin even though there are clone kits out.

No Der Red Max mentioned?

LOL!!That's 'cause everyone that wants one has cloned it already! Or from what I've seen...two or three!

sandman:D

Well... here I go again. I love the Intercepter(so does my son) Never flew until I became a B.A.R. and still fly it, just like my OverDue. I rebuilt my Omega, and its never flown as a two stage. The first time I tried the D- booster catoed and did a job on the rocket hence the rebuild. The Goblin, and Cherokee D are also favorites.....Larry

Latest posts

Back