What is your favorite OOP model rocket kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just snagged this! Woo-Hoo!
If you are going to either build it or use it for cloning to save the original, here is the most awesome paint scheme for that rocket. Flight Argo-D4

Scans from actual NASA Photos. I flew one of these at Lucerne dry lake, Cali early 90's G80, F44, F32... The Nike syages were 24mm Motor mount tube 1", The Honest John was BT-60 filled inside the entire length with stage couplers for strength... Staging done with PyroFuse, which Is almost impossible to come by anymore... (It is a bi-metal wire [Nickel-Palladium] that exothermically alloys, burn rate 24"/sec.)

NASA_WALLOPS W-63-128LR.jpgNASA_WALLOPS W-63-129LR.jpgNASA_WALLOPS W-63-130LR.jpg

and I thought the ACME Spitfire was "The Far Side Rocket"
https://www.rocketreviews.com/image-fliskits-acme-spitfire-inspiration-400-600-110811162723858.gif
image-fliskits-acme-spitfire-inspiration-400-600-110811162723858.gif

https://www.rocketreviews.com/acme-spitfire---fliskits.html
but not OOP:
https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/acme-spitfire/

Yes, I did . . . 2 or 3 of them.

Back in the day, I converted it to 3 stages ( mercury switch / flashbulb system ) . . . To keep it "Safety Code Legal", back then, it was flown E60-4, D12-5, D12-7.

Dave F.
We’re all of your stagings successful? What was an average altitude?

We’re all of your stagings successful? What was an average altitude?

Steve,

Yes, all of the staging was successful . . . As for altitude, remember that this was the late 1980's, when electronics were basically non-existent and motor ejection was used on all three stages. Without an altimater or the use of optical tracking, altitudes were, at best, guesses !

The staging method used Mercury Switches with AG-1 Flashbulbs/Thermalite or FSI Electric Matches. Once armed, everything was "hot" and it was going to fire, no matter what or wherever the rocket happened to be pointed, at the time.

Dave F.

javelin4.jpg

Attachments

• javelin4.jpg
    javelin4.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Steve,

Yes, all of the staging was successful . . . As for altitude, remember that this was the late 1980's, when electronics were basically non-existent and motor ejection was used on all three stages. Without an altimater or the use of optical tracking, altitudes were, at best, guesses !

The staging method used Mercury Switches with AG-1 Flashbulbs/Thermalite or FSI Electric Matches. Once armed, everything was "hot" and it was going to fire, no matter what or wherever the rocket happened to be pointed, at the time.

Dave F.

View attachment 480664
Cool! Did you ever try to calculate mass/thrust approximations?

Estes Sahara. We couldn't get them in Canada. I have one built up Argent and a second in the package, which is basically the same thing but larger. I will probably order the Vanderburn version if Launch Lab is still carrying that kit.

Anything between the Estes 1976 Catalog up until 97 98 after that not so much.

The Estes PSII Nike Smoke - I procrastinated during the Hobbico pre-bankuptcy selldown and missed out (the Cosmodrome version is just a bit smaller so I need to get one bought and in the shop…).

Estes Orbital Transporter with the piggyback glider.

Someone puts out a clone, but I never cared for those in model trains. I certainly wouldn't want a cloned kit.

I would have to say I have at least 3. Estes Screaming Eagle I just love the look of it and really cool build, the interceptor which I sadly lost to a asphalt sidewalk in the middle of a giant field! I mean really who the hell does that, there is nothing there but more field! I want the interceptor E more and more everyday. So if you have one for sale I'm your guy lol. And last but not least blue bird zero with her beautiful lines the Sharp graphics and with the right blue could hands down be the most beautiful rocket I have ever laid eyes on! Kind of makes my heart flutter a bit. I think and upscale version is in my near future now lol. My wife's going to kill me.

…And last but not least blue bird zero with her beautiful lines the Sharp graphics and with the right blue could hands down be the most beautiful rocket I have ever laid eyes on! Kind of makes my heart flutter a bit. I think and upscale version is in my near future now lol. My wife's going to kill me.

You could go MMX downscale, easier on the wallet, and the wife, happy life!

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-micro-mx-blue-bird-zero-kmx-06/

Estes' 1638296178692.png 36 D Squared. Not only do I like the rocket, but I had several ides for using those odd BT-70 to twin BT -0's reducers.
Unfortunately it went OOP before I had a chance to purchase any beyond the one I built stock.
P.S. The above photo is not my rocket.

the estes Sizzler #2127 rear deploy

Attachments

• 20211123_214809.jpg
    20211123_214809.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
1. Interceptor E
2. Super Vega

There are other oop kits I'd like to look at...but those two are the only ones I'd (probably) buy. I just ordered nose cones, couplers, and body tubes to (attempt to) make a Super Vega and a Super Big Bertha. MMT, centering ring stock and fin stock, parachutes, shock cord material, got all that already.

Just scored this beauty and they have 3 screaming eagle kits in the original packaging!!

Attachments

• 16385538387826948884917914974878.jpg
    16385538387826948884917914974878.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 14
Back