What is your favorite OOP model rocket kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillEblurzz,

Those are some awesome rockets! I'm jealous!

Bob

Don't be jealous...be motivated!

Motivated?....... I have a "must build" list as long as my arm now:D :D

And I see another one to add to the list... SUPER VEGA :)

In the meantime until I can get to them, I will still be at least slightly envious :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Without a doubt

Estes Interceptor

It was just so cool looking.

Oh my god, absolutely.

I built an Interceptor near the end of my first rocketry life in about 1972 (when I was 13), and it was my absolute pride and joy. That thing looked sharp!!

So then, of course, like so many others, I took about a 20-year time-out from the hobby, and then one fine day dug a crate of dusty rocket stuff out of dad's attic and decided to get back into it.

So I dug out the beautiful Interceptor, which miraculously had been safely stored all those years, and decided to head out to a local launch being held that weekend. Maybe 100 people were there, all admiring the Interceptor.

It flies great a couple times, then the wind shifts and it gets devoured by a freakin' 100-foot tree. :( :( :mad: :mad: I drove back to that field every week for a year hoping against hope it would fall out (or at least the nose cone and tail cone would so I could clone it. But NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :mad: :mad: )

And in the meantime, I got transferred to another job, etc etc, lived in a place where I couldn't build rockets - so there's another 10 years out of rocketry. Now I finally have a job with the time to do it and a house with a decent workshop , so it's time for Chapter III of my rocketry life.

Man, I wish Estes would reissue the Interceptor. :cool::D

My favorite was and still the Estes Ram Target Drone.
The ribs between the tubes were a pain, but worth the trouble.
Painted orange and silver it still looks, and flys good today.:)

Originally posted by Chr$
Centuri: Jayhawk
Estes: Colonial Viper

Yep, the viper is a nice rocket:
viper_side.jpg

As for what is my fav OOP model? There are so many and I honestly can't decide. Estes, Centuri and others made some really nice rockets in the past.

I just can't feel any vibs for rockets being sold nowadyas :( except maybe the Fat Boy :)

My Favorite used to be the Estes Starship Excalibur.S S Excalibur B.JPG
Then it was the Estes USS AmericaUSS_America_rocket_kit__67363.1434512914.500.659.jpg
Now I'm really into the Estes Sentinel
Two Sentinels.jpg

Estes Wolverine.

Though I had larger engined rockets in the day, as a kid I could afford more mini-brute launches, and the Wolverine had that exotic look to it. I hope to scratch build an upscale sometime.

WOW!!! Talk about Necro Thread! 15 years since the last post and this is active again...

Estes Cineroc/Omega combo

Agree with KTesh.
After I posted I thought it was odd that many of the kits mentioned had been rereleased by Estes or done by another company. Then I noticed the 2004 dates on prior posts. I think it's good a 15 year old thread came back to life. Probably pretty rare, too.

The Estes Explorer Aquarius & the Multi-ROC!

Oh, wait...

what do you call a model that is back in Production after it has been OOP, P-OOP?

For the future, next time this thread gets Necro’d like in 15 years from now, the best OOP kit is the Estes #1969 Saturn V 50th anniversary edition!

Last edited:
I got back in to rocketry because one day, out of the blue, the thought of the (original) Estes Scissor Wing Transport jumped into my mind and wouldn't leave. I never owned one as a kid :(
For me, it was the kit I mentioned before in this thread... The Estes Cineroc/Omega. I bought a Centuri Saturn V (clustered motors) from one of my band teachers, and he gave me the Estes and Centuri 1971 Catalogs. While, the Omega was in the 1983 catalog which was my first, I didn't pay it much attention. The Cineroc/Omega, however, caught my eye (and heart) the instant I first saw it. This was in the days long before the internet. I didn't manage to score one until 2013, and only then with the help of a couple of members.

Oh, wait...

what do you call a model that is back in Production after it has been OOP, P-OOP?

Interchangeably I say "It's Baaaacccckkk!!!!", "Re-Issued", "In Production", or "Re-Released".

Last edited:
There are a couple I liked.

I would love to get an Estes Space Shuttle Columbia again, which was my very first rocket. I made mistakes on the build and tried to retire it a couple times when I would rob parts for other builds. But it kept coming back and flew over 30 times before it got killed with a hard landing.

Estes Vindicator I would also love to find. Sure it wasn't as sexy as the Interceptor, but I loved it even though mine only did three flights before I lost it.

One I never had and would love to get would be the Estes Space Transport America, which was based on the original space shuttle concept before it became what we know today. I have never seen one in the flesh but always enjoyed looking at it in the catalogs circa 1980 to 84.

Back