What is your favorite OOP model rocket kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

billeblurzz

Reaction score
While waiting on MEGA ANDROMEDA and FARSCAPE, this is a fun flyer: SILVER COMET :)

BobH48

Reaction score
BillEblurzz,

Those are some awesome rockets! I'm jealous!

Bob

BobH48

Reaction score
Don't be jealous...be motivated!
Motivated?....... I have a "must build" list as long as my arm now:D :D

And I see another one to add to the list... SUPER VEGA :)

In the meantime until I can get to them, I will still be at least slightly envious :rolleyes:

JStarStar

Reaction score
Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Without a doubt

Estes Interceptor

It was just so cool looking.
Oh my god, absolutely.

I built an Interceptor near the end of my first rocketry life in about 1972 (when I was 13), and it was my absolute pride and joy. That thing looked sharp!!

So then, of course, like so many others, I took about a 20-year time-out from the hobby, and then one fine day dug a crate of dusty rocket stuff out of dad's attic and decided to get back into it.

So I dug out the beautiful Interceptor, which miraculously had been safely stored all those years, and decided to head out to a local launch being held that weekend. Maybe 100 people were there, all admiring the Interceptor.

It flies great a couple times, then the wind shifts and it gets devoured by a freakin' 100-foot tree. :( :( :mad: :mad: I drove back to that field every week for a year hoping against hope it would fall out (or at least the nose cone and tail cone would so I could clone it. But NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :mad: :mad: )

And in the meantime, I got transferred to another job, etc etc, lived in a place where I couldn't build rockets - so there's another 10 years out of rocketry. Now I finally have a job with the time to do it and a house with a decent workshop , so it's time for Chapter III of my rocketry life.

Man, I wish Estes would reissue the Interceptor. :cool::D

stevecarr

Reaction score
My favorite was and still the Estes Ram Target Drone.
The ribs between the tubes were a pain, but worth the trouble.
Painted orange and silver it still looks, and flys good today.:)

Chr$

Reaction score
Centuri: Jayhawk
Estes: Colonial Viper

Leo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chr$
Centuri: Jayhawk
Estes: Colonial Viper
Yep, the viper is a nice rocket:

As for what is my fav OOP model? There are so many and I honestly can't decide. Estes, Centuri and others made some really nice rockets in the past.

I just can't feel any vibs for rockets being sold nowadyas :( except maybe the Fat Boy :)

Event Horizon

Reaction score
My Favorite used to be the Estes Starship Excalibur.
S S Excalibur B.JPG

Then it was the Estes USS America
USS_America_rocket_kit__67363.1434512914.500.659.jpg

Now I'm really into the Estes Sentinel
Two Sentinels.jpg

Raindog

Reaction score
I got back in to rocketry because one day, out of the blue, the thought of the (original) Estes Scissor Wing Transport jumped into my mind and wouldn't leave. I never owned one as a kid :(

BWP

Reaction score
Estes Wolverine.

Though I had larger engined rockets in the day, as a kid I could afford more mini-brute launches, and the Wolverine had that exotic look to it. I hope to scratch build an upscale sometime.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
WOW!!! Talk about Necro Thread! 15 years since the last post and this is active again...

Estes Cineroc/Omega combo

BWP

Reaction score
Agree with KTesh.
After I posted I thought it was odd that many of the kits mentioned had been rereleased by Estes or done by another company. Then I noticed the 2004 dates on prior posts. I think it's good a 15 year old thread came back to life. Probably pretty rare, too.

GlenP

Reaction score
The Estes Explorer Aquarius & the Multi-ROC!

Oh, wait...

what do you call a model that is back in Production after it has been OOP, P-OOP?

For the future, next time this thread gets Necro’d like in 15 years from now, the best OOP kit is the Estes #1969 Saturn V 50th anniversary edition!

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
I got back in to rocketry because one day, out of the blue, the thought of the (original) Estes Scissor Wing Transport jumped into my mind and wouldn't leave. I never owned one as a kid :(
For me, it was the kit I mentioned before in this thread... The Estes Cineroc/Omega. I bought a Centuri Saturn V (clustered motors) from one of my band teachers, and he gave me the Estes and Centuri 1971 Catalogs. While, the Omega was in the 1983 catalog which was my first, I didn't pay it much attention. The Cineroc/Omega, however, caught my eye (and heart) the instant I first saw it. This was in the days long before the internet. I didn't manage to score one until 2013, and only then with the help of a couple of members.

Oh, wait...

what do you call a model that is back in Production after it has been OOP, P-OOP?
Interchangeably I say "It's Baaaacccckkk!!!!", "Re-Issued", "In Production", or "Re-Released".

Last edited:

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Estes : Astron Scrambler, A20 Demon, Bandit, Farside-X

Centuri : Orion, Aero-Dart, T-Bird, Enerjet Egg Crate

FSI : BLACK BRANT II, OSO, EOS, Argo D-4 Javelin

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I never thought much of the Space Transporter America until I saw John Brohm's build, which just about blew my mind. I still probably wouldn't call it my favorite necessarily, maybe fair to call it most under-appreciated.

Jay Chladek

Reaction score
There are a couple I liked.

I would love to get an Estes Space Shuttle Columbia again, which was my very first rocket. I made mistakes on the build and tried to retire it a couple times when I would rob parts for other builds. But it kept coming back and flew over 30 times before it got killed with a hard landing.

Estes Vindicator I would also love to find. Sure it wasn't as sexy as the Interceptor, but I loved it even though mine only did three flights before I lost it.

One I never had and would love to get would be the Estes Space Transport America, which was based on the original space shuttle concept before it became what we know today. I have never seen one in the flesh but always enjoyed looking at it in the catalogs circa 1980 to 84.

NJRick

Saturn 1b nut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b and the Estes Nike Ajax