What is your favorite kind of pizza.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locally - Ken's Artisan Pizza - love their Soppressata.
My daughter lived just two blocks away for a decade so we ate their often.
Worst part of her recent move.
Consistently nationally ranked.

I need to eat non-dairy pizza due to lactose intolerance and I love my wife too much to subject her to the consequences of indulgence.

That said, a ton of non-dairy pizzas now exist for those with faulty guts like mine. So I can live again.

How about worst pizza?

For me it was in Italy years ago. It was like cheese on a cracker! 😝
Don't know about current times but back in the 70s/80s pizza in Italy was just basically bread with your meal. Dough, light sauce and a sprinkling of parm. American style pizza didn't exist, that I ever found. 😊

My wife was telling me that there is a local pizza place called Marcos which sells a pizza and they described the small pepperoni as "old school style" and it's supposedly curls up and has grease in the bottom so that's what I'm ordering next time
You will like it...a lot.

Homemade: very light, thick crust with LOTS of bubbles, allowed to hydrate and rise in the fridge at least 24 hours before. Sauce is ordinary except for lots of olive oil and home-grown basil. Good-quality provolone ("too much provolone" is inherently contradictory, an oxymoron;)) plus a healthy dose of asiago. Pepperoni, almost enough to cover the cheese. Sliced green olives in the spaces between pepperoni (I know, olives are anathema. Shoot me. Sue me. Swat my hand with a ruler, nun-style. Whatever.:)).

Properly baked, the pepperoni should have crunchy edges and some of the exposed provolone should be well-browned, not quite burnt.

[Huge change from central PA pizza. Until I was in high school I thought all pizza came as rectangular/square "cuts", with a skimpy covering of some sort of cheezoid material---possibly a mineral byproduct---and a single disc of pepperoni in the center. Round pizza was a fiction, seen only on TV and newspaper ads.]

[Huge change from central PA pizza. Until I was in high school I thought all pizza came as rectangular/square "cuts", with a skimpy covering of some sort of cheezoid material---possibly a mineral byproduct---and a single disc of pepperoni in the center. Round pizza was a fiction, seen only on TV and newspaper ads.]
Western PA as well... Oh, yes, I remember... and I loved it! (kids...)

"too much provolone" is inherently contradictory, an oxymoron...
except on pizza. Pizza gets mozzarella, period. Grated parmesan is acceptable at the table along with the garlic powder and crushed red pepper if you swing that way, but in the oven goes no cheese other than mozzarella. All else is sin.

Completely agreed. Being from Chicago, we know better than to tell out of towners where the good stuff is at. We always tell people to go to Ginos, Connies, Lou Malanti's, Giordano's etc. etc. as we don' want you clogging up the small places with the good stuff.

Actually Gino's isn't terrible and if I was forced to eat at a chain that would be my choice. The rest are like eating vomit on bread.

As a native of Chicago you wouldn't be caught dead at one of those places. Funny thing is that everyone that comes in from out of town thinks those places are the best pizza they've ever eaten. Goes to show how bad pizza in other areas really is.
For the bronze medal, I think Lou's is pretty legit, deep dish sausage, pepperoni, mushroom.

Silver medal: https://pequodspizza.com/chicago/?utm_source=google_my_business&utm_medium=organic

Gold: https://www.fornorossopizzeria.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=gmb&utm_campaign=fornorosso

Good-quality provolone ("too much provolone" is inherently contradictory, an oxymoron;))

except on pizza. Pizza gets mozzarella, period. Grated parmesan is acceptable at the table along with the garlic powder and crushed red pepper if you swing that way, but in the oven goes no cheese other than mozzarella. All else is sin.
Oh, come on you two, for the love of cheeses!

I made a batch of pizza dough, now rising in the fridge which will be baked tomorrow or Friday. I started a small Sourdough starter a few days ago which is starting to shkw signs of fermentation.

Oh, another Pittsburgher?! We should form a group! And go get pizza!
I grew up in Penn Hills, moved away in 1970. My family still talks about Della Salla's in Verona. I don't have much else to compare it to in the area, (I was 16 when we left) but any time we are all in the area for a reunion or whatever we try to get pizza from there. Kind of a rectangular pan pizza, Sicilian style.
Blair

Last edited:
Rethinking my previous answer, I should have said the Clifford's Classic from Cliff's Cafe Tega Cay, SC, but that pie is long gone. Cliff's was a place we went 2-3 times a week and surprisingly was run by a guy names Cliff. Sandwiches during the day (perfect Club) and pizza at night except for Friday's or during winter, when the pizza oven ran all day. Clam Chowder was on Wednesdays.

Anyway, Cliff's was in a strip shopping center and he employed a bunch of teenagers and young adults over the years in the Tega Cay region (small golf community in SC). Cliff was an awesome guy, but he had a weird accent compared to the NC/SC crowd. Nonetheless, when it cam time to renew the lease on his unit, apparently the neighbor unit 'renewed' early and asked for Cliff's unit to expand and the owner complied. Cliff (20+ years in the unit) was not allowed to renew the lease with only a few months left. There was a protest, newspaper article and a going-away party, and members of the community helped move the equipment to storage in hopes of Cliff's 2, but regretfully it never materialized.

Clifford's Classic was a typical NYC crust, but a bit sweet - just right. The sauce involved at least one bottle of red wine for around 2-5 gallons of tomatoes (guessing. . .maybe it was 10 bottles. . . ) and the toppings were the typical pepperoni, green peppers, onions and mushrooms. While you could order any toppings you wanted, why wouldn't you just do the classic? The pizza was a tad sweet, but the onions and peppers made it a great combination. It was always cooked to perfection and was something I would pay $50/slice for today if I could simply experience it again. It isn't worth $50/slice for anyone other than someone who had it and misses it. It is the standard I try to make pizza by and I fail 100% of the time.

So, even though my previous post mentioned a bunch of pizzas I enjoy today, scratch that and without question Cliff's Cafe used to make my favorite pizza.

Sausage and pineapple. When sharing pizza, it looks horrible so others leave it alone and more for me. I learned this in the Army. :)
This is sort of the opposite of the Vegetarian Pizza Conundrum. The VPC says that in any group pizza buy, the veggie one is nearly always the first one gone. The reason is that only one veggie pizza is bought because there's only one vegetarian. However, the veggie pizza looks good enough to enough people that they take a slice. Before you know it, it's the first one gone.

Back