What is your favorite kind of pizza.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
medium to thin crust, with mushrooms and ground beef. sometimes pepperoni. That's what we had to eat tonight.

Last edited:
We make our own most of the time. Lately I've been making a Neopolitan style dough topped with hot italian sausage, red peppers, and dollops of ricotta. My home oven doesn't get quite enough for the true thing, but it is still better than most take out.

I also like making Chicago style deep dish usually just topped with homemade sausage and pepperoni.

Thin crust, meat lovers or the other chain's equivalent. The crust needs to be less than 1/2 the total thickness of the pie.

Thin crust, meat lovers or the other chain's equivalent. The crust needs to be less than 1/2 the total thickness of the pie.
Same here. I used to like thin crust sausage from Pizza Inn, I don't know what happened to them but now I have to go to Pizza Hut or our local Marcos.

I grew up in NYC by Little Italy, so I had a steady supply of great pizza; however...

My favorite as a teen was a fresh hot slice of Sicilian at a tony pizzeria in Flushing, Queens that had people waiting in line to get a hit slice.

Also I love "Hawaiian" pizza (ham and pineapple), which I tried later in life.

Homemade, the way mom does it. Dough from scratch, thin crust, good fresh homemade mozzarella; either Blanco, or (homemade) basil pesto. And kalamata olives. There is no other!

Except for one hole in the wall in Berkeley, since 1975, by the slice, Neopolitan or Sicilian.

And actually, Amici's NY style is pretty good, especially when I'm tired or lazy.

Pepperoni pizza that I and my wife make ourselves from scratch. Not a fan of a crazy number of toppings that overwhelm the good old sauce and cheese, or of most restaurant pizza.

Antares family style pizza:

Crust:
2 cups bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup water
1-1/4 tsp yeast
Dash of milk
1 tsp sugar

Put flour, salt, oil, and milk in mixing bowl. Put water, sugar, and yeast in cup and stir to activate yeast. Pour water and yeast mix into bowl with flour, mix, knead, cover and let rise for 1-2 hours depending on your yeast. Makes enough dough for one pizza.

Sauce:
1 28-oz can Contadina tomato sauce
1 28-oz can Contadina tomato puree
1 6-oz can Contadina tomato paste
Oregano
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Small onion
Heaping teaspoon of minced garlic
Sugar/bay leaves (optional)

Empty the cans of sauce and puree into a big pot. Run some hot water in your sink and rinse the cans, filling one can with water and adding it to the sauce. Stir and start heating the sauce. Add oregano, basil, salt, and pepper to taste. I usually coat the surface of the sauce with oregano and basil, stir, and add a few shakes of salt and pepper. Cut the heat back to a minimum as the sauce starts to steam. Cut the onion up and run it and the heaping teaspoon of garlic through a food processor until there are no chunks. Add this mix to the pot and stir.

Empty can of paste into a mixing bowl. Rinse the can out with water and add the water to the bowl. mix until there are no big lumps. Add mix to the sauce and stir. This extra paste thickens the sauce a bit so it isn't overly watery.

Add about 2 tbsp sugar and/or bay leaves as needed to reduce acidity. Allow to simmer for a few hours.

This makes a lot more sauce than you need for one pizza, but this sauce freezes well. My wife and I usually store it in 8-oz sour cream tubs or equivalents, as this size container holds enough sauce for one pizza. Just get one out of the freezer in the morning when you are planning another pizza night.

Cheese:

Yes, we shred our own cheese. The following is the mix of cheese we like but obviously this can be modified to suit your personal taste. You don't need to get out the scale and be super precise with these proportions. I usually just eyeball it.

4 parts mozzarella
2 parts provolone
1 part parmesan
1 part romano
1 part asiago

Making the pizza:

Preheat oven to 425 F. Coat a pan with nonstick cooking spray and spread the dough on it. Bake the DOUGH ALONE for five minutes. Apply cooking spray to another pan, flip the crust onto it, and bake the crust upside-down for another five minutes.

Baking the dough alone this way ensures the dough is thoroughly baked, so you don't end up with properly melted cheese on top of incompletely baked dough, as is a problem with a lot of homemade pizza.

After this baking, flip the dough back right-side up and evaluate it. If needed, put it back in for another three minutes.

Once your dough is done, add your sauce, cheese, and toppings. Put it back in the oven until the cheese is melted and the edges are golden-brown. Remove from the oven, slice, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Uh oh, I can see this drifting in to the "perfect tomato sauce" thread... With a detour through "the best olive oil"...

Completely impossible for me to answer. There are so many varieties of pizza that are *not* typical pizza and are very tasty.

Wolfman Pizza (Charlotte, NC) has a great hamburger pizza (ground beef, pickles, onions and sauce that is mustard and ketchup, I think) as well as the New Mexico, which has the 'sauce' made from beans. Both great meals. My wife gets the potato pizza, but she has questionable tastes at times.

Another place, Inzio (Charlotte, NC) claims to be a Neapolitan pizzeria, but I spent a good bit of time in Naples and it is an American version at best. Having said that, they have a pistachio pizza that is amazing and yes, it is mostly pistachio nuts, garlic, mozzarella and olive oil for the 'sauce'. Everybody thinks its gross until they eat it, but then they convert. Nice thin crust.

I wish I could get the same Pizza Hut pepperoni and extra cheese that I had as a kid from time to time, but it just isn't the same. Papa's pizza (also local chain) is close, but still not what I had as a kid. I would like a Pizza Inn Supreme to try again, but none around here.

There are some other pizza stores/chains that are decent for sure locally. In general I prefer a pepperoni, onion, green pepper and mushroom, but some are best as just mushroom and onion.

When we home cook pizza, its either veggie or Mexican most often and always thin crust. At times, we do it in the oven at 500 deg, other times on the grill at 'sear your soul' setting.

I like creativity in pizza, but if given only one choice, I would be a pepperoni and extra cheese on a legit New York style or the old school Pizza Hut deep dish dough.

Good thread. Sharing recipes like @Antares JS did can only help the world to be a better place, so if you've got one, I'm going to try it!

Now I'm hungry, but I at least know what I'm eating for lunch tomorrow. . .

Sandy.

Never from a chain. True New York style, which is hard to find outside of the "pizza triangle"; that goes from the Bronx to Queens to Trenton. Outside that it's a search, and the further away the harder the search becomes.

My favorite toppings are peperoni and onions. But as long as there are no mushrooms, olives, or green peppers, I'll eat it happily.

Last edited:
Left New York 50 years ago for Texas. The ONLY thing I miss about NY is the pizza.

My all time favorite was a local shop in Ohio ( not in existence now). They used quarter sized pepperoni, and when you opened up the box, all the pepperoni were curled up into a bowl shape and were filled with grease. In my 60's now, that was one of the most unique tasting pizzas we ever ate. Thin crust too.

My all time favorite was a local shop in Ohio ( not in existence now). They used quarter sized pepperoni, and when you opened up the box, all the pepperoni were curled up into a bowl shape and were filled with grease. In my 60's now, that was one of the most unique tasting pizzas we ever ate. Thin crust too.
That description reminded of this... :)

We have seen Hormel has a "cup 'n crisp" pepperoni at our grocery store that is as you describe. I've seen other places refer to that as "old fashioned pepperoni."

Home made thin crust, no sauce, with pepperoni, pineapple and black olives, topped with mozzarella and parmesan.

Back