What is your favorite candy that is not longer made?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hershey's Bar None. I understand someone is attempting a revival of the marque

There was a hard candy that was kind of a carmel and butterscotch mix. It came from Scotland. My grandmother, also from Scotland, would give it to us when we visited. I have seen it a few times in the U.S. but haven't seen it in decades. Just remembered it had a Thistle near the top of the package and the candies were individually wrapped in foil. I had to dig for that memory. And I like Chunky's too.

"Werther's" ?

Dave F.

here is something you guys [USA] can't get..

and I found out it's due to the toy being 'inside' the egg. (Something about US law that you cannot have a non-edible thing inside something edible: choking hazard.. even if it is obvious..)

And yes, I have quite the toy collection from them..

View attachment 501993

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/easter-candy-kinder-eggs-choking-hazard/
https://www.kinder.com/ca/en/kinder-surprise

As of fairly recently, there's a US version of them that comes in an egg-shaped package that peels apart in half. One of the halves has candy and the other has the toy.

Spinach contains a significant concentration of oxalic acid which provides some of the sour-bitter taste prized by some. It's quite toxic and found in much higher concentrations in rhubarb leaves (somewhat less in the stalks).

So if you thought Mom was trying to poison you by making you eat your spinach...you were right. 😁

Best -- Terry

We were lucky to find this at a specialty supplier before Christmas. Our favourite gum from childhood!

62498635-F514-4179-85C7-3ACE1AB5699C.jpeg

Still unopened now, because…

E67C3358-EDED-47AA-AA2A-8D784DA22060.jpeg

Genetically engineered chewing gum. I’d rather kiss a Kelpie than put that in my mouth.

Atomic red hots and
Brach's hard candy butterscotch
Both are still availale
Spinach contains a significant concentration of oxalic acid which provides some of the sour-bitter taste prized by some. It's quite toxic and found in much higher concentrations in rhubarb leaves (somewhat less in the stalks).

So if you thought Mom was trying to poison you by making you eat your spinach...you were right. 😁

Best -- Terry

Spinach is one of the few veggies that can be eaten raw or cooked and its looses little nutritional value. Some of the nutrients are destroyed in cooking and others are "unlocked". As for the Oxalic Acid a half cup of cooked spinach has about .75mg if the sources I read are correct, and another source said it would talk about 25mg or 7.3 pounds to kill a 145lb person....

Spinach is one of my favorite veggies...cooked or raw, been eating it since I was a little guy and still alive at 50. There are definitely greens out there with higher contents of oxalic acid that are edible and that people like eating Purslane being one (to me its a nuisance weed that gets an herbicide).

My favorite "discontinued" candy was the soft peppermint sticks my great grandfather used to give us every time we visited, they may still be around but nobody remembers the brand he had (the tin was King Leo which are still around, but what was in the tin was one he got from somewhere in TN/GA/SC).

here is something you guys [USA] can't get..

and I found out it's due to the toy being 'inside' the egg. (Something about US law that you cannot have a non-edible thing inside something edible: choking hazard.. even if it is obvious..)

And yes, I have quite the toy collection from them..

View attachment 501993

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/easter-candy-kinder-eggs-choking-hazard/
https://www.kinder.com/ca/en/kinder-surprise

The German ones were better. Americans are too litigation-centric.

No, but I like those too. They ruined those with a hazelnut.
Them's fightin' words. :angiefavorite:

My slightly-interesting Toffifay story (everyone has one, right?):
I was driving cross-country (CA->NJ) with my Dad in 1987. At one point I decided to grab a box of 15 Toffifays, because they are gosh darn tasty, and I like to nibble while sitting for hours in the car. Anyway, we reach Denver, and stop for lunch. Afterwards, we get back in the car (my Dad was driving at this point so I got into the passenger seat), and I grab for my trusty box of candy for dessert. What I had failed to consider was that (a) sun makes a car interior hot, and (b) despite being nestled in a hard carmel cup, the interior of a Toffifay is quite meltable chocolate. Well I opened the box, none too carefully, and let me tell you the contents were absolutely liquid. I'm talking thin-CA viscosity here. Within a split second I and a good part of the passenger footwell of my car were doused in molten chocolate.

At that moment I swear I could not decide if I was more annoyed at the incredible hard-to-clean mess I had just made, or that my precious box of Toffifays was ruined. It was probably the latter. Cleaning that up was not fun, though.

That drive was the greatest father/son bonding experience of our respective lives, I would guess.

2 dumb stories, neither about candy, but I would support the banning of toys in edibles. . .

1: Buddy from Louisiana, real Cajun, invited me over for some king cake. Mmmm. Cake. Looks interesting. Bite. Bite. Bite. Crack. What the. . . oh, there is a plastic figurine in the cake. If you get it, you win. (summarizing the rules, as I cracked a tooth and didn't care. . .).

2: In France, literally finished all meetings and was saying goodbyes to various colleagues. Would you like some cake? No, I have to get to the train. You sure, it is good luck... Fine, I grab a piece of cake and head out. Bite. Bite. Crack, crunch, crack. There was a CERAMIC tile in there the size of a Scrabble piece. . .If you find the piece, you have good luck, apparently. . .

So, in both circumstances, I don't know the meaning behind or even if I'm portraying the meaning correctly, because I cracked my teeth and needed dental work because of these darn cakes! Give me a Kinder Egg anytime. If I know the rules ahead of time, I'll give it a shot!

Sandy.

Back