What is Your Favorite BP D-Powered Bird?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always liked these from Estes: der Red Max, Goblin, Cherokee-D, Citation Patriot, Omega, Interceptor, Orbital Transport, Mars Lander, and several others.

I've always liked these from Centuri: Alien Scoutship Flying Saucer, Laser-X, Mach 10, Nomad, Space Shuttle, Taurus, Orion, Athena (Enerjet), 1/45 Little Joe II, the 1/100th scale Saturn 1B and Saturn V, and a few others I may have forgotten.

However, after seeing my son's Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B fly today, I'd have to say it's number one. That would include both the Estes and Semroc versions. :cool:

My BT-60 based Blue Bird Zero or the "Der Red Max" I am building and converting! ;) Might even go with an "E"! :cool:

Mike

A couple of weeks ago I launched my FSI Orbit clone on a Quest D5-6. I expect it re-enter the atmosphere any day now. :rolleyes: :D

That was a great rocket. I am looking forward to building another one.

The first photo is of my Orbit in 2007 when it was young, and the other is a group photo with some of his brothers (Orbit is 2nd from the left) taken Easter Sunday last month, a couple of weeks before its last launch.

MK

DSCF0147.JPG
DSCF1206.JPG

Single motor: Madcow Mozzie. Low and slow on a D12-3.

Cluster: LOC Viper IV.

Single: Tequilla Mach'N Bird (aka my level one project.)

Cluster, haven't clustered D12's yet, but it will prolly be an egglofter :D

I have two.

My BT-56 upscaled Astron Sprint.

And my Nike Hercules...OK that take 4 "D's".:rolleyes:

Sprint.JPG

finished big nikeherc.jpg

Single: Explorer Aquarius

Cluster: Pro-Series Patriot

Estes Phoenix. I'll have to admit, though, that it only flew a couple times on D12s, and then I bought the Aerotech 24mm RMS hardware. I loved the E11 and F12 Black Jack reloads -- nice slow, smoky flights. I nearly lost it on the D reload -- the long shock cord I put in it caused the chute to not completely open until it was about 20 feet off the ground.

That flying was back in the 90s, and all that's left is the nose cone. I'm tempted to start another. I've got a Phoenix sitting in one of my boxes of kits, and keep thinking it may head further up the build list.

I really enjoy flying my Art Applewhite 24mm Flying Saucer when I am limited to a smaller launch field. It flies great on D's.

My favorite is my Estes Silver Comet, for the reasons that it is almost the exact opposite of a Black Brant: slow and low. Plus, it has that cool retro sci-fi look. Mine recovers on a 24" red and white nylon parachute my son made for me, which makes an impressive sight. I think it was also my first D-powered rocket; I remember the "wow" factor we experienced on the maiden flight after having launched a bunch of Bs and Cs that morning.

Unfortunately, my SC experienced a lawn dart landing when I tried using a Nomex shield for the first time. There was that little voice telling me that the laundry seemed a tad tight in the tube, but I didn't heed it and paid the price. The damage was not nearly as bad as it could have been - just the upper end of the BT was a bit crumpled. I was able to straighten it out and reinforced it by soaking it with some CA, so it is flyable, but the original pristine paint job is history. I picked up another kit from a TRF member for a replacement.

Among my present birds, I'd have to say my Stormcaster has the best get up and go on a D12-5.

That may all change when I get my Goblin and Cherokee D clones painted and decal'd. I've also got a pair of CC Express kits sitting on the workbench but one of them will form the basis of a Cherokee DD (two stage).

Mine does. maybe his does too.:rolleyes:
But, but... the airframe was only BT-50 (it used the BNC-50X nose cone) and it had a boat tail! So how could the aft end taper down to 24mm to form the boat tail around the motor tube when it was 24mm in diameter to start with? :confused:

MK

70est049.jpg

Launched the Goblin many years ago when I was just a kid. Streamer should bring it straight back down near the pad, right? I found it a YEAR later 1100 feet from the pad in a tree. :blush:

Launched the Goblin many years ago when I was just a kid. Streamer should bring it straight back down near the pad, right? I found it a YEAR later 1100 feet from the pad in a tree. :blush:
Goblins were known for that... :D I have only flown mine on 18mm Bs and Cs with an adapter.

Another one that I have that I like is my Echo-1 clone, even though I have only launched it once so far. I used a D12-0/C11-7 combination, and it was my first rocket to ever make it all the way up into the cloud layer. OK, so there was a low ceiling that day, but still... I was impressed, at least. :eek:

MK

Astron Sprint

and

Stablazer X-20

Now I know the Starblazer X-20 was BT-20 on the back end.... Do you have an upscale you would like to share? :rolleyes:

I am curious because I am working on a whole family of Starblazers, from an X-13 to an X-38 (with plans far an X-54 and dreams that include an X-75 and X-98...:D)

Now I know the Starblazer X-20 was BT-20 on the back end.... Do you have an upscale you would like to share? :rolleyes:

I am curious because I am working on a whole family of Starblazers, from an X-13 to an X-38 (with plans far an X-54 and dreams that include an X-75 and X-98...:D)

I did some decals for something like that. Was that you?

My 25 year old Estes Renegade keeps going. :)

I flew it, again, last Saturday. C11s, D12s, E15s & E30s over the years.

Here's some pictures from back in February when it was flown on a D12-5.

Estes Renegade at SFD 02-21-10-01.jpg

Estes Renegade at SFD 02-21-10-02.jpg

Estes Renegade at SFD 02-21-10-03.jpg

Love the Renegade! I'm actually cloning that one as we speak. Sandman just sent me the decals this past weekend. I haven't decided whether to make that one with an E-mount or not.

I have to say my favorite D powered models are mostly BT-80 though... my old Estes V-2, the Executioner and a scratch built squatty BT-80 model called the SSLR.

That all may change though... I found some ultra-cheap BT-80 tubes from Hobbylinc and I'm just about done with an Estes Optima / Shadow clone! It'll be nice and slow on a D12 and may feel right at home with a RMS E!

The Astron Sprint had a 24mm mount?

MK

DOH! I missread the thread. :bangpan:

I do have a 24mm Sprint :)

I would like to correct my entry for my favorite "D" powered rocket.

MAXI-Icarus: My first "D"-powered rocket, and it almost hit me in the head when I forgot to tighten the launch rod. :eyepop:

But, but... the airframe was only BT-50 (it used the BNC-50X nose cone) and it had a boat tail! So how could the aft end taper down to 24mm to form the boat tail around the motor tube when it was 24mm in diameter to start with? :confused:

MK

70est049.jpg

Mine is an upscale with a BT-56 (1.34") body tube, 24mm motor tube, upscaled decals, BNC-56X nose cone and a "balsa" tail cone.

I have a lot of them Sprints.;) The second pic is a BT-80 version with a 29mm motor.

I'll make up some more of those kits soon.

sprints.JPG

Last edited:
I did some decals for something like that. Was that you?

Yep that was me... Still haven't finished any of them yet... :eek: I suffer from startalotfinishafew-itis

I've got my workbench cleared (almost) so nothing but Stablazers until Souther Thunder! :p

If we're going to start counting up-motored versions, I vote for a 24mm Interceptor or a 24mm FatBoy.

If you only count designs that are originally set up for D motors, then the Fliskits Acme Spitfire is a clear standout.

If we're going to start counting up-motored versions, I vote for a 24mm Interceptor or a 24mm FatBoy.

Why not? The question was about your favorite...no rules.;)

I forgot about the new Interceptor.

Did anybody mention the Arapahoe E?

Back