What is the worst part about the hobby?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The depth of the addiction. The circus wouldn't cover the costs of a new CF bird, so the kids were safe. My wife, however, has completely lost her mind. Still love her tho' and she's a great cook. Rockets beat her suggestion of underwater Serbo-Croation sword dancing. That's an expensive hobby to get into.

#1 painting problems (may push me to use acrylics and a small spray gun)
#2 expense of composite motors
#3 problems packing recovery systems and deployment problems
#4 incompatible weather

Money causing unnecessary problems due to stupid regulations.

1. Because Tripoli and the NAR collectively don't have enough money to get the ridiculous DOT regulations fixed, forcing people to drive across country with their motors that they can't ship themselves. The gun industry has tons of money to lobby for easier regulations. It is cheaper to ship ammo and only needs ORM-D markings. I would not want to be anywhere near a fire where there are boxes of ammo...
2. HazMat fees that are baseless. How is one J motor more dangerous to ship than 30 packs of C6-5's? Estes motors often become propulsive when the box is in a fire. Composites generally do not. This is based on facts and actual burning of packages in the desert for AeroTech in the early 90's for DOT tests of packaging.

Money causing unnecessary problems due to stupid regulations.

1. Because Tripoli and the NAR collectively don't have enough money to get the ridiculous DOT regulations fixed, forcing people to drive across country with their motors that they can't ship themselves. The gun industry has tons of money to lobby for easier regulations. It is cheaper to ship ammo and only needs ORM-D markings. I would not want to be anywhere near a fire where there are boxes of ammo...
2. HazMat fees that are baseless. How is one J motor more dangerous to ship than 30 packs of C6-5's? Estes motors often become propulsive when the box is in a fire. Composites generally do not. This is based on facts and actual burning of packages in the desert for AeroTech in the early 90's for DOT tests of packaging.

Brass-cased ammo outside a gun is pretty non-dangerous in a fire. Stuff will fly a few yards, but a fireman can stand next to it in his standard turnouts and anything that flies at him will bounce off harmlessly. It needs the chamber and barrel of the gun to contain the pressure and build velocity.

RSOs who assume everyone is an idiot and that they know more about your rocket by glancing at it for two seconds than you do.

I'd say that the worst part for me recently has been needing to climb the steep and rocky hills near TRAPHX for recovery.

Back