What is the origin of this word?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know this term goes way back, but can somebody tell me why we refer to a canceled launch as "scrubbed"?

Thanks

HVArcas

Reaction score
Instead of taking up the research of this task, i will punt :)

jkovac

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Found this on Reddit. There are other explanations offered as well, pretty murky.

The expression is in common use in the Royal Navy and has been for many generations. It derives from the days when all signals and orders were written on a slate. When the signals were cancelled or orders executed, the words on the slate were ‘scrubbed out’ or, equally correctly ‘washed out’.

rockladen

Reaction score
I believe it originates from the Royal Navy way back when procedures, orders, or plans were written on slate. If a procedure was changed, the slate was "scrubbed" clean.

HVArcas

Reaction score
Found this on Reddit. There are other explanations offered as well, pretty murky.

The expression is in common use in the Royal Navy and has been for many generations. It derives from the days when all signals and orders were written on a slate. When the signals were cancelled or orders executed, the words on the slate were ‘scrubbed out’ or, equally correctly ‘washed out’.
nice! i will remember that for sure

PXR5

Starship Hijacker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Use scrubbed in a sentence;

I told my wife I have scrubbed my chore of scrubbing the bathtub.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
It’s been around for a long, long time. It was used commonly in WWII to mean a mission has been canceled. And it’s used in horse racing to indicate a horse has been canceled from a race. I heard it had to do with naval signals, with orders written on a slate, and if an order was canceled, it was literally scrubbed off the slate. It makes sense to me that the “canceled” meaning is linked to the “cleaned” meaning, and the thing that has been canceled has been cleaned off the schedule.

Funkworks

Reaction score
Sorry for being that guy but since I couldn't help but going there, I might as well post it:

Etymology:
Borrowing from Middle Dutch schrubben, ‘to scrub’; from Germanic skrubbojanan, ‘to rub, scrub’.

KenECoyote

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not having a witty reply was bothering me, but I decided to brush it off.

Latest posts