What is the Number iof Flights (Lifetime) you have in your fleet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Reaction score
While we spend the next couple of months buffing and repairing - It would be interesting to create a list of average flights per HPR in its lifetime?

To Start out:

My Fleet: (All L1)

MadCow 2.6 inch FG Black Brant Built 2016 Flights 7 condition:flyable Major events: 1 engine blow-by, 1 slight kevlar zipper
Mad Cow 4 Inch AGM Built 2016 Flights 5, condition flyable Major events 1 engine blow by with major zipper, repaired upper tube
Mad Cow 2.6 inch FG Patriot Built 2016 Flights 3, condition flyable, Major events, first fleet without NC ejection, landed at 250mph, dug out, buffed, good as new
Mad Cow 4 Inch Little John FG, Built 2016, Flights 3, condition flyable (future L2 rocket), Major Events none

So that's my fleet - 4 rockets built in 2016 all still flyabe for next season

What are your fleet stats?

I am curious on what the realistic flight lifetime is for a HPR rocket.

Man. I am a horrible example. Most of my rockets are one and done with some exception. Very expensive way to experience this hobby..... So, to answer your question, the lifetime of my fleet per rocket is great! :)

It all depends on your personal flight success rate and the type of rockets in your fleet. In my experience, flights are rarely retired do to aging to the point where they are worn enough not to be flight worthy. Typically you lose all or part of a rocket because of a flight incident that results in damage. Back when I first started, my builds and launch procedures were sketchy in several key areas that resulted in a much lower success rate than I would have liked. My fleet averaged 3 flights back then. Today, my goal is a lifespan of 10 flights a non-high performance airframe and 5 flights for a high performance airframe. In order to do that, I had to take steps to reduce flight incidents like building to best practice to reduce risk of component/system failure and using checklists/procedures to eliminate risk of a mistake during prep and launch.

You fleet plays a large part in the number of flights per rocket. A rocket designed to push performance limits induces risk that will likely increase the chance of an incident happening before the lifespan goal is met. Complexity like staging and clusters induces extra risk too. So does the size and type of rocket (Model rockets are a lot easier to repair than a Level 3 bird).

Spence, with your fleet a lifespan goal of 15+ flights is doable. Focus on eliminating your "Major Events" through design changes, build changes, and procedure changes and you should get there.

Nate-

Clearly there is a learning curve effect. This was my first year at HPR - or any Rocketry for nearly 45 years! I'm at around a 80% flight success rate for this past season. Everything survived my rookie mistakes, except some ego. There are dozen's of ways something can go wrong and only one good way a flight can end. I hope to be over 90% for 2017 - as I am not likely to say "Ah hell, what could that extra O ring be for?" again! So rocket lifetime gets ended by a major catostrophic event or losing the rocket - or just having it get too banged up and weakened by multiple flights. or just getting bored with one rocket when you want something new
Spence

Thanks to a severe drought and burn ban in the southeast, my HPR success record is 100% :cool:
None of the nearby clubs have been launching Hi-power or the last 3 months. I got my L1 just in time.

Neat thread! I'll go to the other end of the spectrum.

-I retired my L1/L2 rocket (PML 1/4 Patriot) after 15 years and 22 flights. It's in great shape and could probably go another 20+ flights without issue.
-I retired my L3 rocket (Pre-Performance Rocketry Curtis Turner Competitor 4) after 10 years and 13 flights. It's also in good, flyable shape. Both were retired for sentimental reasons....awww!:wink:

My most flown high power rocket is the Minie Magg with 27 flights; most flown low power rocket has 41 flights. I have several high power birds with 10+ flights, others only get 1 or 3 flights before I pass them on/sell them.

An even 1350 recorded flights to date on 380 rockets...so my personal average # of flights per rocket (low-mid-high power Micromaxx to O) is 3.5-ish. Unlike friend Mark, I take crazy records.

-Eric-

I have 1168 documented flights from three rocketry sessions (1968-69, 1979-1980, 2005- now)

Neat thread! I'll go to the other end of the spectrum.

-I retired my L1/L2 rocket (PML 1/4 Patriot) after 15 years and 22 flights. It's in great shape and could probably go another 20+ flights without issue.
-I retired my L3 rocket (Pre-Performance Rocketry Curtis Turner Competitor 4) after 10 years and 13 flights. It's also in good, flyable shape. Both were retired for sentimental reasons....awww!:wink:

My most flown high power rocket is the Minie Magg with 27 flights; most flown low power rocket has 41 flights. I have several high power birds with 10+ flights, others only get 1 or 3 flights before I pass them on/sell them.

An even 1350 recorded flights to date on 380 rockets...so my personal average # of flights per rocket (low-mid-high power Micromaxx to O) is 3.5-ish. Unlike friend Mark, I take crazy records.

-Eric-

I have 1168 documented flights from three rocketry sessions (1968-69, 1979-1980, 2005- now)

Eric and Mike, I am curious as to the method you use to track your flights and what data you record?

I have a 3in rocket built in 2003, that last count had 108 flights on it. By far the most flights on a single rocket I own.

I actually have 3 log books, [2 are full-working on the 3rd] over the years 1167 high power flights.
Don't keep track of G motors and below.

43 rockets [all fiberglass] from 29mm to 8in diameter.
Funny though, seems like the same 5-6 rockets get flown all the time and the rest occasionally.

My L-3 6in diameter [Tiger Terror] has 17 M flights, of which 11 were the famous M-2200 Skidmark, 5-L motors and 3 N- motors for a total of 19 flights. It's been sitting idle for 4-5years.
Getting older now & large rockets are impossible for me to carry out of a field, so I fly most 3in rockets and down, with an occasional 4in.

Interesting stats:

Beta test Missleworks RRC3 37 flights in 23 months.
Beta test '''''' '''''' GPS 29 flights in 16 months

Beta test Fly-a-way guides 42 flights in 24 months

108 flights...that's just Crazy, Jim!:wink:

Eric and Mike, I am curious as to the method you use to track your flights and what data you record?

Hi Nate,

2nd Attempt at posting this. Attachments were goofy first time around. I use two Excel documents.

The first is a Flight Log. Simply tracks what rocket flew when, where, on what motor, etc.

Flight Log.png

Second is a Fleet Index. Keeps track of my fleet o' rockets via photo, diameter, motor mount, flights to date, other info.

Fleet Index.png

-Eric-

It seems the long lived rockets or FG - or are their other materials that last that long ....20+ flights?

It seems the long lived rockets or FG - or are their other materials that last that long ....20+ flights?

I don't know that I'm a good representation of a "normal" flyer, but here's a quick breakdown of my most flown high power birds.

27 flights: Loc Minie Magg: cardboard
22 flights: PML 1/4 Patriot: phenolic
21 flights: Loc Fantom: cardboard
14 flights: PML Endeavor: phenolic
13 flights: scratch Hot Topic: flexible phenolic
13 flights: 4" Competitor: fiberglass
11 flights: 5" Gizmo: fiberglass
10 flights: Loc Magnum: cardboard
10 flights: Phobos clone: phenolic & cardboard mix.

My current preference for everyday sport flying is cardboard...I prefer the lightweight and will reinforce strategically where I think there is a need. For high performance flights, I prefer fiberglass and/or carbon fiber. I truly enjoy a wide variety of flight vehicles!

-Eric-

Got one with over 100 flights and two others not far behind.

I use simple flight marks.:dark:

10458958_765537336841143_2326906678207432202_o.jpg

Back