What is the most motors ever flown in a cluster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switch

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to search but didn't find anything. I'm aware of PieroAcme's Soyuz 20-cluster. Who has done more than a 20 cluster rocket and how did they do it? I'm working on a 27 cluster SpaceX Falcon Heavy & would like to learn what I can from other mega cluster builds. Right now, I'm just going to try to scale our my 9 cluster Falcon 9.

IMG_1485.JPG

I remember seeing someone who did 100 just to say he did, but that Balls launch has it covered. Pretty fun project. A flash pan is the only way to go with that many motors to have any chance to get them all to go.

I remember seeing someone who did 100 just to say he did, but that Balls launch has it covered. Pretty fun project. A flash pan is the only way to go with that many motors to have any chance to get them all to go.
Flash pan???

Larry Drake did a 312 motor cluster a LDRS 22. Search for it. Google works.
Here is what pops up when I search google “312 mortor cluster LDRS 22”

Attachments

• AB26DC69-5758-4315-93A0-15BB35126A66.png
    AB26DC69-5758-4315-93A0-15BB35126A66.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 45
My local club had a member (President at one point) that was a big BP cluster guy. It was way before my time and you know how stories change over various re-tellings, but he was a 'flash in the pan' guy and lit a lot of motors. I don't think anything like 312 as mentioned above, but the rockets were supposedly 6-8" diameter and supposedly had a bunch of motors (100+).

I did meet him one time and I know other club members knew him well and could give more accurate information for sure, but it sounds like in the 80's/90's, there was some very interesting stuff happening with big clusters and as time moved forward, it might have become significantly less desirable due to how things were being done vs. safety. Again, never saw any of it, but might have liked to see it at least once. . .

My personal biggest was a 6->3->3 24mm 3-stage rocket a friend of mine and I built called the 3 Stooges, bottom stage ignition using Quest Q2G2 igniters at the time, but would easily fly it again with homemade or augmented Estes igniters if we wanted to, as we're low on Q2G2's. It was not cheap to fly. I cant imagine the mega clusters. . .

Sandy.

Back