What is the best 2 part epoxy for nosecone weight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridnharley

Reaction score
I am going to use lead shot in my nosecone. I plan on putting a couple of steel rods through the nosecone for the epoxy to grab on to but what is the best 2 part epoxy for this task?

Thanks everyone.

Just about any epoxy works for this use.

Incidentally, instead of steel rods, I use a piece of all-thread from the tip of the nose cone, through the epoxy and weight, then out the aft wall of the nose cone, to attach an eye-bolt for the shock cord. This will translate the load to the epoxied weight and hold things together better. Sanding the inside of the nose cone give enough adhesion to hold onto the low mass nosecone.

anything with a reasonably low viscosity so you can easily pour it?

Any epoxy with a 30 minute + cure works. I use aluminum or brass rods instead of steel to make grinding them to the nose cone shape easier.

I use bamboo skewers. Same concept.

Pretty much any epoxy that can be mixed and poured or shoveled into the nosecone will work. This is a great use for a long cure BSI epoxy...I prefer 30min cure.

In the days of yore, we would place the tip of the nosecone in a cup/pail of water to absorb the heat.

I use chop sticks! (just easier to sand & finish)

I'll also tap down the BB & epoxy mix to ensure they are all nicely seated & packed nicely

And I add my BBs to the epoxy mixing cup, so they all get lovingly coated. Remember to weigh your epoxy! The epoxy is / should be calculated into the total weight needed..

I've heard some say they need 12oz of nose weight. They weigh out 12oz of BBs. They then mix up a generous batch of epoxy. They then add the epoxy & BBs to the NC.
Total nose weight gain: about 18oz..

Back