What is that?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Sitting on the airplane (a 737 I believe).
Noticed something odd/weird in my window.
In the first pic, look down at the bottom/center of the window.......hmmm, what the heck is that?
See close up of whatever-it-is in the second pic.
thumbnail_IMG_0229.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0230.jpg

What is it????
Note, that I looked around at other windows, as well as close up in the three other windows I sat next to during my (round-trip) flight......didn't see this in any others.

Will give a bit more detail/clues if no one has an answer.

s6

Bleed hole.
Aircraft windows actually have three panels: an outer pane to deal with the air pressure difference; a middle pane with the bleed hole, the tiny hole you see, which helps balance the air pressure; and a thin inner pane, also called a scratch pane, which helps protect the middle and outer pane from damage from airplane cabin activities. The bleed hole helps to balance the air pressure between the outer and middle panes.

It also serves as a source of worry for people not used to flying, or understanding how planes work.
Along that line, sat next to a woman terrified of flying. Every time the flaps or landing gear extended or retracted she white knuckled the seat arms. (Once my arm!).
I explained to her what all the noises were, and that no need to worry. Worry only when you DIDN’T hear the noises!
( Not implying this is you @stealth6, I have a feeling you know full well what it is and its function! )

Last edited:
I figured it was a bleed / pressure-equalization hole.
But why only that window, and none (that I saw) of the other windows?

s6

Just a pressure equalization hole between the panes? With an associated ring on the opposing pane?
That looks to me like a spot of condensation. Perhaps the plane has been on the ground only a short time and the structure is still pretty cold from cruising up in the -65 degree air, and the air moving through the bleed hole is chilling a spot on the outer pane. That would be my first guess.

And I agree with @jqavins, the OP should see those bleed holes at every window. But they not that prominent.

Yeah, usually the holes I've seen are much smaller and not threaded (as this one appears to be).

I was once asked to apply my unique set of skills to ensuring that aircraft cabin features accessible to passengers were "tamper and sabotage proof". My management objected strenuously. I can see their reasoning, but still, that would have been fun.

Reminds me of a time when we were flying to vacation on a little communist caribbean island (known for rum & cigars)..

"We're about to make our final decent into Santa Clara ... cabin crew, prepare for.." (usual pilot message) The airfield was one strip, a kilometer of blacktop in a field of brush. We were high up, and on final approach. I could see the airfield off the tip of the wing.

And then we really started the decent.. (that instant light feeling in your seat / stomach) and he push the stick hard over..

The coolest thing was, he (the pilot) went thru 180° and dropped about 8K'. All the while the runway stayed off the tip of the wing all the way down. It just rotated about that one spot. Got bigger mind you, but just pivoted until I could no longer see it, then.. touch down!

And all the while the lady behind me: "Oh mon dieu!!* Oh mon Dieu!! Oh mon dieu!! ..." in a rapid & breathless panicky stream..

Was one of the coolest things I've ever seen! (the landing, not the lady)

* literally "Oh my God!!" or some semblance of: "Oh all mighty, please save us"

I was flying into the Bahamas in '77. As we made our approach all I could see was a little ground and a lot of ponds and streams. No airfield, no runway. Then we were on the runway. That was maybe the most turbulent flight I have been on. Lunch was canceled. I had my try table down with a drink on it. We hit a bad spot and suddenly my drink was floating at eye level. I snatched it out of the air and didn't spill a drop.

Back