What is it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a compressed air tank from a V1.

The wire-bound ball, that is. There's also some sort of wheel in the photo. ;)

Well, I know it sounds crazy . It looks like a main gear from a JU-88 maybe 188. The geometry is off but maybe it's a crash artifact and has been twisted off center.

I dont think so. The location of the pivot trunnions is wrong for the Junkers.

Yea , that's what I was thinking too! Just wondering if the whole assembly got twisted somehow. It's big whatever it is. The tire is about the size of the pallet. The picture is deceiving.

Well, I know it sounds crazy . It looks like a main gear from a JU-88 maybe 188. The geometry is off but maybe it's a crash artifact and has been twisted off center.

Ju-188 is correct. The "Junk"ers 188 had a distinctive "bubble" canopy. The gear in the pictures was recovered from a beach in Belgium in 1974. Gear is on display at the Royal Army and Military History Museum in Brussels.

junkers-188.jpg

I have no idea! I know what it does but have no idea what it fits! Pretty big too. That's about a 4 inch base.

Angle of attack gauge... Goes on the nose of, well, just about anything and measures the difference in angle between the relative wind and the vehicle body.

Lots of the White Sands V-2s had those on the tip.

Very cool!

Barometric probe from a Nike Hercules! Part of the nuclear warhead arming system. Made sure the missile was actually flying before the warhead armed itself!

I knew I had seen one of those somewhere before! When you said no to the AOA probe I went searching through my stuff. I'm a huge Nike fan and have a bunch of detail pics...

Back