What is it? (old house pic)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo52

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, one for the hive mind...actually two. Only one is from the old house but the other was found in a drawer. Any idea what they are or what they are for? The switch is near the front door on the wall. It doesn't appear to control anything we can find (unless the neighbors garage light is going on and off). The round item rotates and it appears there might have been a light in the middle socket at one time (or not, can't tell).

The "key" was in a drawer in the garage. The house was built in the `50s.

IMG_0212[1].JPGIMG_0217[1].JPGIMG_0210[1].JPGIMG_0211[2].JPG

Doing some looking the switch plate could be a switchable illuminated dimmer circuit for a over head light or a outlet for a lamp. Could be bypassed or not operational if nothings turning on or off that you can find.

Screenshot_20221011-213440_Google.jpg

The key might be for some safty tamper proof cam lock for something: cabinet, access panel, RV, personal watercraft.

Screenshot_20221011-221817_Chrome.jpg

Luxtrol for the win. That must be what it is. Now it's time time find what it dims. Probably not though because the house is going to be rewired and will be brought up to code. There are no grounds in the house at this point. All of the sockets are in the 8 in baseboard. It's not Knob and tube but it's old! Thanks for the inputs.

Luxtrol for the win. That must be what it is. Now it's time time find what it dims. Probably not though because the house is going to be rewired and will be brought up to code. There are no grounds in the house at this point. All of the sockets are in the 8 in baseboard. It's not Knob and tube but it's old! Thanks for the inputs.
If the price in the picture on Ebay is even remotely close to real, I'd say you pull that part and put a blanking plate on ASAP and see if there are other interesting things that restoration people would want! Cool find GalantVR41062!!!

Chances are that was an ebay sucker posting, but it might be worth doing a little research. I remember my Grandparents house (late 1800's, I believe) had weird door knobs. I bet those door knobs were worth a ton of money. Part of the remodel my uncle did was apparently funded certain old items removed. Not sure how real that story is/was or how it applies today, though.

Sandy.

Back