What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found Heaven on Earth (or at least in my freezer)

jj1.jpg
jj2.jpg
For a limited time only, and only sold in pints.

If you don't already know about this, try Blue Bell Coffee ice cream with hot fudge sauce. Not recommended for diabetics or people with low self control (this is why JJ is only sold in pints...).

Today I got out of the rut. Went to the gun store to do my paperwork. Picking it up tomorrow. Then to Walmart. I had three things on the list. As soon as I walked in I remembered I need bird seed. 40lbs of it. It will last about 2 weeks. Got the cottage cheese, the marshmallows and a ham. That was all. Got cat food and 38lbs of litter. Did you know that cat litter goes for almost a dollar a pound. 38lbs would fill one cat box. We have two. Then to get out of the store you have to go through the bakery area. Got a dozen donuts and cookies. Came home, put the groceries away and then played with the cats. Watched more Ukraine and golf videos.
I almost forgot. More news on the what ever that landed it the peoples back yard in Vegas. The property looks like a couple of acres. The owner of the house has a security camera pointing into the back yard. While the craft and beings were on the ground the video is blank. The witnesses reported that when they were looking at the craft and beings it was like looking through a light fog. One guy said when he made eye contact with one of the beings his body froze. The news station has overhead video and you can clearly see a round indentation in the ground. Wish they would land across the street.

Last edited:
I've been fighting computer problems. The computer(s) have won most of the battles (so far).

I've got an old P2 system I built around 2000. It runs XP. It was OK for the stuff I wanted to run on it back then. I also downloaded and archived a bunch of data from all over the web. The computer has reached the end of its functioning life. I need to get all that data off somehow. I used to use Samba (SMB - Server Message Block) to network my machines. the version of SMB that runs on XP has been deprecated and won't connect with my current machines (would have made things a LOT easier!). I bought an IDE-to-USB adapter, but it won't power the drives. So it's going back to Amazon. In its place, I ordered a hard drive enclosure with built in USB interface. It gets here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I tried firing up my old office computer I bought at a Black Friday sale in 2009. I got the Click of Death from the hard drive. Fortunately, I've got a small drive from a defective laptop I was given. Also fortunately, I've got the original systen disks that came with the computer. I replaced the drive (it was made back when this was easy to do). I went through the entire re-installation process. But now it won't boot to the hard drive. Nuts! I'm not going to mess with it any more right now. I might end up putting Linux on it.

While I was typing this post, on my current (3-year old) laptop, it froze. Nothing could get it going. It was so frozen, not even the three-finger-tap-dance could reset it. No reset button. I could pull the power plug and let it die. Or, I could do something stupid. I went with Option 2. I cracked the case (Geeze - those screws are *minuscule*) and pulled the battery. Put the case back on, and pressed the power button. Nothing. I started to sweat. Then a message popped up - CMOS Checksum error. I clicked the Any key, and after a second, it booted. I'm going to start backing up EVERYTHING on the laptop! I can do a lot of the day-to-day stuff from my tablet, but I don't want to lose any data if the laptop dies.

And last, but Lordy not least, with all this digging through old computers, I stirred up a lot of old dust. I've been on the edge of a sinus migraine for the past two days. Now it's a stress AND sinus migraine. I sure picked a bad time to give up drinking and drugs! (that's a joke - I seldom drink, and don't indulge in illegal substances)
You can run linux mint from a usb drive and access all your files.

You can run linux mint from a usb drive and access all your files.
I don't think the USB port(s) work on that machine. It's already got linux on it, on one of the partitions.

I think I've got everything useful copied over. I've found some *amazing* stuff I'd forgotten about. I'll have to see what I can post.

Met with the breathing machine rep to discuss what's going on with my lungs so he is going to submit a report to my pulmonologist as he thinks that I need to go in and have them put me under, intubate me, and run a scope down in me to see what they can find :eek:

Then someone comes along and makes me realize that while a vast majority of the humans on this planet are intolerant hate filled zealots, there more than a few that are true caring, honest, tolerant, empathetic, and yes, even loving people. People like my Kim, who simply refused to hate. Ya know what? We have some of those right here on TRF! They know who they are. A package arrived. The message was understood! The hat will be my Rocketry Launch Hat from here on out.
I believe that the hate filled zealots are a minority. It's just that the hate filled zealots are LOUD.

I believe that the hate filled zealots are a minority. It's just that the hate filled zealots are LOUD.
I concur, the minority screams the loudest and not necessarily for the right reasons (no politics or morals implied here, so don't take it as such please).

Found Heaven on Earth (or at least in my freezer)

View attachment 585156
View attachment 585157
For a limited time only, and only sold in pints.

If you don't already know about this, try Blue Bell Coffee ice cream with hot fudge sauce. Not recommended for diabetics or people with low self control (this is why JJ is only sold in pints...).
Growing up in Houston, Blue Bell was the go-to ice cream. Even better when you drive to Brenham and pick it up straight from the dairy...

I met my cigar buddies down at the gazebo, but only engaged in conversation as my lungs are too messed up to be around any smoke, so it may be a long time before i can do any cigar or pipe smoking, if I ever get to do it again. :(

Day 51

It occured to me I have less and less new to write about.
  • Emotional Pain - check
  • Loneliness - check
  • Sadness - check
  • Fear of losing job, house, Penny, etc - check
  • Walk to beach - check
  • Did some work - check
  • Gathered up some donations for tomorrow - check
  • Got more threatening debt collection letters - check
  • Shredded some 6 year old papers - check
  • Tossed some 3 year old M&Ms out - check
  • Printed a photo of me and Kim out at Pancho's in Manhattan Beach 9 years ago, put it in a frame and hung it. - check
  • Wondered where I'll be in a year... oh yeah... that was the fear thing - check
  • Painted parts of an @AeroTech Astrobee-D - oops - wrong thread
I miss you sweetie.

Went fishing this morning. For my 13mm gear wrench. Under the dock.

Was installing some eye bolts for new boat mooring. Fumbled the wrench. Usually I'm not lazy and tie a string to them when I'm on the dock which is then tied to me.

Keep old hard drive magnets. Very useful for picking up wrenches at the bottom of the lake.

Day 52...
Ah this one is simple.
Served court document at door. I am being sued for CC non-payment. Lovely. I don't have enough to worry about... any lawyers out there?

Added to my recovery tools. Family gave me a Ryobi pole saw for my 64th trip around the sun. Takes the same batteries as the pruning saw I got a few weeks ago and extends to 2.9 metres (9.5'). Should be quite the handy beast.

View attachment 585601
I once used a Ryobi 40 v. mower battery to launch two 7 motor cluster rockets successfully.
The thing I despise about pole and chain saws is the time I spend keeping the teeth grinded sharp. What a PITA.

Back