What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VBR 70.3. Now everything hurts.
Given CI(VII)'s response, I know that the 70.3 means its an athletic thing, but not sure what the VBR part means. Sure, I could google it, but it sounds like something that is really hard to do, so sharing more detail will let more of us understand what you've done and give you proper congratulations for it!

(side note: for years, when I saw 18.1 or 36.3 or whatever the real numbers were on people's cars, I thought it was a religious thing indicating a bible verse. I looked a few times to try to figure out which verse they were referencing, but never could figure out which book. Obviously if you see a 3:16 on a car and were brought up in any Christian church, you knew what that was indicating. I just never could figure out what the 18.1 etc. meant until I was middle age and learned about its relation to marathons. Obviously, I'm not a runner. . . )

Given CI(VII)'s response, I know that the 70.3 means its an athletic thing, but not sure what the VBR part means. Sure, I could google it, but it sounds like something that is really hard to do, so sharing more detail will let more of us understand what you've done and give you proper congratulations for it!

(side note: for years, when I saw 18.1 or 36.3 or whatever the real numbers were on people's cars, I thought it was a religious thing indicating a bible verse. I looked a few times to try to figure out which verse they were referencing, but never could figure out which book. Obviously if you see a 3:16 on a car and were brought up in any Christian church, you knew what that was indicating. I just never could figure out what the 18.1 etc. meant until I was middle age and learned about its relation to marathons. Obviously, I'm not a runner. . . )
It's a half ironman distance triathlon. VBR is Virginia's Blue Ridge. My second (did the same one last year). Swim went okay, then I was slow today on the bike and just tried to hold things together on the run. 6:42 or something like that. Faster than last year but still leaves huge room for progress.

It's a half ironman distance triathlon. VBR is Virginia's Blue Ridge. My second (did the same one last year). Swim went okay, then I was slow today on the bike and just tried to hold things together on the run. 6:42 or something like that. Faster than last year but still leaves huge room for progress.
Thanks for the information and great work!

When I was younger, my brother would ride his 10-speed with a friend and me, being the younger brother would try to emulate. I eventually got to doing around 12 miles a day after school and timing myself. I have no clue what my times were, but i had a route I rode and tried to improve as time went on.

In highschool, we had to take PE and one semester was running and I found out I actually liked track running late at night. Not competitively, but I would ride my motorcycle to the school track around 10pm and run 10-20 laps at a medium pace and think. It was healthy, I think. Regretfully, I screwed up a knee in college and now get a ton of swelling every time i try to start running again.

We put in a swimming pool a couple of years ago and I found out that swimming really tells you a bunch about your health. I was never a super strong swimmer, but I could do ok. Today, if I did one lap trying to swim hard, I'd need a paramedic on call just in case.

Very cool that you did the event for the second time and I hope you enjoyed the process. My opinion at my age and state of fitness is that I'd be more sore than you just watching. . . :)

It is funny, to me how much the swimming part is different than running or biking recreationally. If you've got bad knees, you walk not run. If you're getting worn down on a bike, you downshift and slow down. When swimming, if you are struggling, you die.

Again, great job and I hope to use your success as well as Chris's posts to motivate me to become slightly more healthy with exercise, as I should be better than I am at my age.

You *absolutely* can sell old caps! Old orange drop caps are highly sought after, as are several other styles, for electric guitars and effects boxes. There's probably no noticeable difference in sound, but the old stuff has "magic".
Everyone knows the magic is in the smoke and you must keep the smoke inside. Mind you Rock bands depend a lot on smoke machines. So they might need a large supply of dodgy capacitors... :)

It is funny, to me how much the swimming part is different than running or biking recreationally. If you've got bad knees, you walk not run. If you're getting worn down on a bike, you downshift and slow down. When swimming, if you are struggling, you die.

Just the sobering thought I needed with my morning coffee, some of which is now on the computer screen.

Everyone knows the magic is in the smoke and you must keep the smoke inside. Mind you Rock bands depend a lot on smoke machines. So they might need a large supply of dodgy capacitors... :)
When my friend and I booked shows, we had a tube from a band's bass amp catch on fire filling the room with smoke. Incidently, it was a community center who's primary use was a training room and burn tower for the fire department.

Ah, of course!

BTW, ~35% of those old caps sold before midnight. Up next, old NOS carbon resistors. Really.

The AE-1 is a nice piece of kit. I still have a lot of Olympus OM System gear, used every five years or so, but I cleared out most of my Polaroid stuff a few years ago. Probably only have five or six folders, three Spectras I can remember and a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and a few tubs of darkroom gear.

My oldest Polaroid camera. Nice complete J66 outfit in original leather case with manuals and film.

View attachment 584252View attachment 584253

Nice! My oldest Polaroids aren't that far back. I wish we could get film.

IMG_9563.JPG

But I do have an older Kodak:

IMG_9552.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

Shutter speed on the bottom of the lens:

IMG_9554.JPG

Focus:

IMG_9556.JPG

I have a Konica TC or TX-X, or actually one of each I think, and about four lenses I've been of listing. PM me if you're interested in details.

No more camera collecting for me. I have six tubs of stuff to sort through for sale. The TC is a nice camera - grab yourself a roll of film and have a play. Nothing like waiting a week to look at your photos!

Well done. That is a real tough bike course by triathlon standards.

Day 46 I think...
  • Twice since being forced to switch to CVS Caremark by Aetna (Care? Really?) they have denied a prescription. So I left a message for my Doctor(s) that hopeful they'll get to tomorrow. I am out of ferrous sulfate (for slight low red cell count) and my last glucose sensor expires in two days (I can stick myself for a while).
  • Gathered up 60 more womens tops to donate.
  • Gathered up a basket full of never used gift wrap to donate. She never could resist the after Xmas sales.
  • Trying to inventory what I have in spices vs what I need for all these instapot recipes I have gathered. Yet for all my good intentions, I have yet to prepare anything in it. :
  • Trying to figure out the correct way to defrost some meat for my first recipe with say ground beef. I am not gonna buy what I have a ton of in the freezer.
  • Changed out the litter box (mundane but it helps to write it out here)
  • Took out the trash and recycling (seen note in item 5)
Other than that, got pretty emotional while gathering stuff up but that is de rigueur for my current life.

We went to here a local Volunteer symphony orchestra whic was pretty small compared to a normal orchestra, but it was good to get out, The main thing with amateurs and never ceases to amaze me is how their intonation can be so bad. when you think these are fairly good high school level players so to speak, and for some reason they can't tell when they're playing out of tune......mind-boggling.
We then stopped by the grocery store something that I very rarely do and when we got done my wife said it's the last time I get to go with her, as by taken me along, added $50 more to the bill than normal.

We went to here a local Volunteer symphony orchestra whic was pretty small compared to a normal orchestra, but it was good to get out, The main thing with amateurs and never ceases to amaze me is how their intonation can be so bad. when you think these are fairly good high school level players so to speak, and for some reason they can't tell when they're playing out of tune......mind-boggling.
We then stopped by the grocery store something that I very rarely do and when we got done my wife said it's the last time I get to go with her, as by taken me along, added $50 more to the bill than normal.
Ha ha. Sounds like a conversation with my wife. :)

Ok those are funny. I get it now. :)
I had a Mini. The jack fell against the fuel sender gauge in the boot. The Mini had no fuse in the positive supply to the fuel sender. I saw the smoke escape from the wiring harness working it's way from the back to the front of the car as I was driving it and just switched the ignition off before the fire part. Pretty scary for a student driver.
Apologies for not placing this in the "What I did 45 years ago" section. :)

Last edited:
  • Trying to figure out the correct way to defrost some meat for my first recipe with say ground beef. I am not gonna buy what I have a ton of in the freezer. stuff up but that is de rigueur for my current life.
It depends a bit on your schedule. If you've planned 24 hours or so ahead, move the meat to the fridge. If you have less time, you can leave ground beef out on the counter for a few hours, but only a few, and don't fail to cook it thereafter. You may have seen ads for "magic" thawing plates that you place frozen items on that accelerate thawing. Believe It or not, they work. But of course, there's no magic. They're just cast iron slabs, so if you have a big cast iron pan it will work just as well.

Last edited:
I pruned a Chaste Tree, Made a pile of branches 4' high, 4' wide and 15' long. Loosely stacked. Only tree I've seen have a quarter of it's branches die each year. Again, watched golf and Ukraine videos,

Back