What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The appraiser also showed up today saying that the owner was paying for it. We still won't know until the last moment if they are going to sell it and leave us without a place to live. Housing costs are very expensive in our area, along with typical landlords who want the absolute maximum top dollar.:(

Got my second set of Ukrainian stamps in the mail today. A bonus - there were actual postage stamps on the envelope (not just a digital printed thing like you get with USPS)

stamps2.jpg

stamps1.jpg

Off to Hobby Lobby in the morning for a picture frame and some yellow and blue felt.

I just had a 1 hour long talk with my son after he got upset with my wife and hung up on her 3 weeks ago, and we had not talked since. I now know that his spouse is the source of 90% of his problems as she is not quite all there, and has brainwashed him a long the way. But we all know how many times that has happened before in life. Too darned much drama.:barf:
Ask him this, Jeff says, "If you got a call at 2pm tomorrow saying I had passed away, would you have ANY regrets for not talking to me before that?" If his answer is no, he's inhuman. Otherwise tell him, NOTHING is worth losing touch over. Because the day WILL come. For you, for him? For whats her name. It will. And you do NOT want any more regrets than you will naturally feel. Trust me on this.

Day 44.

I took 60+ womens tops to be donated.

I worked through about a 6 inch (15cm) pile of credit bills in my love's name and sorted them into like piles. I'll have to write each and provide a copy of her death certificate... oh God... here I go... 😢

That's about it. Just have room after room of stuff to ply through can donate that which needs to go and someone can use.

Pretty short.

I miss you sweetheart. So f' much. One foot in front of the other...

By the way, you are keeping records of all these donations, right? You're looking at a very sizable tax deduction.
Yes. And taking images. I understand above 5,000 the IRS will start asking why I did not get an independent appraisal. Well f them. I'll get to 5 grand for sure. I have already donate 400+ tops. Yes 400+. At a lousy $5 a piece we are at $2000.
And I have donated much more in housewares.
And have much more to donate. Unfortunately :(

I was like a madman building different LPR and MPR's until this past Saturday (5/27) We have had an increasing list of repairs/updates to do on our Motorhome this spring and I was fortunate to find a guy that was able to get me in for work before we head to Eldora Speedway on Tuesday for the Eldora Dream. I left home (Indiana) on Saturday and arrived here near Kansas City on Sunday. Been here ever since and out of a list of 16 original issues/upgrades, we are down to only three left to complete. Waiting on the last few items to be delivered by Amazon, and my hope is to pull out of here on Sunday and get to Eldora either Tuesday or Wednesday. A little background.... the wife and I will be selling our house in July (have a list of seven people interested) and going full time in the Motorhome as soon as the house closes. These repairs/upgrades had to be done before then. Fortunate for us we purchased a two acre lot in the country that already had electric, water, and septic on it to use as a "home base" when we go full time. Hope to be back home and back to building and launching rockets in a couple of weeks.

Doing a bit of baking this evening. I've got an aunt that means the world to me. She's having a lot of trouble with her new dentures. So I'm baking some shortbreads for her; banana and blueberry. I've got to try to get up in the morning in time to get them in the mail

I've been trying to apply for Social Security and Medicare. I went through the first part of the process on-line. Today I got the other top secret code in the mail. I got on their web site, finally got all signed in and proved that I'm me. Started the process to actually sign up, when I got a notice that the system is shutting down in four minutes. *sigh*. Will try again Sat. or Mon.

I had a doctors appointment in Vegas today. Got the results of the MRI of my knee. Maybe a tear starting, again. Maybe not. Doc said in a month if it's not better, scope again. I drove an hour and 15 minutes there. Was at the doctors office for 45 minutes and then back to Pahrump. Watered some more trees and shrubs. A sunflower planted it's self near a garage door. I feed it some Miracle Grow. Lets see how big it can grow. I figure it planted it's self because of the Ukrainian Flag I fly. Either that or a bird deposited it. Watched some You Tube videos from Ukraine and some on Golf. Only 24 days to the big event. Golf in the shadow of Mt Shasta. This is the 30th year for me playing in this tournament. Just some money games amongst friends.

I had a doctors appointment in Vegas today. Got the results of the MRI of my knee. Maybe a tear starting, again. Maybe not. Doc said in a month if it's not better, scope again. I drove an hour and 15 minutes there. Was at the doctors office for 45 minutes and then back to Pahrump. Watered some more trees and shrubs. A sunflower planted it's self near a garage door. I feed it some Miracle Grow. Lets see how big it can grow. I figure it planted it's self because of the Ukrainian Flag I fly. Either that or a bird deposited it. Watched some You Tube videos from Ukraine and some on Golf. Only 24 days to the big event. Golf in the shadow of Mt Shasta. This is the 30th year for me playing in this tournament. Just some money games amongst friends.
And you're playing golf with a torn knee?

They are cooking out hot dogs at the pool today. Why they are starting at 2PM is not known. :questions:

2 hours of beer drinking time before cooking?

It's a beautiful rocket flying day here today, the wind direction is even favorable.
IMG_9377.JPG

But I'm inside getting odds and ends together to list on ebay. Like these vintage capacitors:

IMG_9369.JPG

2 hours of beer drinking time before cooking?

It's a beautiful rocket flying day here today, the wind direction is even favorable.

But I'm inside getting odds and ends together to list on ebay. Like these vintage capacitors:

View attachment 584168

you can't sell old capacitors, are they bulging on top?

You *absolutely* can sell old caps! Old orange drop caps are highly sought after, as are several other styles, for electric guitars and effects boxes. There's probably no noticeable difference in sound, but the old stuff has "magic".

You *absolutely* can sell old caps! Old orange drop caps are highly sought after, as are several other styles, for electric guitars and effects boxes. There's probably no noticeable difference in sound, but the old stuff has "magic"

There's a category for "vintage capacitors". Leakage and drift are acceptable for tone. It's not for me to judge!

You *absolutely* can sell old caps! Old orange drop caps are highly sought after, as are several other styles, for electric guitars and effects boxes. There's probably no noticeable difference in sound, but the old stuff has "magic".
A buddy of mine only plays his guitars using Mesa Boogie Tube Amps, they definitely have personality.

More interested in that 35 mm you have sitting there looking for a friend.

I was considering selling it and my SX-70. They're bringing decent money. I dunno, there's more stuff I'm not inclined to keep long-term. I'm really looking at moving some lenses that I have no use for. I just like them. I drug out the AE1 to check a spare lens before I list it.

I have a few 35mm's, in various states. Mostly average stuff. The Canon A1 is my favorite, it's a sentimental keeper. I like that AE-1, too, because of my age and it's popularity when I started fooling around with cameras.

I was considering selling it and my SX-70. They're bringing decent money.

The AE-1 is a nice piece of kit. I still have a lot of Olympus OM System gear, used every five years or so, but I cleared out most of my Polaroid stuff a few years ago. Probably only have five or six folders, three Spectras I can remember and a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and a few tubs of darkroom gear.

My oldest Polaroid camera. Nice complete J66 outfit in original leather case with manuals and film.

87B9C3CA-06DB-4D4C-8DD6-1B23AB34DB9D.jpeg71DD0757-4F4A-41B5-9AFC-470E5DA345DB.jpeg

Last edited:
I was considering selling it and my SX-70. They're bringing decent money. I dunno, there's more stuff I'm not inclined to keep long-term. I'm really looking at moving some lenses that I have no use for. I just like them. I drug out the AE1 to check a spare lens before I list it.

I have a few 35mm's, in various states. Mostly average stuff. The Canon A1 is my favorite, it's a sentimental keeper. I like that AE-1, too, because of my age and it's popularity when I started fooling around with cameras.
the A1 was my first camera, my son still has it. I looked on eBay to see what completed items have sold for and most of them are going between $90 -$120

Last edited:
Day 44.

I launched some rockets today with a few close friends. Just a private thing. However just like a week ago, it was fun, and then excruciatingly painful.

Again I came home and went to the bedroom, and again, no one asks,
"Did you have fun?!",
"How many need repairs?",
"How many did you launch?",
"Whadiya want to do for din din?",

Then: "Go take your shower."

So played it out in my mind. With her next to me on the bed. And I cried my ass off. Just like last Saturday. This is not gonna get 'better' is it??? Just gets to be the 'norm'. Just I get 'sort of used to it'.

GD it I need her. GD it's lonely without her. GD it I miss her.

Anything I missed?

I recieved and assembled a Maxxhaul rooftop cargo basket.
The basket comes in 3 tubular sections that slide into one another then are held in place with self tapping screws.
The sections are not true and needed to be muscled into each other.
The self tapping screw are cheap so the heads strip when any torque from a screwdriver is applied.
The individual ribs that make up the bottom of the basket are barely tack welded, not much weld even with the coat of paint.
Country of origin... (place your guess here)
Mildly disappointed but not surprised.

Image 6-3-23 at 6.21 PM.jpeg

I recieved and assembled a Maxxhaul rooftop cargo basket.
The basket comes in 3 tubular sections that slide into one another then are held in place with self tapping screws.
The sections are not true and needed to be muscled into each other.
The self tapping screw are cheap so the heads strip when any torque from a screwdriver is applied.
The individual ribs that make up the bottom of the basket are barely tack welded, not much weld even with the coat of paint.
Country of origin... (place your guess here)
Mildly disappointed but not surprised.

View attachment 584277
What is going up there?

And you're playing golf with a torn knee?
The knee didn't hurt at all. It hurts when I drive and when I get in bed. Doc said give it a month. He knows I play golf.

Today I slept a lot. I didn't really get fully alert until about 7:30pm. Watched some golf videos and some Ukraine videos.

Last edited:
Back