What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 36.

Did almost nothing other than gather up some rockets I prepped for RocStock in April. I never launched them. Instead I launched into a whole new phase of my life that right now SUCKS.

However I cut a few more matts from Penny. Brushed her twice. Then made sure she had at least two days of dry food and at least that much water. Chance favors the prepared, not that I will ever be a 'prepper'.

Tossed a few things. Other than that, a few pairs of cargo pants came from Kohls. Again free using all the credit my sister got me by turning in still tagged clothing.

Looking at using even more credit to get a Ring doorbell and Ring router. Or nest? Or?

Logged onto the employer benefits site and changed my coverages to just me. Then I fell apart when it came up with - Kim L Gortatowsky - Deceased.

Screw this world. 😭

Yeah, they stick like they were applied with CA... but then, they act like little packets of acid. Love Bugs and Motorcycle rides in May do NOT mix. #FloridaBugs
I lived in Melbourne Florida in '79. I know about Love Bugs. I killed a giant mosquito with a broom and had to it him twice. Fit in a little match box.

Refinishing the inside of our canoe. It’s only been 25 years since I built it, so no surprise that it needed some love. First pic is after some sanding. Second is after the second of three coats of water-based polyurethane. It’s not a @hobie1dog microscope finish, but it’s a solid 2-foot finish. Not bad for a boat that we use fairly regularly in summer.

95A2E218-1ABA-4BCA-BD1B-DEF197D5CAF6.jpeg
565D1330-62C4-41E7-B143-24780BDCB828.jpeg

While waiting for the varnish to dry, I also changed the oil in the van.

Nope. Toxic to pythons. Common Keelback snakes (non-venomous) snack on them quite happily.
So we need a breeding program for keelback snakes to get rid of the cane toads. What could possibly go wrong............

All together now.

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly​

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Fancy that to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,

There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog;
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I don't know how she swallowed a cow;
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse...
She's dead, of course!

Refinishing the inside of our canoe. It’s only been 25 years since I built it, so no surprise that it needed some love. First pic is after some sanding. Second is after the second of three coats of water-based polyurethane. It’s not a @hobie1dog microscope finish, but it’s a solid 2-foot finish. Not bad for a boat that we use fairly regularly in summer.

View attachment 582745
View attachment 582746

While waiting for the varnish to dry, I also changed the oil in the van.
Beautiful craftsmanship. Well done. 👏👏

Wasn't planning on swapping out a broken sewage/waste pump this afternoon, but sometimes that happens.

I had went downstairs to get my fish filleting board and heard something running that shouldn't have been. Motor on the pump was spinning constantly. Figuring it was just a bad float switch, got the pipes undone and cover off the crock to discover it was full of water. Oh, goody, not the float.

The impeller on the pump decided it wanted to be in several pieces; making it hard to actually move any water.

Luckily, the previous owner of our place left an old pump here and years ago I tested it and it worked fine. So, it's in there now and all is well; but going to get a new one ASAP.

Also got the pontoon un-shrinkwrapped, fueled up and in the lake. I always enjoy hauling it to/from the launch. Bunch of oversize pickups with some smaller boats, and here's me yanking a 20' pontoon around with an Outback (yes, it's within ratings, and I'm going half a mile).

Found a new photo site called Pexels and downloaded about 70 pictures or so to add to my IMGUR account. My wife proceeded to cross my eyes, which would take three undertakers to uncross. :bravo: :p

I've been patching stuff around here like I'm Microsoft. Found a leak on the toilet. I found water dripping off of one of the bolts that holds the tank onto the base. I couldn't fit anything under there, so I duct taped a small disposable loaf pan to the bathroom trash can, and punched a hole in the bottom of it - a sort of funky funnel. I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow and find out in FlexTape really does seal "even under water".

I've been patching stuff around here like I'm Microsoft. Found a leak on the toilet. I found water dripping off of one of the bolts that holds the tank onto the base. I couldn't fit anything under there, so I duct taped a small disposable loaf pan to the bathroom trash can, and punched a hole in the bottom of it - a sort of funky funnel. I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow and find out in FlexTape really does seal "even under water".
They usually sell a Tank repair kit with new rubber washers that go under the heads of the bolts and also has the rubber gromments that go between the tank and the base so that you could end up with all new ones..... but you also may not be able to do that with your foot still healing. The roll of Flex tape is about $16

Side story: the idiot I used to rent my garage from came out one day as I was going in front of his condo and he was carrying a two gallon plastic pail and said that he was going to Lowe's to buy a role of flex tape so that he could patch the hole in the bottom of the bucket. I told him that he would also have to scuff up the slick plastic to have the flex tape adhere to it and the Flex tape would also be around $16 by the time he walked out the door. And he would be spending his time Fixing a bucket with a hole in it that would not have a smooth bottom in it anymore..... he could buy a brand new pail for $4 and not waste this time. He wasn't the brightest human ever put on the face of the earth

Last edited:
They usually sell a Tank repair kit with new rubber washers that go under the heads of the bolts and also has the rubber gromments that go between the tank and the base so that you could end up with all new ones..... but you also may not be able to do that with your foot still healing. The roll of Flex tape is about $16

Side story: the idiot I used to rent my garage from came out one day as I was going in front of his condo and he was carrying a two gallon plastic pail and said that he was going to Lowe's to buy a role of flex tape so that he could patch the hole in the bottom of the bucket. I told him that he would also have to scuff up the slick plastic to have the flex tape adhere to it and the Flex tape would also be around $16 by the time he walked out the door. And he would be spending his time Fixing a bucket with a hole in it that would not have a smooth bottom in it anymore..... he could buy a brand new pail for $4 and not waste this time. He wasn't the brightest human ever put on the face of the earth
I've got to stop (patch) the leak until I can do a permanent repair. I need to replace the fill valve, too.

I've got to stop (patch) the leak until I can do a permanent repair. I need to replace the fill valve, too.
Should be less than $30 for all the parts that you say need to be replaced and about 2 hours work.....2 hours because you will probably need to make 2 more trips to the store....

Should be less than $30 for all the parts that you say need to be replaced and about 2 hours work.....2 hours because you will probably need to make 2 more trips to the store....
Oh, no, it's going to be more $ than that. After Marty's post, I looked at repair kits. $12 for a pair of bolts, plus washers, &c. $16 for a roll of FlexSeal tape. OK, we'll go for the bolts. Now, where the F^%#@$ are my Snap-On deep sockets? [more cursing] Now, I've gotta stop at Harbor Freight, too.

I got knocked down with the flu. It felt like when I got COVID, with chills, a desperate need for sleep, and aching glutes (a real pain in the butt).

The difference was that a hot bath made things a little better and I haven’t had trouble breathing. I cautiously estimate that I’m going in the right direction and should be able to move without feeling cold and sore by sometime late tomorrow.

I’m kinda bummed that I wasn’t able to get any painting done today.

Oh, no, it's going to be more $ than that. After Marty's post, I looked at repair kits. $12 for a pair of bolts, plus washers, &c. $16 for a roll of FlexSeal tape. OK, we'll go for the bolts. Now, where the F^%#@$ are my Snap-On deep sockets? [more cursing] Now, I've gotta stop at Harbor Freight, too.
For what it's worth, you've arrived at the magical point where my many years of plumbing experience tell me to replace the toilet. A solid repair for a reasonable price. The new designs offer outstanding solids handling characteristics.

Jim

Last edited:
(Last night) Played four games of 8-ball with my mentor, Jim. Lost every one. But that's ok, Jim is extremely good. He did one of those shots where you pop the cue ball in an arc over one ball, to strike another into the corner pocket.

For what it's worth, you've arrived at the magical point where my many years of plumbing experience tell me to replace the toilet.
The deciding factor also becomes the height of the bowl, as replacing a short/conventional model with a newer 18" tall model will greatly help you get on and off of it with advancing age,

Back