What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
if you haven't been on it in that long it's probably time to get rid of it but I would just do the filters, plugs, drain the gas, and then put some new gas in it with a bottle of fuel conditioner/ carb cleaner which there's several to choose from and fire it back up.
Yeah, that basically what I did last time. Put some Seafoam in there. It was hard to (or I wasn't willing to take on the work of) getting the Seafoam farther down the fuel system than the tank. I got it to run, but it would stall if I let it idle. It was enough to allow me to drive it to a shop that could properly clean the carbs. However, it never really idled well from that point onward. If I started it and left it to warm up, it would stall. I adjusted the idle speed a bit, but it didn't have any effect

If you can't get one from him, the one HF sells actually works pretty well (I've had mine for at least ten years and used it quite a bit). It's small enough that you'd probably have to break the carb rack apart but that's not a big deal typically.
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.htm
That link didn't work for me, but I think I found it https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html
Oh, it was just missing a trailing "l" as in L

made a few calls, sent out a few texts, so that we can get together tomorrow down at the Gazebo, below the pool for some cigars and pipe tobacco

Zach, the pilot flies rockets with us from time to time, and his Dad helped us get the farmers permission to use the field. He's awesome and knows we shut down when we see him coming or going usually he flies right by the flight line at 100' alltitude, its a fan favorite, the kids think its like Dusty Crophopper.
There were a couple of those flybys at Sod Blaster that looked lower than 100'. I would have guessed 50-75 with 60+ degrees of roll!

There were a couple of those flybys at Sod Blaster that looked lower than 100'. I would have guessed 50-75 with 60+ degrees of roll!
They probably were...Zach enjoys what he does. He even got to play firefighter at a launch once, there was a large fire burning south and west of the launch site (not caused by rockets) and the local FD asked him to water bomb for them.

I've had 2 that were both ok (they gave me Fentanyl and Versed). This was my mom's 2nd one (what a n00b lol), but her first one was excruciating (no sedation) so this time it was at a full blown hospital so they could give her sedation and then some. However, they didn't give her anything, which really pissed her off, but it also didn't hurt at all, so all was forgiven 😂
Yes, stick needles in and then the electricity. No sedation. No nothing except grabbing the edge of the exam table. Ouch.

I'm at for my cigar buddies over the gazebo but we had to cut it short as the 16 mile an hour wind from that cold front moved in and made it to rather uncomfortable

12 days... worth every second. :D Not doable without my talented bride's help and utter control of all things creative. Not my best work, but likely the best work I have ever made from a "sow's ear". (Boxes we started with were max $10.99 at the Lobby.) If I'm lucky, the grands will destroy them in short order, and I can replace them with scratch-built. :D

LEFT: Front view, hard to see, but the box bottoms are lined with a full 1/8" of dense felt on a PSA backing. It ain't never coming off. Put it on with over-hang and hand trimmed it with my Olfa cutter. Did the best I could with the original hardware mounting and sanding to fit the tops snugly, while not binding the hinges... mostly successful. One hiccup.... I did 5 boxes. Somehow the "5th box" was used rather than remaining set aside.... so I am "dealing" with some issues like making the top stay open when I want it open without ripping out the slightly misaligned hinges less than 12 hours from departure. ;)

RIGHT: All four boxes together in a set, perhaps for the last time. Renee did a super job with the water-slides. Pretty sure I am hiring her to design custom water-slides for my L1/L2 rocket. I sprayed these boxes with a gaZillion layers of matte poly. 😎
2023-02-09 15.26.36.jpg2023-02-09 15.26.44.jpg

LEFT: That's my #1 Grandson's box there. He is such a pistol, and will likely be the first to understand anything about what these are, represent, etc.

RIGHT: The interiors to all of the box lids forever belong to Nonnie & Papaw. As we feel led, we will tape off and decoupage/poly a new message(s) to one or all. It may or may not always relate to being a good steward of the resources God gives us.
2023-02-09 15.26.56.jpg2023-02-09 15.28.18.jpg

BELOW: The first of what we sincerely hope will be a 72-round collection of 0.999 or better silver bullion. Ideally, they will speed things along by purchasing their own rounds, too. There'll always be an empty case available to fill just one more. Box interior bottoms also covered in 1/8" thick dense felt. Noise and shock reduction from heavy objects hitting horizontal surfaces. :)
2023-02-09 15.29.36.jpg

Now, I'm off to wrap Miss Cora's 1st Birthday gift, pack, and get Stewie situated for neighbor-care.

Last edited:
12 days... worth every second. :D Not doable without my talented bride's help and utter control of all things creative. Not my best work, but likely the best work I have ever made from a "sow's ear". (Boxes we started with were max $10.99 at the Lobby.) If I'm lucky, the grands will destroy them in short order, and I can replace them with scratch-built. :D

LEFT: Front view, hard to see, but the box bottoms are lined with a full 1/8" of dense felt on a PSA backing. It ain't never coming off. Put it on with over-hang and hand tripped it with my Olfa cutter. Did the best I could with the original hardware mounting and sanding to fit the tops snug and not bind the hinges... mostly successful. One hiccup.... I did 5 boxes. Somehow the "5th box" was used rather than remaining set aside.... so I am "dealing" with some issues like making the top stay open when I want it open without ripping out the slightly misaligned hinges less than 12 hours from departure. ;)

RIGHT: All four boxes together in a set, perhaps for the last time. Renee did a super job with the water-slides. Pretty sure I am hiring her to design custom water-slides for my L1/L2 rocket. I sprayed these boxes with a gaZillion layers of poly. 😎
View attachment 562400
nice work

Looking to buy a classic twin-shock trials bike and start competing as a vintage rider. Also looking at a Royal Enfield 411 Scram as a 'clear my head' bike.

I'm too old for big sport bikes and the only Harley I ever wanted was an XR-750 flat tracker. Cause you know, it's an XR.

For the trials bike, there are many great options from brands like Montesa, Ossa, and Bultaco, to name a few. You can start by researching these brands and looking for bikes that fit your budget and riding style. Consider reaching out to local trials riding communities and talking to other riders to get their opinions and recommendations.

As for the Royal Enfield 411 Scram, it's a classic, vintage-style bike that can be a great way to clear your head and enjoy some relaxed, scenic rides. It's also a well-regarded bike with a loyal following, so you can be sure you'll have a lot of support from other riders. Both bikes can be a lot of fun, but it's important to make sure you choose one that fits your needs and abilities. so read here the bike differences. Try to test ride both types of bikes, if possible, to get a feel for them and to make sure you'll be comfortable and safe while riding.

For the trials bike, there are many great options from brands like Montesa, Ossa, and Bultaco, to name a few. You can start by researching these brands and looking for bikes that fit your budget and riding style.
the Honda TL series Trials bikes cannot be dismissed, as they are definitely the most reliable trials bike ever made

For the trials bike, there are many great options from brands like Montesa, Ossa, and Bultaco, to name a few.

I’m looking at an old twin-shock purely because it’s appropriate for me. Taking up a new sport in your 60’s is an interesting proposition.

If money were no object I’d go for the Ossa. Sammy Miller had a lot of input into those and also the TY Yamaha. Pedigree is important.

I’ve ridden the Himalayan the Scram is derived from and it’s a damned nice little bike. Probably the trials bike will occupy so much of my time I won’t miss road riding.

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it.

the Honda TL series Trials bikes cannot be dismissed, as they are definitely the most reliable trials bike ever made

On the short list, but thin on the ground compared to the TY. I rode a TL a long time ago and I liked it. Mind you, at the time I was building two stroke cafe racers so it was a very different experience. Always wanted to try trials so why not?

There is a comp for ‘oldest combined age’ bike and rider. I could be up for that in a few years.

There is a comp for ‘oldest combined age’ bike and rider. I could be up for that in a few years.
I wanted to take my Enduro bike and enter it into Hare scrambles and that way I could enter the 55 and older class, but I got messed up about 3-4 months before I was going to enter my first race

Back