What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I got home from inventorying a Dollar General, I mixed up some JB Weld to fill in a few small 'nicks' on a 3D Resin print of a Traveller Type S Scout Ship.

Trav-Suleiman-Scout-Caswell_26-April-2019a.jpg
Type-S-Shots.png

My model doesn't have the landing gear, but I'm planning on painting it in a similar pattern.

I'm glad you got some relief! I've been...less lucky...I had a microdiscectomy at L3/4 many moons ago and got amazing relief from completely disabling sciatica. However that disc kinda disintegrated over the next 15 years. I had L3-4 fused in 2016 but I was too hard on it and developed more sciatica, but it stemmed from L4/5 instead. I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in late 2020, which helped some, but I then had a decompression surgery about 18 mos ago, but I felt immediately worse, like I was still in the recovery room and I told them I had MORE numbness and MORE paralysis. I think it was a spinal epidural hematoma, but they didn't treat me for it right away. About 6 weeks later, I had the same decompression surgery again. That helped for about a month. This past June I had L4-5 fused. Unrelated to my back problems, I have a nerve condition that causes cold burning in my feet (like diabetic nerve pain, but w/o the diabetes) so this stimulator targets the feet specifically by targeting the S1 nerve roots. I like to say I'm 47 going on 74. I've also had 12 knee surgeries w/one joint replacement and that's sadly not even the end of the list LOL
The surgeon my local doctor recommended is Canadian & studied medicine in Canada & Germany. The first thing I asked him is does he do spinal fusion and he emphatically said no. My brother had neck vertebrae fusion and is having more problems due to the fusion. Several friends of mine have had spinal fusion and have had problems years later due to the fusion. So I wanted someone operating on me that doesn't do fusion.

In Europe they actually replace bad disks with artificial ones, something I don't think is done yet in the US.

My cousin had spinal fusion and it completely debilitated him. It ruined his life for many years, then he was hit by a stroke. From what he used to be he is a very sorry specimen. It must be mentally wrecking him to be so dependent on his wife.

The surgeon my local doctor recommended is Canadian & studied medicine in Canada & Germany. The first thing I asked him is does he do spinal fusion and he emphatically said no. My brother had neck vertebrae fusion and is having more problems due to the fusion. Several friends of mine have had spinal fusion and have had problems years later due to the fusion. So I wanted someone operating on me that doesn't do fusion.

In Europe they actually replace bad disks with artificial ones, something I don't think is done yet in the US.
They do it in the US, but it's far less common. I asked about it, but I wasn't a candidate because of previous surgery. My original neurosurgeon put 2 in my friend's neck. I tried to avoid the 2nd fusion, but 2.5 years of injections and stimulators and opiates and PT and even Ketamine infusions and I couldn't take it anymore.

My cousin had spinal fusion and it completely debilitated him. It ruined his life for many years, then he was hit by a stroke. From what he used to be he is a very sorry specimen. It must be mentally wrecking him to be so dependent on his wife.
Yeah, fusions have to be your last choice and if your primary symptom is back pain, all the literature these days says do NOT do it. In my case, back pain was never really a problem. Well, not at the affected levels. My L2/3 level has a lot of problems as well, and it does actually hurt. It also likes to subluxate (partial dislocation that goes right back into place) and that hurts like mad, but it's very short-lived, so it's tolerable

Last edited:
I had an Electro Myelogram once. And once was enough. I told the Doc that the Spanish Inquisition had nothing on this.
I had a Nerve Conduction test, which as I understand is part of an electromyelogram. Or maybe two names for the same thing, I dunno. Anyway, the neurologist stuck needles in my leg and sent progressive shocks thru them. No sedation, no nuthin. Unpleasant, but man, I've stood far worse. Maybe I'm more tolerant to pain than I thought....nah, I'm a baby about pain. :)

It varies with the individual. Spinal fusion was absolutely miserable for a week, painful for a couple months, took 6 months for recovery. But it greatly reduced my back pain for some years, though it's gotten somewhat worse of late. Still, I count it as a win and would probably do it again if I had the kind of pain previous to the surgery.

Surgeon told me that cervical surgery was more iffy; about half got relief, other half either the same or worse. Which is why I got my primary care MD to recommend me to Pain Management. It's been a pain (no pun intended) in some ways but I am, mostly, managing my pain.

I had a Nerve Conduction test, which as I understand is part of an electromyelogram. Or maybe two names for the same thing, I dunno. Anyway, the neurologist stuck needles in my leg and sent progressive shocks thru them. No sedation, no nuthin. Unpleasant, but man, I've stood far worse. Maybe I'm more tolerant to pain than I thought....nah, I'm a baby about pain. :)

It varies with the individual. Spinal fusion was absolutely miserable for a week, painful for a couple months, took 6 months for recovery. But it greatly reduced my back pain for some years, though it's gotten somewhat worse of late. Still, I count it as a win and would probably do it again if I had the kind of pain previous to the surgery.

Surgeon told me that cervical surgery was more iffy; about half got relief, other half either the same or worse. Which is why I got my primary care MD to recommend me to Pain Management. It's been a pain (no pun intended) in some ways but I am, mostly, managing my pain.
Oh yeah, sorry, an electromyelogram is an EMG, those aren't usually bad as long as you don't mind being poked with needles. A myelogram in the other sense is an XRay and CT scan but they usually sedate you because they inject dye into ur spinal cord and that is sometimes painless and sometimes excruciating. Coincidentally, I've had 2 of each, tho one EMG was for my hand/arm and one was for my lower leg

Do you have to see pain management every month? That gets old after a couple years, but necessary if you have enough pain that you can't drop the painkillers w/o feeling miserable

Cleveland clinic has some Dr's who do replacement disks. My wife got 1 a few years ago. She had been doing "treatments" (physical therapy, injections, electrostem, etc) for a few years. She was finally told to move on to surgery. She could tell that there was improvement before we left hospital. Was in pain, but the pain was different. Unfortunately she had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia. So the out patient surgery was an extra 6+ hrs in recovery room.

Cleveland clinic has some Dr's who do replacement disks. My wife got 1 a few years ago. She had been doing "treatments" (physical therapy, injections, electrostem, etc) for a few years. She was finally told to move on to surgery. She could tell that there was improvement before we left hospital. Was in pain, but the pain was different. Unfortunately she had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia. So the out patient surgery was an extra 6+ hrs in recovery room.
On the downside, my 24th surgery is coming up, but on the upside, I've never had an issue w/general anesthesia (I did have one spinal block which went very badly, but that's it).

I'm glad ur wife eventually pulled out of it, I'm sure that was scary

I was told I needed a spinal fusion in '84 after an horrific motorcycle accident and a resultant C2 fracture. I declined.

I had a lot of acupuncture, physiotherapy and rehab. I also had a nasty opiate addiction in there for a while.

I still have pain. I still have limited mobility. Every spinal injury is different.

I would get a second (third?) opinion before I had a fusion.

Not wanting to put anyone off the surgery, please don't get me wrong. Every spinal injury is different. Every single one.

PS: I still ride, every damned chance I get.

what's on it? what type of m/c?

Looking to buy a classic twin-shock trials bike and start competing as a vintage rider. Also looking at a Royal Enfield 411 Scram as a 'clear my head' bike.

I'm too old for big sport bikes and the only Harley I ever wanted was an XR-750 flat tracker. Cause you know, it's an XR.

Looking to buy a classic twin-shock trials bike and start competing as a vintage rider. Also looking at a Royal Enfield 411 Scram as a 'clear my head' bike.

I'm too old for big sport bikes and the only Harley I ever wanted was an XR-750 flat tracker. Cause you know, it's an XR.
Montesa Cota :bravo: I had 4 Montesa bikes back in the mid 70's

one of my favorites out of 18 m/c's was a Yamaha MX400B, super good handling, power, reliability. a TY250 would be awesome.

The TY will climb a tree. The only mod they really need is to disconnect the oil injector pump and run straight two-stroke mix in the tank. Some versions of the injectolube system only runs the injector pump when the clutch is is fully engaged. Not great on a trials bike. :(

I was told I needed a spinal fusion in '84 after an horrific motorcycle accident and a resultant C2 fracture. I declined.

I had a lot of acupuncture, physiotherapy and rehab. I also had a nasty opiate addiction in there for a while.

I still have pain. I still have limited mobility. Every spinal injury is different.

I would get a second (third?) opinion before I had a fusion.

Not wanting to put anyone off the surgery, please don't get me wrong. Every spinal injury is different. Every single one.

PS: I still ride, every damned chance I get.
I should probably sell my bike (Honda Shadow VT-1100). I haven't been able to ride it since late 2018 with the knee replacement and then the back issues. I didn't prep it properly b4 the knee replacement as I wasn't expecting to get infected etc, so it's got bad gas in it, which is not the first time. I can replace the filters and spark plugs and drain the gas, but I am too inexperienced and broken to jet the carburetor. Ugh.

watched LeBron break Kareem's record on a step-back midi in one of the 27 guys named williams' face on the okc thunder lebron.JPG (then i worked on some rocket stuff)

I should probably sell my bike (Honda Shadow VT-1100). I haven't been able to ride it since late 2018 with the knee replacement and then the back issues. I didn't prep it properly b4 the knee replacement as I wasn't expecting to get infected etc, so it's got bad gas in it, which is not the first time. I can replace the filters and spark plugs and drain the gas, but I am too inexperienced and broken to jet the carburetor. Ugh.
if you haven't been on it in that long it's probably time to get rid of it but I would just do the filters, plugs, drain the gas, and then put some new gas in it with a bottle of fuel conditioner/ carb cleaner which there's several to choose from and fire it back up.

Did some day job stuff last night...

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 3.06.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 3.04.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 3.04.11 AM.png

After a nap, I worked on designs for a few new things for our Etsy store. Lots of iterating, but I now have 2 new products designed.

Do you have to see pain management every month? That gets old after a couple years, but necessary if you have enough pain that you can't drop the painkillers w/o feeling miserable
Injection every three months. Follow-up every month. At least the follow-ups are here in town, five minutes away. For treatments I drove an hour there, and wife drives me an hour back because sedation.

Injection every three months. Follow-up every month. At least the follow-ups are here in town, five minutes away. For treatments I drove an hour there, and wife drives me an hour back because sedation.
Yeah, my regular appointments are 10-15 min drive but the procedures are all 30 min away. The Trans-Foraminal Epidural Steroid Injections I can do w/o sedation, but I had some Caudal ESIs and man those hurt. They come up from under your sacrum. Ow. They did work a lil better for me tho. Eventually my insurance said "enough already, try something else". Never a great sign lol

Ah, here we go, an EMG is an electromyogram
(w/o the "el") https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/4825-electromyograms
Myelogram is https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/4892-myelogram

I'm getting my stimulator trial leads pulled at the doc's office, so I had time to kill ;)
Now, do I have it implanted or not...

Back