What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pity any modern car mechanic as it looks like a real nightmare to try to get to anything in an engine compartment nowadays
Some are, some aren't...my 2010 Mini Clubman for example and my wifes 2018 Pacifica, tight spaces but not too bad....my 1999 Audi A4 OTOH...anything requiring access to the side of the engine required removing the WHOLE front drivetrain...from beneath...wasn't going to happen outside of a shop environment, at least not for me.

Here is the link to the Excel Spreadsheet for the Coolant Concentration "Mixing Problem" table... It is just a draft, but I am pretty sure the math is right.
Automotive Coolant Concentration Calculator

And a screenshot:
Coolant_Conce_SS.jpg

Holler if y'all have questions.

I pity any modern car mechanic as it looks like a real nightmare to try to get to anything in an engine compartment nowadays
It is an absolute nightmare.... Something like 29 fasteners to remove in order to START the coolant swap.

Last edited:
I got out of bed. Friday at 5pm I got my 3rd Covid booster. By 7pm I was in bed. Bad headache, sore shoulder and fatigue. I think I had a mild fever as I was cold and shivering. First one blanket. Then two. Then three. Slept for 20 hours. Got up to sever kidney pain and still a headache. Changed into dry sweats and a shirt. The kidney pain was so sever I took one of the Hydrocodone's I had left over from shoulder surgery. Knocked the pain down about 80%. After a few hours I was back in bed. Slept 13 hours. Got up, put on dry sweats and shirt. Still had bad kidney pain and a headache. Still tired. Took my morning pills with the prescription amphetamine and another Hydrocodone. That did the trick. Kidneys still hurt a little. Watched and read some news. Considered my SHTF supplies. Mostly good. Have been looking at ways to get gas out of the underground tanks if the electrical grid goes down from an EMP device. I had considered it before when Russia invaded Ukraine. I found some 12V pumps that might work. About the only thing I want are solar panels. We have been looking into that.

Orientation today for the new intern at work, including a free lunch. She starts the interesting stuff tomorrow. There is a whole bunch of interns commencing their year with us. Many disciplines, like electronics, mechanical, service, chemists, marketing, all kick off today.

Thai for dinner :) .

Orientation today for the new intern at work, including a free lunch. She starts the interesting stuff tomorrow. There is a whole bunch of interns commencing their year with us. Many disciplines, like electronics, mechanical, service, chemists, marketing, all kick off today.

Thai for dinner :) .
I love how excited a crop of new kids can be, reminds me not to be so jaded

I love how excited a crop of new kids can be, reminds me not to be so jaded
I can't like this comment enough. The infusion of unjaded, true-believer energy from the new "kids" (you tend to be around 30 in my field when you finally get out of school and get a job) is the most effective inocculent against giving in to the artificial barriers to actually getting things done.

sorted the 'Tupperware cabinet'. amazing how fast they accumulate..

managed to top-off the 'recycling bin'!! with tops & bottom that don't match (or was just .. gross)

Another day cleaning my house and workshop. I did take a break to make adaptors for my test stand.

Did a lot of gluing and a little painting. Now on Step 14 of the 1/12 scale Ferrari Testarossa. I know, some of those parts are supposed to be "Ferrari Red" but it's MY car.:) If a rich, distant relative left me millions, I'd buy one and have every red part painted either metallic royal blue or pearl royal blue. But I'm pretty sure this is the only Ferrari I'll ever own. So it goes.

Unfortunately, as you can see, my painting ability by hand is 2/10. :( But what the heck, Revell's molding ability and instruction-writing ability isn't too good either. Several parts simply would not go together as they were supposed to. So I'm not too worried about a few bobbles.

Only 34 steps to go...
1675735308547.png

Recovered from trial implantation of a DRG (dorsal root ganglia, i.e. nerve) stimulator by trying to clear up the mess that is my yard after an ice storm, while avoiding the tap water due to a boil water notice (also due to the ice storm).
Took my mother for a myelogram, got a tooth extracted and a bone graft and stitches put in. 2 hours later, the stitches are coming untied. And, just got the good news, my wife backed into the neighbor's car which is parked on the street due to the tree branches being removed. Oh yeah, and while getting out of the car to go into the dentist's office, the battery pack and signal generator box, taped to my back for the DRG stimulator trial, were nearly ripped clean off by the edge of the car door opening. The thing was basically dangling off my back. Miraculously, it doesn't seem to have pulled on the leads that enter my back and wrap around the S1 nerves. I'm pretty happy this day is just about done.

Fixed the dang swing arm lamp next to the bed, again. This time the pivot at the lamp broke. I took everything apart, then after some fiddling around, drilled a through hole and ran a #6 machine screw threw the mechanism. Tightened it down, reassembled. Good for now (until something *else* breaks).

I had an Electro Myelogram once. And once was enough. I told the Doc that the Spanish Inquisition had nothing on this.

Besides playing with the cats, I have been watching old westerns on You Tube. I have been watching Randolph Scott movies. Reminds me of being a kid.

I had an Electro Myelogram once. And once was enough. I told the Doc that the Spanish Inquisition had nothing on this.

Besides playing with the cats, I have been watching old westerns on You Tube. I have been watching Randolph Scott movies. Reminds me of being a kid.
I've had 2 that were both ok (they gave me Fentanyl and Versed). This was my mom's 2nd one (what a n00b lol), but her first one was excruciating (no sedation) so this time it was at a full blown hospital so they could give her sedation and then some. However, they didn't give her anything, which really pissed her off, but it also didn't hurt at all, so all was forgiven 😂

Recovered from trial implantation of a DRG (dorsal root ganglia, i.e. nerve) stimulator by trying to clear up the mess that is my yard after an ice storm, while avoiding the tap water due to a boil water notice (also due to the ice storm).
I've got a scar on my spine in about the same location. I had lumbar stenosis (opening around the nerves being constricted) at L3/L4 & L4/L5 almost 3 years ago. After years of chronic back pain I am now pain free. :)

Took my mother for a myelogram, got a tooth extracted and a bone graft and stitches put in. 2 hours later, the stitches are coming untied. And, just got the good news, my wife backed into the neighbor's car which is parked on the street due to the tree branches being removed. Oh yeah, and while getting out of the car to go into the dentist's office, the battery pack and signal generator box, taped to my back for the DRG stimulator trial, were nearly ripped clean off by the edge of the car door opening. The thing was basically dangling off my back. Miraculously, it doesn't seem to have pulled on the leads that enter my back and wrap around the S1 nerves. I'm pretty happy this day is just about done.
The sutures in my mouth came untied so I had to go back to the dentist so he could numb me up again (needles to the roof of the mouth are sooo fun), take out the old sutures and put different ones in, and he added a 2nd knot for good measure. I've had way too many needles since Friday.

I've got a scar on my spine in about the same location. I had lumbar stenosis (opening around the nerves being constricted) at L3/L4 & L4/L5 almost 3 years ago. After years of chronic back pain I am now pain free. :)
I'm glad you got some relief! I've been...less lucky...I had a microdiscectomy at L3/4 many moons ago and got amazing relief from completely disabling sciatica. However that disc kinda disintegrated over the next 15 years. I had L3-4 fused in 2016 but I was too hard on it and developed more sciatica, but it stemmed from L4/5 instead. I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in late 2020, which helped some, but I then had a decompression surgery about 18 mos ago, but I felt immediately worse, like I was still in the recovery room and I told them I had MORE numbness and MORE paralysis. I think it was a spinal epidural hematoma, but they didn't treat me for it right away. About 6 weeks later, I had the same decompression surgery again. That helped for about a month. This past June I had L4-5 fused. Unrelated to my back problems, I have a nerve condition that causes cold burning in my feet (like diabetic nerve pain, but w/o the diabetes) so this stimulator targets the feet specifically by targeting the S1 nerve roots. I like to say I'm 47 going on 74. I've also had 12 knee surgeries w/one joint replacement and that's sadly not even the end of the list LOL

I'm glad you got some relief! I've been...less lucky...I had a microdiscectomy at L3/4 many moons ago and got amazing relief from completely disabling sciatica. However that disc kinda disintegrated over the next 15 years. I had L3-4 fused in 2016 but I was too hard on it and developed more sciatica, but it stemmed from L4/5 instead. I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in late 2020, which helped some, but I then had a decompression surgery about 18 mos ago, but I felt immediately worse, like I was still in the recovery room and I told them I had MORE numbness and MORE paralysis. I think it was a spinal epidural hematoma, but they didn't treat me for it right away. About 6 weeks later, I had the same decompression surgery again. That helped for about a month. This past June I had L4-5 fused. Unrelated to my back problems, I have a nerve condition that causes cold burning in my feet (like diabetic nerve pain, but w/o the diabetes) so this stimulator targets the feet specifically by targeting the S1 nerve roots. I like to say I'm 47 going on 74. I've also had 12 knee surgeries w/one joint replacement and that's sadly not even the end of the list LOL
I believe the official medical term is "hot mess" ;)

The sutures in my mouth came untied so I had to go back to the dentist so he could numb me up again (needles to the roof of the mouth are sooo fun), take out the old sutures and put different ones in, and he added a 2nd knot for good measure. I've had way too many needles since Friday.
Why hasn't some company made a Bourbon flavored anesthetic that you could just swish in your mouth for awhile to numb the gums. :)

Back