What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my taxes using the IRS free fillable forms. They were a bit of a PITA to navigate between forms and instructions (and use Chrome instead of Firefox so that the fields line up right), but still easier to have it do all of the math for me. Also, it's free so you don't have to pony up to TurboTax. Overall rating: 3.5/5, would use again.

Net income tax rate: a hair less than 9% very few special deductions or credits. That doesn't include Social Security or Medicare, either.

Recovered from trial implantation of a DRG (dorsal root ganglia, i.e. nerve) stimulator by trying to clear up the mess that is my yard after an ice storm, while avoiding the tap water due to a boil water notice (also due to the ice storm).

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_202310743.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230201_202310743.MP.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230201_202653650.jpg
    PXL_20230201_202653650.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230204_160426001.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230204_160426001.MP.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
We had a group of students visit our hangar this afternoon. One was in a PA program and the others are in an accelerated RN program for people who already have a related medical BS degree. They gave me hope for some newer nurses and all asked really good questions. One even asked if he could do an internship with our program. I always like sharing what we do, but it was especially nice meeting with a group like these who had the right knowledge and attitude to join us as their career.

Recovered from trial implantation of a DRG (dorsal root ganglia, i.e. nerve) stimulator by trying to clear up the mess that is my yard after an ice storm, while avoiding the tap water due to a boil water notice (also due to the ice storm).

Like Joshua, but 50 or so miles east, dealing with the ice storm. Three days without power, but saved by two critical tools...

1675571604124.png1675571649353.png

We were cold, but not real bad, and we didn't lose any food.

3 days without power, most people would be in straight jackets but at least you had your generator.
Staying busy kept me sane. Even running 2 freezers and a refrigerator, the 3kW Honda had enough left over to get innovative with a charging station for all the cell phone/iPad/Nook/Kindle stuff, plus bring the LiPos I had charged for the weekend's non-launch back down to storage voltage levels.
And I played with the cats... they're great for keeping me sane, or what passes for it. :cool:

Coolant Change, 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium: :mad:🤬.... <cold and rain> 🤔🤔🤔🤓 </cold and rain><one week laya-tur>🙏😎😄👍🙌

Ford. I just can't.... 🤐 But I beat the engineers... this time. I figured out how to get a proper coolant system flush/clean/flush/coolant type swap/concentration set on a system virtually impossible to work on.

Set concentration in 3 steps from 100% RODI water fill to approx. 53.49% concentration (50-60% mfg suggested range), using C₁V₁ + C₂V₂ = C₃V₃ (mixture problem). "C"s are concentrations. "V"s are volumes. Going to write it up as a regression in Excel and post it back here if I think about it.

EXCEL Tab: All you will need to do is enter 1) the total volume/capacity of the cooling system and 2) the measured fluid drain volume (via plug, reservoir, etc.). The math should all be worked out. You then just identify the step that gives you the required/desired concentration or just a bit more/less than required. Then, you just work the problem solving for V₂ to arrive at chosen C₃.

For instance, I have an 8L total capacity (V₃) and I measured EACH drain.... 1.725L (V₂) and 1.675L (V₂). Using 1.7L every time would work fine. I made measurements to the nearest 1 ml and calculations to a dozen decimal places throughout, until the end where I rounded to the hundredths. I am confident that my math is correct to 4 significant digits, and I will match my +/- 0.5% concentration variance against any coolant sensor/tool on the market. :)

Procedure: To 100% de-ionized water, add 2L 100% concentrate to combined 8L total volume = 25% Concentration
Mixed (by engine) 15 minutes at temp, drained 1.725L of 25%, and added back 1.725L 100% concentrate = approx. 41.17% Concentration
Mixed (by engine) 15 minutes at temp, drained 1.675L of 41.17%%, and added back 1.675L 100% concentrate = approx. 53.49 : 46.51 (+/- 0.5) coolant: de-ionized water.

Vids and pics below.... peruse at your leisure.

Flush & drain until almost clear with de-ionized water (about 7 gallons total). Add second flush/clean product. Run for 30 minutes @ idle, 10 minutes @ 2750 RPM, x 3 reps. Flush & drain until almost clear with de-ionized water (about 7 gallons total).

This is what came out as the last gallon pumped out. Not too bad for an engine dyed with orange coolant for 100k+ miles.
20230204_180007[1].jpg

This is pure de-ionized water.
20230204_180237[1].jpg

LEFT: Field Expedient "Idle Speed Set Tool" ;)
RIGHT: "Calibrated" 2750 rpm, which is an estimated highway cruising engine speed.
20230204_171135[1].jpg2023-02-04 17.11.45.jpg

Short video showing how I chose to do the lion's share of draining and flushing...

Short video of me talking and showing a bit... (Yes, my drawl is a bit out of control of late.)

Hope this helps someone, somewhere. I'm putting it here so I will have it formatted for my FB page after I get out of the hoosegow.... again.

Be well!

PS - Thank you W. J. Harlan for teaching me this on day 1 of Algebra 1 (P) in 1977. See you at the Grand Reunion.

Like Joshua, but 50 or so miles east, dealing with the ice storm. Three days without power, but saved by two critical tools...

View attachment 561360View attachment 561362

We were cold, but not real bad, and we didn't lose any food.
I'd take this past storm over snowvid, a couple years ago, any day. That was a week+ w/only power a couple hours a day, temp was like 8F outside. Food was getting short. They almost had to depressurize the entire gas distribution network in our neighborhood because the gas trucks couldn't get in. My family all slept in the master bedroom closet to keep warm. Was kinda fun tho, like forced camping ;)

Booked a little getaway to Belize later in the year to get beach time, Mayan ruins and snorkeling. Haven't been out of the country since we went to Costa Rica in 2018. Very much looking forward to it. I've got 51 days of PTO this year, so I'm going to try to use some of it.

This weekend took a break from rocket design, building, launching (it is windy in NNJ) to take the kids skiing / snowboarding. Saw these gems of lawn-art in the Catskills, NY on the way to the slopes.

1675607041320.jpeg1675607060324.jpeg
1675607068072.jpeg1675607071850.jpeg
1675607075770.jpeg1675607087533.jpeg
1675607161467.jpeg1675607177791.jpeg

Also my 8 yo's rental snowboard design is speaking to me!
1675607212507.jpeg

This is the company who's lawn I was standing on to take these pictures: https://www.fabulousfurnitureon28.com/

This weekend took a break from rocket design, building, launching (it is windy in NNJ) to take the kids skiing / snowboarding. Saw these gems of lawn-art in the Catskills, NY on the way to the slopes.

View attachment 561389View attachment 561390
View attachment 561391View attachment 561392
View attachment 561393View attachment 561394
View attachment 561395View attachment 561396

Also my 8 yo's rental snowboard design is speaking to me!
View attachment 561397

This is the company who's lawn I was standing on to take these pictures: https://www.fabulousfurnitureon28.com/
Very cool. Who else read lawn-dart vs lawn-art the first time through? LOL

that looks like one fantastic rocket launching field back there

That view is standing in my front yard looking across the fields. It's a mile to the white house you can see above her head. There are a couple of good sized ponds in the middle, but I got a 6k’ COA. Big enough for low flying L2 rockets.

Here it is with a real plane flying over:

e duster 1.jpg

e duster 2.jpg

I can’t afford much HPR, and it’s just not as much fun to fly alone, so I don’t use it much for that. The owner’s children (a little younger than me) just built houses here. So, I have to re-evaluate the safe distances and make sure that the two of them are also okay with my flying out there. I might have to move the launch site farther across the field.

But LPR/MPR can launch from my front yard most of the time, depending on the wind. I’m 100% surrounded by fields and pasture! That was a factor in moving here.

That view is standing in my front yard looking across the fields. It's a mile to the white house you can see above her head. There are a couple of good sized ponds in the middle, but I got a 6k’ COA. Big enough for low flying L2 rockets.

Here it is with a real plane flying over:

View attachment 561486

View attachment 561487

I can’t afford much HPR, and it’s just not as much fun to fly alone, so I don’t use it much for that. The owner’s children (a little younger than me) just built houses here. So, I have to re-evaluate the safe distances and make sure that the two of them are also okay with my flying out there. I might have to move the launch site farther across the field.

But LPR/MPR can launch from my front yard most of the time, depending on the wind. I’m 100% surrounded by fields and pasture! That was a factor in moving here.
We have a crop duster next to our launch site so we get the Pfister Airshow during spray season.

I could watch them all day!
Zach, the pilot flies rockets with us from time to time, and his Dad helped us get the farmers permission to use the field. He's awesome and knows we shut down when we see him coming or going usually he flies right by the flight line at 100' alltitude, its a fan favorite, the kids think its like Dusty Crophopper.

Zach, the pilot flies rockets with us from time to time, and his Dad helped us get the farmers permission to use the field. He's awesome and knows we shut down when we see him coming or going usually he flies right by the flight line at 100' alltitude, its a fan favorite, the kids think its like Dusty Crophopper.

How cool!

Helped Oliver build his wooden puzzle Airship.... talk about an effort in futility.... wow. rockets any day compared to getting my fingers to work on these. Add his,and mine, ADHD frustration when things don't go easily.
20230205_153953.jpg
20230205_154000.jpg
20230205_174411.jpg
20230205_174457.jpg

(Only had to glue 2 cracked pieces.) Every thing assembly wise is friction fit.

Reassembled the front end of the 2014 Fusion (chin pan, radiator support, etc.). Left the engine belly pan off while I await yet even more NEW hardware that the techs have lost or stripped out over the years. I swear, the next time I see a tech run a fastener in on a plastic nut with a motorized tool, I'm gonna hail forth and teach the man a danged class right there on the spot on selecting the proper tools for the task.

I replaced 10 plastic nuts, 4 steel cinch nuts, 10 T-30 Torx screws and STILL need about 20 more of each....

Techs had taken to STEALING hardware from OTHER places to replace hardware they lost to keep all the belly pans under the car long enough to get us out of the garage. <friggin' fraggin', snickle-frob, finkstein techs>

NOW, ALL the hardware underneath will be T-30 Torx or 7mm. I eliminated EIGHT plastic push clips/pins unwisely installed at the factory in favor of proper screws and nuts.

71+BYE31--L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back