What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched season 3 E4, E5 of "Have Gun--Will Travel." Vaguely remembered it from my childhood. Richard Boone is Paladin, a wealthy and sorta-ethical gunfighter for hire. A 30-minute show doesn't give much time for character development, and sometimes it ends a bit awkwardly, but for a late 50s/early 60s show it's pretty decent. Worth mention: several episodes were written by Gene Roddenberry or Gene Coon.

I'll take my walk in a couple hours. We have about a half-inch of sleet from yesterday but the sun is out, and even with temps below freezing the roads are clearing slowly. I prefer to walk on the streets in a nearby subdivision but right now it's too darn slippery.
Central Texas is a death trap right now (ice), esp when u couple that w/drivers who rarely get ice time. They scare me more than the ice

Central Texas is a death trap right now (ice), esp when u couple that w/drivers who rarely get ice time. They scare me more than the ice
This tree won't come down, but some behind it already have. It's a lot worse north of me tho. My brother lost every tree in his back yard in the span of 30 mins

Attachments

• signal-2023-02-01-09-10-48-746.jpg
    signal-2023-02-01-09-10-48-746.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 0

cmon its not just ice, you get a light mist and all hell breaks loose. Lived off 34th and West for 12 yrs, grew up in nw hills ended up in cedar par.... siiiiiiggghhhhh, north austin.....for the last 14. When i moved to cp it was 61k, its gonna be pushing 200k (not reeaally including leander) by years end... in FOURTEEN years. Too many ppl, fer me at least. At least I had a REALLY good insurance agent.... moving to austin? yer gonna need it.

/cynicalrant

just talked to my mom, losing lots of live oak branches, but nobody has a new skylight yet...for now

Last edited:
Maple prep. Washed out my big sap storage tank and it's set for collection. Also washed my two barrels for concentrated sap from the reverse osmosis and two barrels for my remote trees (collection and transport). Then put spout adapters on all the lines for each tree in my woods so tapping day, whenever that is, goes faster.

Hands are getting used to being gloveless outside now (takes a little while each maple season to get used to it). Handing steel tools to put on the adapters can make them cold but after a but it plateaus. Keep the core warm and the hands are fine. Kinda warm today though, 24F.

Maple prep. Washed out my big sap storage tank and it's set for collection. Also washed my two barrels for concentrated sap from the reverse osmosis and two barrels for my remote trees (collection and transport). Then put spout adapters on all the lines for each tree in my woods so tapping day, whenever that is, goes faster.

Hands are getting used to being gloveless outside now (takes a little while each maple season to get used to it). Handing steel tools to put on the adapters can make them cold but after a but it plateaus. Keep the core warm and the hands are fine. Kinda warm today though, 24F.

A couple questions:
  • What do you use to wash out the sap tank? Is it a matter of getting all the old sap off, or just getting any contaminates off? We live in a pine forest... and I've got a separate pair of gloves and a separate coat that I use just for dealing with downed branches, because getting the sap off is nearly impossible.
  • Do you have issues with the skin on your hands cracking from being out in the cold? Each year I seem to have more issues with that. Just wondering if you are using some kind of hand treatment, like "Working Hands"?

I boxed up my Audio Quest dragonfly USB amp as it has developed a short and won't make a good connection on the headphone jack side of it, so I'm going to give it back to my son who gave it to me, and he's going to see if he can contact the company rep to see if we can send it back in to get it fixed as expensive as it is.

I went to a new dentist for a cleaning. I had my last dentist for 20 years so I'm apprehensive about a new one. They really got off on the wrong foot. Sat in the waiting room for 40 minutes past my appointment time. When they finally took me back I got X-Rays and then sat for 20 minutes before the Doc came in. I told him I was looking for a new dentist and had been with the last one for 20 years and then asked him if being this late was common or not. He apologized for being late. When he was done he gave me a teeth whitening kit worth at least $200. and apologized again. I'll go back in 6 months and give them another chance. My last dentist and I became friends. We go shooting together. I watched his kids grow up. I'm friends with the oldest son. I never waited more than 15 minutes to be seen in 20 years. After the dentist it was over to Home Depot for some paint. Then to Walmart for some printer ink and a few groceries. An of course played with the kitten/cats. My wife was looking at cat info and told me the cats at 8 months are teenagers. Great. First the terrible twos and now teenage monsters.

A couple questions:
  • What do you use to wash out the sap tank? Is it a matter of getting all the old sap off, or just getting any contaminates off? We live in a pine forest... and I've got a separate pair of gloves and a separate coat that I use just for dealing with downed branches, because getting the sap off is nearly impossible.
  • Do you have issues with the skin on your hands cracking from being out in the cold? Each year I seem to have more issues with that. Just wondering if you are using some kind of hand treatment, like "Working Hands"?

Maple sap is like water with just 2% sugar. Not tough to clean, but nasties like to grow in that kind of environment. Cleans up easy. I simply scrub with bleach. After the season it gets scrubbed, then sprayed with Star San and not rinsed. Stays spotless over the rest of the year. Now before the season, it's a quick scrub and rinse and it's ready to go.

As for the hands, they don't crack too bad, but working hands is on the nightstand for bad days. My hands can take a lot of abuse and be fine. Probably a bit genetic, but maybe some farmer remains. 😃

Maple sap is like water with just 2% sugar. Not tough to clean, but nasties like to grow in that kind of environment. Cleans up easy. I simply scrub with bleach. After the season it gets scrubbed, then sprayed with Star San and not rinsed. Stays spotless over the rest of the year. Now before the season, it's a quick scrub and rinse and it's ready to go.

As for the hands, they don't crack too bad, but working hands is on the nightstand for bad days. My hands can take a lot of abuse and be fine. Probably a bit genetic, but maybe some farmer remains. 😃
Sage advice. I remember Dad talking about his hands cracking too.

Woke at 2am, went to computer, laughed at two videos of comedienne Rita Rudner on Cracked.com (scroll down to find them). If you've not listened to her before, be sure to watch the videos before you read the jokes on the site. They're much better if read in her voice. She had a video titled "Born to be Mild" which should give you an idea of her delivery.

Today my wife and I are getting Covid boosters. Then Home Depot to look at concrete stain. The sidewalk is looking a little worn. Feed the birds outside and played with the cats.

Found and fixed some silly mistakes in a few drawings, fortunately before they went out to the client. Stuff like accidentally not including an opening in the handrail for a ladderway. In related news, I hate designing stairs. There's one way to do it right and about 85 ways to screw it up. And if you get it right, it looks easy so you don't get credit for it!

My wife and I got our third Covid booster. We went to Home Depot for some adhesive, concrete stain and to look at blinds. I made the mistake of showing her the color pallet. So instead of buying it we brought home the color pamphlet to see how they looked next to the house. Seemed obvious to me which one was right. But she's the boss. Then we/she looked at blinds. They all looked the same to me. But no, they weren't. I got a lesson on blinds. Who knew.

Also, we drove about 15 miles over to another city that has a business that sells used tires and it's the same place we got our last set, but the one tire started to show problems and we stopped by one place and they could not believe that the tire had a date code of the year 2000 on it, so we were driving around with 23-year-old tires. Not being able to have any other options affordable on Social Security income, we went back to the same guy and got four tires that looked almost new which were Firestone brand, and had a date code of 2021 on them. So that will last the rest of my life, as we don't put very many miles on a car.

Ran errands this morning. Had to get my tag renewed, then off to the Dr. office, then get my license updated with my current address. Dropped by the Kroger pharmacy and it was closed for another 20 minutes, so did a bit of grocery shopping then picked up the scripts. Got home, then drove my BIL to Cartersville, GA to look at some Crown Vics (Police Interceptor models) to replace his that died Wednesday with a bum transmission. He didn't like a single one of the cars we drove 2 hours to see, so we stopped by Whataburger in Woodstock on the way back and bought him a Double Whataburger, me a Patty Melt and SWMBO a Whatachicken. I spoiled myself with a Dr. Pepper Shake for my birthday (tomorrow, turn 60) and am now going to take some Lyumjev to cover the bG spike.

Went to a sit-down restaurant for dinner, which we do maybe once every other month. Since our last visit three or four years ago they moved inside the city limits, and it apparently helped their business as they were packed! I had fried catfish, onion rings that were wonderfully crispy, coleslaw, and unlimited hush puppies and white beans. She Who Must Be Obeyed had a chicken salad sandwich and tater tots. Elder offspring had fried shrimp and the unlimited stuff.

After a small bowl of beans and five or six hush puppies I could only eat one piece of the catfish and a few onion rings. Brought home lots of leftovers. Gal at the register rang it up as $25. I told her "that can't be right! It's gotta be more than that!" She found the error. Still, three delicious dinners for $37 was a bargain.

Following on from my previous comment about having Thai for dinner six nights in a row and then breaking the cycle with sausages and salad, we caught up with some friends for dinner last night. You guessed it. They booked Thai. That's 7 out of 8.

We were sitting at the restaurant and a Google notification came through that I was in the top ten percent of people for reviewing Thai restaurants 😂 . Hilarious! You can't make this stuff up.

Back