What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got our new headboard stained. Poly will go on next week.

IMG_20230128_093011691.jpg

My son and I also split and stacked a bunch of firewood. Took larger chunks drying for a few years down to small pieces ideal for the maple syrup evaporator and anything that would have been a pain to split went to the row of wood for the shop woodstove. Got that all done before the snow really started to come down. 6-10" total on the way with what's falling now.

Also did some cleaning and elimination of stuff no longer needed in the house...which ended up rocket related by freeing up some things to store rocket parts in.

Yes, yes.... forgot. The Au:Ag ratio has been so out of sight for so long, I almost forgot.

OR, if the Au:Ag ratio gets low enough and you swap silver for gold to save volume. :)

Thank you! :)
A buddy of mine always said...buy silver when its cheap...sell when its higher and buy gold (as long as its reasonable).

Went to a nursery for lunch (it is ironic that my wife is a nurse). Nice food and prosecco. We also looked at plants for our garden in the new house, for when it eventually gets built. Council requires a garden plan up-front, for planning approval :( . I have a friend, who is a landscaper, coming around Tuesday night to discuss and sketch up a plan. Hopefully they are satisfied with that.

Came home and mowed the lawn and tidied the workshop. I have a couple of our interns coming over after work tomorrow to see what it is like to machine some parts up on the lathe and mill. Broadening their horizons further than their purely electronics background. At the end of this week I lose the intern I have had for a year, and gain another for the next year. It is good seeing them come in green and transition to being a valuable team member during their stay with us.

Repaired a calculator for my wife. Completed repairing the DVD remote control for my sister. Also just finalising a laptop to send her as hers is too old to run Win10, and she needs an update. She can have one of my hand-me-downs.

Sitting back with the cats and enjoying a GnT now :) .

A buddy of mine always said...buy silver when its cheap...sell when its higher and buy gold (as long as its reasonable).
Not a bad plan.
Best to do it regardless of price.... Just use the ratio. When Au is more than about 45 times price of Ag, buy Ag.... When it drops below 45, start looking for deals on a gold swap (low premium). When ration drops near 30:1.... swap it all as long as the premium is reasonable.

If you always trade on the ratio, price does not matter. :)

started out the day going in and turning the computer on only to find that had no sound coming out of the stereo so I did battle with that for an hour finally figuring out that there was something they got switched around and the computer only thinks it's got one monitor instead of two monitors and the HDMI cable coming out of the back of the computer goes directly over to the stereo so it thought it was like number three monitor it's real goofy I've never been able to straighten out the monitors like the computer sees them. but I've got my wife getting ready to order a dvi-d adapter that will go to a HDMI female and hopefully that will create a new configuration in the PC. So everything is so complex nowadays which leads to a new level of confusion, frustration, and depression on my part. it's easy when you have the knowledge and a living hell when you don't have the knowledge

Application of fire, more PB Laster, and torque from a 4-foot-long breaker bar did the trick. Opened it up, no apparent clogs. Ran the snake up and down, nothing. Fiddled with some other parts, no apparent clogs cleared. Put it all together again, seems to drain fine.

So it's a success, but a slightly unsatisfying one where I don't know what I did to fix it. 😐
Any one that you walk away from.....

Jim

got out of the house for the first time in 2 weeks since the wife contracted covid and we took the car to advance to have the battery checked since the voltage got down to 11.4 volts from when the alternator went bad 3 weeks ago. sure enough there was one damaged cell so that meant that one of the 3.2 volt cells was bad or putting it otherwise, one quarter of the battery was bad, so we had one day left on the 2-year warranty.

Created a "paint booth" inside since it is raining and exterior humidity is very high.
As long as you keep the work-piece at or deeper than half-way, all the paint products stay INSIDE the "booth", and only a little of the VOC smell escapes.

XYL is working on some advanced water slide techniques to label ownership and put a message inside the lid on each box. (Inkjet printing, sealing and clear and white backgrounds to images.

Humidity inside hovering around 36% and 70 degrees... pretty much perfect. Just need to add the shop vac to the back center to draw near 100% the fumes out into the garage/outside.

2023-01-29 12.58.36.jpg

Boxes have been pre-stained and stained. Waiting the minimum 4 hours before adding 3 coats of clear acrylic, water slides, and finally 3 more coats of clear. Insides get 3 coats clear, black chalk paint, 3 coats clear, reversed water slide with white background, 3 coats of clear.
Then, 1/8" felt pads w/ PSA lining exterior bottom and interior bottom. Replace the hinges and let cure for a 4-7 days.

Last edited:
Are they as noisy inside as I imagine they are?
If you mean, is it loud sitting a foot away from a jet engine? Yes. It's well insulated, you wear tight fitting foam earphones with a helmet over that, and talk to one another over a hardwired intercom, and you still can't hear much of anything other than the whine of the turbine. Of course, people with normal hearing almost certainly do better than me, but I could barely tell when anyone was talking on the intercom let alone understand what was said.

So yeah, it's loud. :)

Pulled out my Princo Model 453X Fortin Barometer from the wooden storage container to make sure
everything is ok and to install a fresh bag around it. After filming I inserted a section of paper under the thumbscrews
to prevent scratches on the mercury reservoir

Attachments

• no scratches.jpg
    no scratches.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pulled out my Princo Model 453X Fortin Barometer from the wooden storage container to make sure
everything is ok and to install a fresh bag around it. After filming I inserted a section of paper under the thumbscrews
to prevent scratches on the mercury reservoir

WOW, what an instrument.

that will measure 3 places to the right of the decimal in inches of mercury or millimeters of mercury.
The reason there is a thermometer attached to the Fortin Barometer is the ambient temperature is included
in the pressure reading to allow for a more accurate reading of pressure

I also have a Marine Microbarograph, a land based Microbarograph, and a Aneroid Barometer.
The 2 Microbarographs record the air pressure on a graph attached to a rotating drum.
In the Aneroid Barometer Photo the funny looking brackets are use to hold minimum and maximum
thermometers in a wooden weather shelter. The brackets are called Townsend Thermometer Supports. Attached is a photo
showing the Townsend Support in use

Attachments

• aneroid barometer.jpg
    aneroid barometer.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • MY 2.jpg
    MY 2.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 0
  • townsend support in use.jpg
    townsend support in use.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
that will measure 3 places to the right of the decimal in inches of mercury or millimeters of mercury.
The reason there is a thermometer attached to the Fortin Barometer is the ambient temperature is included
in the pressure reading to allow for a more accurate reading of pressure

I also have a Marine Microbarograph, a land based Microbarograph, and a Aneroid Barometer.
The 2 Microbarographs record the air pressure on a graph attached to a rotating drum.
In the Aneroid Barometer Photo the funny looking brackets are use to hold minimum and maximum
thermometers in a wooden weather shelter. The brackets are called Townsend Thermometer Supports. Attached is a photo
showing the Townsend Support in use
I've got some old met equipment.
Recording temp/humidity meter
t-h1.jpg

The temp is measured by a bi-metalic spring, the humidity is measured by a bundle of horse hair
t-h2.jpg

An "altitude" barometer. It reads in both inches of Hg and feet.
baro.jpg

Back