What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to be like everyone else and go to the clinic this morning too. What was a lingering non-productive cough took a turn with expiratory wheezing and some ronchi (picture the sound kids make blowing bubbles in milk through a straw as air works its way through different sections of your lungs). Fortunately no covid or flu, but I wish the results from a chest xray had been posted to my chart by now.

What's interesting that my body isn't showing any other signs of infection. I feel fine, vitals are all good my temp was 98 degrees. No muscle aches. If it weren't for coughing spells hard enough for a vaggal response and all the fun sounds, I feel good enough to do anything.

I decided to be like everyone else and go to the clinic this morning too. What was a lingering non-productive cough took a turn with expiratory wheezing and some ronchi (picture the sound kids make blowing bubbles in milk through a straw as air works its way through different sections of your lungs). Fortunately no covid or flu, but I wish the results from a chest xray had been posted to my chart by now.

What's interesting that my body isn't showing any other signs of infection. I feel fine, vitals are all good my temp was 98 degrees. No muscle aches. If it weren't for coughing spells hard enough for a vaggal response and all the fun sounds, I feel good enough to do anything.
That's me for the last few weeks, went to the clinic on Sunday. Steroids and expectorants, nothing surprising.

Late Xmas gift from younger daughter arrived: "Pioneer Girl", autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved the Little House books--still do, in fact---and one of the mini-series'; though didn't care much for the TV show. Pioneer Girl is more of a library-reference-type book, and describes differences between the Little House books and the reality, as well as filling in a huge amount of background on the people mentioned in the LH books. There's over twice as much material in footnotes and references as there is actual writing by LIW. Enjoying it very much.

Skin cancer diagnosis, the back of my right wrist. Surgery in six weeks time. 🤠

Australia. High UV. Outside worker. The usual.
I went to the dermatologist yesterday about an ugly looking black spot on my body that I hadn't seen before.

Luckily he said it was very common and extremely few ever become cancerous ("one in a million or so") and even when they do, it's not aggressive.

So no slicing this time and he complemented me on my "nice skin!" 😆

As a side note my father was born in Singapore, but was addicted to lake fishing after coming to the U.S. and would spend full days sitting out in the sun with a t-shirt.

At home wearing his tank top, my family could barely stifle our laughter from the sight of his long dark brown leathery "gloves" (extreme "farmer's tan").

He also never wore sunscreen. Surprisingly, he never got skin cancer, but instead passed away from lung cancer at 72 despite hardly ever smoking. Go figure.

Last edited:
Breathed a sigh of relief. Insurance covered 100% of my hospital stay, surgeons, etc. Only thing I haven't heard back on is the ambulance. We have high deductible insurance, which kinda sucks if you are always healthy and never have accidents (does not apply to our family), but when catastrophe strikes, it can't be beat. I still can't believe I didn't have to go through at least some argue/appeal cycles.

Breathed a sigh of relief. Insurance covered 100% of my hospital stay, surgeons, etc. Only thing I haven't heard back on is the ambulance. We have high deductible insurance, which kinda sucks if you are always healthy and never have accidents (does not apply to our family), but when catastrophe strikes, it can't be beat. I still can't believe I didn't have to go through at least some argue/appeal
We still have thousands of dollars from my initial diagnosis back in 2014 :mad:

Only thing I haven't heard back on is the ambulance.

Ambulance billing can be shocking, but they can only bill for the service level rendered , plus loaded milage. Assuming they gave you pain meds, it will be a base ALS1-E charge plus whatever they bill for miles. I'd expect around 2k for the Midwest. Each Medicare billing region has a slightly different fee structure which is what most companies charge even for self- insured pts. Hopefully insurance doesn't put up a fight because that turns into a nightmare.

Half the property inspected. Stopped for a coffee, ground with a mortar and pestle. And a whisky.

Four trees down, one across access Rd. Three mangoes completely trashed. Bulk steel chicken food container ripped apart by wind.

Off to check out the rest of the property after another whisky.

Power should be back on around 5pm, so a 22 hour outage. Two freezers of food probably lost.

Still, no-one hurt so it’s no biggie. The next sound you hear will be chainsaws. 🤠

Ambulance billing can be shocking, but they can only bill for the service level rendered , plus loaded milage. Assuming they gave you pain meds, it will be a base ALS1-E charge plus whatever they bill for miles. I'd expect around 2k for the Midwest. Each Medicare billing region has a slightly different fee structure which is what most companies charge even for self- insured pts. Hopefully insurance doesn't put up a fight because that turns into a nightmare.
Even if I end up having to pay it, worth every penny. That crew did an awesome job as I was not in an ideal spot to reach. Very skilled, kind and professional. They even took my bike along and arranged for hospital security to put it in a secure room until my wife could get it.

Also, my work benefits include a company that will do all the arguing and appeals for you if it comes to that. I've had to use them twice before for billing disputes and they won both times. I was anticipating a fight this time, so I already have all the forms in place with them and BCBS to allow them to represent me in disputes.

Half the property inspected. Stopped for a coffee, ground with a mortar and pestle. And a whisky.

Four trees down, one across access Rd. Three mangoes completely trashed. Bulk steel chicken food container ripped apart by wind.

Off to check out the rest of the property after another whisky.

Power should be back on around 5pm, so a 22 hour outage. Two freezers of food probably lost.

Still, no-one hurt so it’s no biggie. The next sound you hear will be chainsaws. 🤠
The local Walmart used to sell dry ice by the pound. Great for the fridge and freezer when the electrons quit moving. I suspect they stopped because of illicit usage involving 2L soda bottles... :rolleyes:

It certainly is warm, I’ll give you that.
I love to sit outside under my covered patio (only the part nearest the house is covered) and watch the rain, esp thunderstorms. The occasional scotch and maybe a cigar doesn't hurt either.

You should go outside, w/or w/o kids/grandkids around, and just jump in the puddles. Feels goofy at first, but can be quite refreshing for the soul ;)

Dropped a few trees and cut up others with my best girl helping. She was three when I joined the family, but she found her dad completely acceptable. Now older, partially blind and completely deaf she's hard work to keep safe on days like today, but she remembers the hand signals I taught her and steers clear most of the time.

I put on my work hat and she's there. All day, every day. Asks little in return and gives so much.

An older picture:

Poppi.JPG

She's my girl.

Anyhoo, lost four trees last night and took two down as they were potential widowmakers.

Having a rest now. Both of us.

I battled with the Plugable 3.0 USB hub which now has big time problems so I'm going to get a DVI- D adapter that will allow me to plug the HDMI into the back of the desktop computer and run that to the monitor, so that should eliminate the Plugable device. I'm sure looking forward to finishing all this cabling and set up of the computer as I have a real love-hate relationship of computers as they drive me crazy most of the time.

what brand of Scotch and what cigar is your favorite?
Well, when I'm buying, the Scotch is usually Glenfiddich or Glenlivet (less so lately) and I had a 12-yr Macallan that's now gone even tho it's in this picture :(. Looking at the photo, I guess I should have used the extended-family term of whiskey/whisky. Clearly I like Japanese whisky too ;) I tend not to drink those alone since they have been harder to find in recent years (esp and Covid has made drinking alone pretty popular lol). I don't turn anything down except maybe the super peaty stuff.

As for cigars, I don't have a lot of experience, so not a terribly refined palate. I often go to Canada a 1-2 times a year, so I will get some...err...cigars from another country, but haven't settled on a particular brand

Attachments

• PXL_20230126_133343090.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230126_133343090.MP.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I watched the evening news and got completely disgusted to the point of wanting to throw up on the ridiculous excuse we have for a judicial system. As they described the New York City ISIS terrorist who shot 28 people, killing five of them, and then ended up getting captured on the spot by police and he told them he wanted to be killed so he would become a martyr, so the ridiculous part of this is that he did this 5 years ago and they just now brought him to trial. what could be more wrong than this?

Stuff in refrigerator seemed warmer than it should be...and freezer was colder than it should be....

Unload everything into coolers outside. (It's currently 28°F) Tear into fridge... evaporator coil is "a little froze up"
20230126_192023.jpg

Now defrosting it, while looking for replacement PN for defrosting element.

I'm the GM in my RPG group, and I spent a bunch of time tonight writing and sending out beginner material for our upcoming Starfinder campaign.
That can be thankless work sometimes. I remember the first time a GM/DM gave us a printed scroll, like aged paper with a handwritten-looking font etc. I was impressed. Tho, nothing can make up for just being good at it ;)

Stuff in refrigerator seemed warmer than it should be...and freezer was colder than it should be....

Unload everything into coolers outside. (It's currently 28°F) Tear into fridge... evaporator coil is "a little froze up"
View attachment 559632

Now defrosting it, while looking for replacement PN for defrosting element.
no continuity across the defrosting element? usually it's the defrost timer.

Back