What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A day or two ago, I got an email from a shipyard project manager:
"It has just come to our attention that _______ signed a contract with us to build _______ back in late September. What's your earliest availability for a kickoff meeting?" [Names and projects redacted to protect the innocent and the guilty]

I'm guessing that they just signed the contract that was printed/dated in late September, not that the shipyard managers signed the contract and didn't bother telling the project managers that they'd signed a contract for two months.

Out in the rain collecting Blue Quandong (Elaeocarpus Grandis) fruit for propagation.

IMG_1915.JPG.

Good bush tucker

We get about an 80% germination rate with these, and in a year's time the seedlings sell for $15 a piece. I collected ~1200, so I'll do the maths another time. Right now I need a hot shower.

Shower over. $14,00 if we're lucky. That'll do, pig.

Last edited:
Well, it's the second year of no mango crop so we have to look at out other crops for income. Weather has trashed the mango flowers two years running.
I'm an idiot when it comes to agriculture, do they produce the small mango oranges I buy in small cups floating in some sweet syrup?

I'm an idiot when it comes to agriculture, do they produce the small mango oranges I buy in small cups floating in some sweet syrup?

Nope. A mango fruit is about 160 mm (6.3") long and 130 mm (5") wide with a large, stringy stone inside. They sell in season for ~$0.35 - $0.85 wholesale.

Attachments

• mango.jpg
    mango.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
So clearly "tucker" refers to food, as in "food from the bush". I wonder if there's an etymological relation to "tuck in" meaning to start eating.

3D printed some covers for the holes left from the stock mirror locations on my car.

Attachments

• 7294871A-A7E4-4CE8-8209-3FCE617E4C2C.jpeg
    7294871A-A7E4-4CE8-8209-3FCE617E4C2C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4EDB976B-78B7-4D28-B338-C04A1563F429.jpeg
    4EDB976B-78B7-4D28-B338-C04A1563F429.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 398B1C51-29C7-41F1-B0D1-6DC4C3C43058.jpeg
    398B1C51-29C7-41F1-B0D1-6DC4C3C43058.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
So clearly "tucker" refers to food, as in "food from the bush". I wonder if there's an etymological relation to "tuck in" meaning to start eating.

Tucker is food. Immortalised in Aussie legend by a poem.

'The inspiration for the statue has been traced to a doggerel poem, "Bullocky Bill", published anonymously by "Bowyang Yorke" in 1857. Other references state that the poem was published in 1880, in the Gundagai Times, but confirmation of either date is hard to find. The poem humorously describes a series of misfortunes faced by a bullock driver, culminating in his dog either sitting on or spoiling the food in his tucker-box - an Australian colloquialism for a box that holds food, similar to a lunchbox, but larger.[1][2][3]' - Wikipedia

Dog-on-the-tuckerbox-postcard.jpg

Bush tucker, literally food from the bush, is a huge culinary movement in Australia. With thousands of edible native plants we have a virtual food factory in this country. However, early Australian settlers sometimes starved in times of plentiful food because they chose not to cooperate with and learn from the indigenous people, preferring to massacre them instead.

I sold 30 hole saws to get some money and continue the liquidation of items I possess. Got about 15 things left to sell on the list.

Yesterday was a couple of hours at a gin festival. Great pizza too! Then off to Mexican (average) for dinner and then a comedy show for nurses. Not many non-nurses in the audience, but I got the jokes anyway :) .

Today was installing an aircon in 30+degC temperatures, and mulching some parts of a tree I am disposing of. Aircon and tree are unfinished. Need some tubing for the A/C which I'll get on Tuesday when it's in stock.

December. Where has this year gone?

Pulled the radio out of my new (2004) truck. Nissan Frontier, 9 years newer than my last DD and about a thousand time simpler. I'm just glad the engine is pointing the right direction and there's room around it to work!

CD player isn't reading, there's a lot of dust inside the vehicle. Quite a bit inside the radio chassis. Hopefully a cleaning will help. Laser lens is bound to be covered. Inside the radio is about 50% empty volume, some room for extra bits or pieces. I planned to remove it and install something else, but maybe I'll doodle around with this one for a while.

Oh yeah, and finish painting the kitchen.

flashover training at the fire department as part of a live burn. Pretty cool to see the flames going over your head. Low is safe and cool(er)

Pulled the radio out of my new (2004) truck. Nissan Frontier, 9 years newer than my last DD and about a thousand time simpler. I'm just glad the engine is pointing the right direction and there's room around it to work!

CD player isn't reading, there's a lot of dust inside the vehicle. Quite a bit inside the radio chassis. Hopefully a cleaning will help. Laser lens is bound to be covered. Inside the radio is about 50% empty volume, some room for extra bits or pieces. I planned to remove it and install something else, but maybe I'll doodle around with this one for a while.

Oh yeah, and finish painting the kitchen.
Time for a used aftermarket head unit?

Time for a used aftermarket head unit?

I'm not sure, man.

I'm really partial to analog volume controls, at the very least a rotary control is a requirement. Up/down buttons not allowed.
I don't know if any of my old head units are in decent working condition after being in storage for so long. Nakamichi TD-700 cassette deck, Alpine 7903 preamp CD/tuner, Alpine 590x slave CD with separate tuner- I think that's all I've got.

As far as used stuff out there, nothing in the last ~20 years fits the bill, except a couple from early on that are still out of my price range.

Thinking about, maybe, some sort of digital player and my Alphasonik EQ/preamp. It has volume and 2 switched inputs.

But I may be able to find an external input into this factory unit and tap a usable preamp out somewhere. I'll clean it good and see if the CD player comes around.

CD player isn't reading, there's a lot of dust inside the vehicle. Quite a bit inside the radio chassis. Hopefully a cleaning will help. Laser lens is bound to be covered.
That particular design feature, having the disks go in shiny side down and the laser facing up, is considered one of consumer electronic's greatest design failures over two or three decades. A few clever manufacturers (Panasonic comes to mind for my car CD player, back in the day) had the laser shining down, but the majority were like sheep and inflicted annoyance on their owners.

Back