What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
typical corporate BS, he got 2 new businesses turned around and making profit for them, then they tell him he isn't needed anymore.
My relationship with management at any place I work with has always been distrusting but mostly respectful. Lots of failing up but you can find good souls without too much trouble. My relationship with corporate has always been openly hostile. I can never tell if that environment produces sociopaths or if it just attracts them, but either way it’s full of them.

How are you feeling?
Slight sniffles.. no worse than a mild cold. I think I had a slight fever yesterday, with some chills. that is all. I only tested myself, 'cuze that's what you're supposed to do now.. (No, I did it because it is expected of you, for yourself, and mainly for others. I have since contacted a few co-workers to have them test themselves)

So, now I am stuck working from home, the wife & I wearing masks in the house, and she kinda treating me a like a leper..

Our daughter just called, thinks her husband is having a stroke, cannot talk right, his birthday was Saturday, turned 41, just got let go from his management position on Friday.:(
It sounds like your daughter identified his symptoms quickly and got him to treatment. Best wishes for a full and rapid recovery. And I agree that corporate sucks.

huge girth o_O what are going to use for a stand? , oh....check for squirrels
And owls.

Our daughter just called, thinks her husband is having a stroke, cannot talk right, his birthday was Saturday, turned 41, just got let go from his management position on Friday.:(
I sure hope you were her second call, after 911. I hope he come through it OK, stroke or otherwise.

typical corporate BS, he got 2 new businesses turned around and making profit for them, then they tell him he isn't needed anymore.
I had a friend who specialized is turn-arounds like that. He knew he was always working his way out of a job, and knew when to start finding the next one. He could have formed a consulting company but preferred to be hired directly in some sort, any sort of executive on the financial side of the business. The title didn't matter as long as the pay was right, everyone knew what he was really there to do and he was given the power to do it.

He taught me a good trick that I've needed a small number of times but he used a lot. Usually in his first meeting with the managers there would be finger pointing. As soon as that started he'd say "It's my fault. Move on." Of course it couldn't possibly be his fault and everyone knew it, but this successfully signaled the that the "who's fault is it" discussion was OVER.

I sure hope you were her second call, after 911. I hope he come through it OK, stroke or otherwise.
thanks, he did have a stroke in the top part of his brain. Clot showed up but too late to start on the special drug, and too far in for the wire. Neuro doctor said he's going to see if there's another work around for another medicine. They said the whole hospital is filled upstairs and it may be awhile for a room.

Cleaning garage while cooking dungenous crab. Big pot in driveway boiling away to cook 30 crab.
the garage to put my rocket table since I am being kicked out of the house.
Mrs after 7 years in our new home has purchased living room and formal dining room (my former rocket building place) furniture.

Cleaning garage while cooking dungenous crab. Big pot in driveway boiling away to cook 30 crab.
the garage to put my rocket table since I am being kicked out of the house.
Mrs after 7 years in our new home has purchased living room and formal dining room (my former rocket building place) furniture.
So negotiate space or car parking her choice.....

In our house I gave up my 24'x36' when we bought the current home, so she lost the garage...and I still lost as its not big enough at 24'x24'.

So negotiate space or car parking her choice.....

In our house I gave up my 24'x36' when we bought the current home, so she lost the garage...and I still lost as its not big enough at 24'x24'.
I need to clean out for my space. The car in the garage is my Mercedes E350. Her car and my DD sit outside.
Its’s supposed to be a two car garage, and you can get two cars into it provided you are willing to exit the autos via the Sun roof!

We got home from five days away to find water leaking from the base of the little water tube that feeds the ice maker in the fridge. The leak was right at the vampire tap and valve as the flexible tube exits, so the water stopped when the valve was turned off. The tap is in the joists between the main level floor and the finished walk-out basement ceiling, so the lower level is pretty well trashed and enough water sprayed up to damage the wood floors in and next to the kitchen.

So, as big a pain in the ass as this is, in the end insurance will pay for some improvements that we've wanted to make anyway, like a proper tile floor in the kitchen.

Landed in the balmy, sunny, and 14F paradise that is Anchorage this afternoon, and immediately upon parking, the pilots came back to tell me that we had a problem... Turns out that my bird's #2 hydraulic system decided to loose all of its fluid on our landing roll out. After getting outside and starting my walk around, hydraulic fluid was found streaming from the right wing trialing edge, and after we lowered the flaps, we found one of the spoiler actuators had a nice size crack in it.

IMG_0044.jpeg

Luckily we had a spare actuator in Anchorage, and we were able to get it changed out in a few hours... Glad it didn't happen in the air, and also kind of miffed that it couldn't have failed at our origin airport: Miami!

We got home from five days away to find water leaking from the base of the little water tube that feeds the ice maker in the fridge. The leak was right at the vampire tap and valve as the flexible tube exits, so the water stopped when the valve was turned off. The tap is in the joists between the main level floor and the finished walk-out basement ceiling, so the lower level is pretty well trashed and enough water sprayed up to damage the wood floors in and next to the kitchen.

So, as big a pain in the ass as this is, in the end insurance will pay for some improvements that we've wanted to make anyway, like a proper tile floor in the kitchen.
We had the very same thing happen in our first house. Only the water didn't shut off. When I got home the entire 1200 Sq Ft house was about 2" deep. Insurance covered every thing. Minus our deductible. New floors, new carpet, new drywall. They put blowers in to help dry everything out. Took all the floors out down to the slab. Place was a mess for a week.

my daughter said her husband has spoken very little since the stroke yesterday. They have a white board for him to write on, and one of his answers was (4) zeros in a row. :( they did get out of him that his left arm and hand was numb the day before, but he didn't tell anyone. Darned macho male ego.:mad:

Landed in the balmy, sunny, and 14F paradise that is Anchorage this afternoon, and immediately upon parking, the pilots came back to tell me that we had a problem... Turns out that my bird's #2 hydraulic system decided to loose all of its fluid on our landing roll out. After getting outside and starting my walk around, hydraulic fluid was found streaming from the right wing trialing edge, and after we lowered the flaps, we found one of the spoiler actuators had a nice size crack in it.
Luckily we had a spare actuator in Anchorage, and we were able to get it changed out in a few hours... Glad it didn't happen in the air, and also kind of miffed that it couldn't have failed at our origin airport: Miami!

Every time I see a pilot inspect an aircraft before takeoff I am so grateful for the training and dedication that goes into that job. Seriously, I was scared of flying until I saw a pilot inspect a light aircraft (in front of me). I then asked him if I could fly with him because he was 'so thorough'. He said, "We all do it, mate. It's what we do."

Every time I see a pilot inspect an aircraft before takeoff I am so grateful for the training and dedication that goes into that job. Seriously, I was scared of flying until I saw a pilot inspect a light aircraft (in front of me). I then asked him if I could fly with him because he was 'so thorough'. He said, "We all do it, mate. It's what we do."
I have had many of our pilots say similar things to me. I am not a pilot, but I am a ride on mechanic, basically I am the flying crew chief for my airplane. Once a day I spend about 90 minutes doing a detailed walk around inspection of my bird, opening up various access panels on the engines, checking oil levels, IDG oil levels, hydraulic fluids, doing wear inspections on all 16 tires and brakes, and more, before the flight crews arrive. I cannot tell you how many times I have had pilots come on board the airplane and basically say something along the lines of what you said, but about how they are glad that I am there, basically looking over everything for them. And then we also have some pilots who are the stereotypical pilots, who think that their S don’t stink, and basically scoff at us when we try to give them our preflight briefing on the status of the bird. Luckily the latter are few and far between. But it always feels good when a pilot walks up and thanks me for the work I’ve done on the plane when I’ve been living on my plane for up to 14 days at a time, working in various weather conditions (like today in ANC when it was windy and 14 degrees outside, or when it’s driving rain) while they are at their warm hotel sleeping in a bed. It’s a job that I chose, but it’s a job that I love!

Last edited:

View attachment 548055

Water, hydraulic fluid; has anyone got a gas leak?

Ordered a bunch of snow gear for the family trip to Whistler. Kids have never seen more than a couple inches of snow, so this should be entertaining.

my daughter said her husband has spoken very little since the stroke yesterday. They have a white board for him to write on, and one of his answers was (4) zeros in a row. :( they did get out of him that his left arm and hand was numb the day before, but he didn't tell anyone. Darned macho male ego.:mad:
Writing is likely to be extremely challenging to tackle at this point. A stroke can damage the ability to feel, see, and move in the finely controlled manner needed to write legibly. Cognition may be affected too.

Some of my clients (all autistic youth and young adults) are unable to speak or are only just starting to learn, but they can choose between options provided for them on a whiteboard pretty easily. Reading the options aloud while pointing to them, then providing a bit of support at the forearm or wrist to steady their aim, helps them indicate what they want with a degree of reliability.

Far be it for me to give you clinical advice, but if you want to borrow that from my bag of tricks, you’re welcome to it.

Ordered a bunch of snow gear for the family trip to Whistler. Kids have never seen more than a couple inches of snow, so this should be entertaining.
Say "Hi" to Whistler for me. I did some skiing there back in '91. Also did six weeks at Blackcombe in a ski instructor course (and four weeks skiing a different mountain each day in Alberta, British Columbia and Washington State). Nice part of the world. Back then Blackcombe was the better mountain. Not sure now. 11km was the longest run, but it took some getting to. Up the Wizard lift, then the Solar Coaster lift, then ski to the back of the mountain and up Seventh Heaven lift, then ski down to the bottom of the glacier and grab the Glacier T-bar to the top. If you do that run just make sure you have enough speed when you get to the frozen lake to carry you across.

Most of all, ENJOY :cool:

Our pilots preflight the aircraft at the start of every shift, checking fluid levels, light bulbs, aircraft systems, etc... As med crew members before every flight, we always look fluids through sight glass, excess leaks (helicopters are leaky) and other visual inspections.

The mechanic team however is always on top of things. They have daily inspections and keep a tight schedule of when different parts time out and they do their best to get ahead of problems and work on things when the weather is poor to keep us in service as much as possible. What's incredible is our lead has worked with this ship since it was first placed in service. His knowledge of our machine is impressive his experience keeps us all safe and available for our mission.

SIL is still in the hospital from his stroke, last night the LH side of his face was swollen and his right ear was really red, so they did another scan and he has bleeding up there. They did a MRI of his heart and found a hole in his heart. :eek: He can say some short sentences, other times just can't get anything out. Going to be a long recovery and likely won't be able to work for a long time.

Back