What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the way to San Francisco for the week. I booked through the mandatory corporate traven agent, and the flights were listed as American Airlines, but turned out to be operated by Jet Blue.

I'm stuck on the tarmak, because of "maintenance issues" that they're trying to take care of "with paperwork". WTH?

And they have "no APU", which is the reason given that there's no AC while we sit here for an hour. (They'll turn the AC on once the main engines are started.) But that also means no backup generator while in flight. WTH? It's super stuffy in here, and getting on toward sweltering.

And there's a problem with a fuel transfer pump (between tanks) so we may not be able to make it to SFO without a refueling stop in Salt Lake City.

The audio for my seatback entertainment system isn't working. The flight attendant says several people are having the same problem, so they'll "try resetting it once we're in the air."

It took a while to type all this, and I think we're pulling back. So I've got to shut off now.

I've got the Jet Blues.

I'm on the way to San Francisco for the week. I booked through the mandatory corporate traven agent, and the flights were listed as American Airlines, but turned out to be operated by Jet Blue.

I'm stuck on the tarmak, because of "maintenance issues" that they're trying to take care of "with paperwork". WTH?

And they have "no APU", which is the reason given that there's no AC while we sit here for an hour. (They'll turn the AC on once the main engines are started.) But that also means no backup generator while in flight. WTH? It's super stuffy in here, and getting on toward sweltering.

And there's a problem with a fuel transfer pump (between tanks) so we may not be able to make it to SFO without a refueling stop in Salt Lake City.

The audio for my seatback entertainment system isn't working. The flight attendant says several people are having the same problem, so they'll "try resetting it once we're in the air."

It took a while to type all this, and I think we're pulling back. So I've got to shut off now.

I've got the Jet Blues.
Based on all that, I would not be surprised in the slightest if one of their jets ends up falling out of the sky. WTF?

I've got the Jet Blues.
Are you going to visit the Nike Missle site they have? Its pretty cool from the pictures I have seen.

I've got the Jet Blues.
Well, that was about 2:20 when I thought we were pushing back. We actually did at 2:30, and didn't take off until 2:50, which was thee hours late.

But, at least the AC is working, and it looks we won't be making that refueling stop. (I guess not running the APU saves fuel.)
Are you going to visit the Nike Missle site they have? Its pretty cool from the pictures I have seen.
I don't expect to have time for any sightseeing. I'll be working down in Hayward at the BART maintenance shops and test track, then going east through the mountains to visit a supplier's subsupplier; the supplier will be with me, as is appropriate.

met my buddy down at the garage that was with this condo for one last smoke session, but now that his condo is sold, it belongs to the new owner tomorrow.

12 days to the IM and counting. Did my last long run (17 mi @ 8:34/mi) and an easier effort mid-distance bike (70 mi @ 19 mph) over the weekend. Now into tapering, so shorter workouts with less punch until race day. I'd say I'm functionally recovered from the broken ribs and shoulder sprain, so other than the lost training volume, I appear to have gotten away with it. Been working to this for 2.5 years to get ready for this, and I'm absolutely champing at the bit to jump off that dock.

cut out a 3/4 x 3/4 inch square out of an old 1/8" steel bracket to use on my turntable project. I plugged it in only to find out the motor won't run 🤬 . audio forum thread on it says it most likely is the 50 year old capacitor. They say the motors last 2 lifetimes.

cut out a 3/4 x 3/4 inch square out of an old 1/8" steel bracket to use on my turntable project. I plugged it in only to find out the motor won't run 🤬 . audio forum thread on it says it most likely is the 50 year old capacitor. They say the motors last 2 lifetimes.

What kind of capacitor is it?

cylindrical 4 uf , 250 volt Bosch, made in 1972 run capacitor
on LH side
SJCOtVX.jpg

Last edited:
Had a new water softener installed. Our 3rd one in 17 years. The old one started leaking. The installation cost more than the softener. I've used these plumbers for years, so I know they didn't take advantage of me. One of the benefits of a small town. He liked my rocket collection. He is a licensed drone flyer and wants to come out to this months launch. He provides video to users on You Tube. He told me his camera can do video in 8K. I'm looking forward to see some launch video. He liked my gun collection too. He might want me to build one for him. We'll see.

Didn't you read the post? It is a BAD capacitor. . .

Thinking that should be an easy find. Aaaaaand there are tons of options on Amazon and other. Assuming you're not really concerned about being a faithful restoration and you just want it to make roundy-round motions, I imagine you'll get something quick and cheap - apparently ceiling fans use that size. A larger voltage rating isn't bad, so if you buy a 440V, it will be just fine.

Sandy.

Didn't you read the post? It is a BAD capacitor. . .

Thinking that should be an easy find. Aaaaaand there are tons of options on Amazon and other. Assuming you're not really concerned about being a faithful restoration and you just want it to make roundy-round motions, I imagine you'll get something quick and cheap - apparently ceiling fans use that size. A larger voltage rating isn't bad, so if you buy a 440V, it will be just fine.

Sandy.
funny, as a lot of them are called "ceiling fan" caps. I'm just going with one of the cylindrical models as I've looked all over and that 1972 Bosch capacitor is unobtanium.

funny, as a lot of them are called "ceiling fan" caps. I'm just going with one of the cylindrical models as I've looked all over and that 1972 Bosch capacitor is unobtanium.
They are technically known as "motor run capacitors". They phase-shift the current in one of the two windings in the motor, setting up a rotating magnetic field. Any close value should work (but try to get the original value, if you can), and as others upthread have commented higher voltage ratings are no problem. For example, if you found a 3.5uF it would be fine.

You can buy them from Digikey.
Go to www.digikey.com
Search for motor run capacitor
Go to the Film Capacitor subcategory
Select 4uF and "in stock"
See what you might want to purchase there. Note that some have terminals and some have wires. Choose appropriately.
1664877741906.png

They are technically known as "motor run capacitors". They phase-shift the current in one of the two windings in the motor, setting up a rotating magnetic field. Any close value should work (but try to get the original value, if you can), and as others upthread have commented higher voltage ratings are no problem. For example, if you found a 3.5uF it would be fine.

You can buy them from Digikey.
Go to www.digikey.com
Search for motor run capacitor
Go to the Film Capacitor subcategory
Select 4uF and "in stock"
See what you might want to purchase there. Note that some have terminals and some have wires. Choose appropriately.
View attachment 540405
I could not get that site to get anywhere near a four microfarad, it always started from the bottom or the top sizes list, many many pages to go through so I think I found one just on Amazon that I'll get:
https://www.amazon.com/MECCANIXITY-...sprefix=4uf+250v+run+capacitor,aps,287&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Well it is not going to do much good now to get the turntable motor going, as this morning a cable caught the tonearm that was laid on top of the desk and knocked it off on the floor, and it naturally landed on the plastic electrical socket and destroyed it and then when I removed the plastic socket it came right out as all five of the hair thin wires are all broken off of the terminals. And the only way to fix that would be to run all new wiring inside the tone arm. So that pretty much ruins the turntable. As it is now FUBAR 🥵 :mad: 🤬 I looked and the last one that sold on eBay went for $200 and it had serious cosmetic issues.

Well it is not going to do much good now to get the turntable motor going, as this morning a cable caught the tonearm that was laid on top of the desk and knocked it off on the floor, and it naturally landed on the plastic electrical socket and destroyed it and then when I removed the plastic socket it came right out as all five of the hair thin wires are all broken off of the terminals. And the only way to fix that would be to run all new wiring inside the tone arm. So that pretty much ruins the turntable. As it is now FUBAR 🥵 :mad: 🤬 I looked and the last one that sold on eBay went for $200 and it had serious cosmetic issues.
What is so hard about replacing the wire in the tone arm? There's fine gauge wire available. Can you post a picture of it?

discovered what appears to be tooth enamel loss issues. I was at the dentist about 6 weeks ago and it wasn't visible then. Now it's alarming:eek: I'll have to call first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:
nope, not usually, It just runs from the headshell down through the tone arm and then makes a 90° down through the bottom.
So, (1) you can pull the broken wires out of the tone arm, and (2) new wires could easily* be fed back in?

*for certain values of "easy"

It doesn't look like replacing the *wire* would be a problem. The catch I fear, it replacing the connectors. I haven't messed with a turntable in a long time, but I recall that mine has a connector on the end of the tone arm where the headshell attaches. Getting that connector off of the tone arm could be challanging, I'd have to see it.

Last edited:
"Easy" has a very - um - easy value if you use the old wire that you're removing to pull the new wire through.
Yup, if there's enough of the old wire to do that. Another way is to use a vacuum cleaner to draw a piece of string through, then use the string to pull the wire. I don't know if both ends of the tone arm are open.

Back