What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished a two year long project building a "not-rocket thing" (aka: boat). It's a 50" long radio control Vintage Marblehead ("Bewitched"), hull is mahogany, deck is yellow pine & some mahogany, mast is Spruce, and it has 17 lbs of lead ballast in the keel. I've been away from TRF for a while, what did I miss?

P9200015_r.jpg

P9200016_r.jpg

P9200017_r.jpg

P9200021.JPG

P9200022.JPG

I got the four feet installed under the turntable I'm restoring, but was depressed to find that the right hand side metal top hinge is missing, which is not going to be easy to fabricate for me. 🤬
I41h5Up.jpg

Last edited:
Converting cattle "protein tubs" into shelters for the feral cats. This way they can get used to them before they need them. They'll get a healthy level of "bedding straw" put in them when winter gets closer.

1664571788359.png1664571847778.png

Since I had the Dremel Tool out anyhow, I did a very light clean up on my Polecat Aerospace 5.5" Fat Boy's fin filets, afterwards... just enough so the hand sanding won't be too time consuming.

Another hike today. Somebody turned the Aspen tree dimmer switch up to high.

View attachment 539677View attachment 539678View attachment 539679
When we lived in Idaho the Aspens changing color meant that Elk season was coming up.

That boat is fantastic. Little brass [?] turnbuckles and the other parts. Wow.

What I did other than rocketry was go to Home Depot and buy a new water softener. Our old one that was put in 17 years ago when the house is built is leaking.

Last edited:
Spent the morning scouting duck hunting spots for tomorrows youth hunt with my father in law, only covered about 3 miles or so, which I think is outstanding for my FIL since he is 77. Came home from scouting, rigged up the decoys and got all the equipment ready for my oldest daughters first waterfowl hunt. She asked to do this 2 years ago, first it was Covid, then last years she broke her arm the week before waterfowl season started. Today we also bought her license to hunt...waited until the last minute just in case. Time to head off to bed so I can be up at 3am....

Mowing the lawns. Had about 2 sq meters remaining to complete and the battery ran out :( . Plugged battery into charger, no lights :(:(. Had a look and something internally has caused the fuse to blow. Now need to order a new charger, and charge the batteries using my bench power supply for now.:mad:

[edit] Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The charger is in warranty by 11 days. The universe usually doesn't work that way :) .

Last edited:
Spent the morning scouting duck hunting spots for tomorrows youth hunt with my father in law, only covered about 3 miles or so, which I think is outstanding for my FIL since he is 77. Came home from scouting, rigged up the decoys and got all the equipment ready for my oldest daughters first waterfowl hunt. She asked to do this 2 years ago, first it was Covid, then last years she broke her arm the week before waterfowl season started. Today we also bought her license to hunt...waited until the last minute just in case. Time to head off to bed so I can be up at 3am....
are you taking a Labrador retriever with you? A friend took this with his cellphone
L5ylwt7.jpg

That boat is fantastic. Little brass [?] turnbuckles and the other parts. Wow. ???

Thank you, there is a machinist in FL that made the brass parts for me, another fellow who made the sails, and I found someone to pour the lead ballast for me, so I definitely had some help. The brass came from this guy (http://modelyachtfittings.com/) and he does a fantastic job.

are you taking a Labrador retriever with you? A friend took this with his cellphone
L5ylwt7.jpg
No dog, for us today....no birds brought home either. She got shots, just no hits, mostly due to inexperience and inability to practice with live birds. There were a lot of birds flying, mostly Widgeon and Greenwing Teal, though there were also a bunch of Nallards too.

Attachments

• 20221001_070243.jpg
    20221001_070243.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_070315.jpg
    20221001_070315.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_070317.jpg
    20221001_070317.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Installed a new faucet in my kitchen. Probably save a pretty penny by not hiring a professional.

So that means I'm justified in using some of that savings to buy some rockets and a new altimeter...right?

Tried out army painter speed paint today. There is a bit of a learning curve but I'm pretty impressed so far. The biggest thing I've figured out is not to go over the same area too many times with the paint or it becomes more and more uniform, which you don't want.

45 minutes of work with three colors on top of white primer, still WIP.

20221001_160538.jpg

Our '69 Camaro's radiator sprang a leak 3 weeks ago... tried to get it repaired... core was rotten... found a replacement and it finally showed up yesterday.

So today I time traveled back to my youth and installed the radiator. These cars are so easy to work on.

Glad to have gotten that done because we had the first significant snowfall in the high-country last night...

Back