What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sprayed the gold metallic finish on the aluminum plinth of the Empire 598 turntable. I started the restoration back in 2012. I'm starting it up again to hopefully finish it by the end of the year.

Last edited:
I do run tubeless in the MTB. The slime helps with the inevitable slight leak rate and avoiding annoying punctures on the commute. I got a flat one morning and was cursing the Slime for not doing its job. It turned out I had five punctures and it had successfully sealed four of them, and slowed the fifth one down a bit.

Like you, I got a flat on a ride a couple months ago, and was cursing the sealant until I realized there were multiple punctures (at least 4 I found), and it sealed all but the one that was bad enough it made me write the tire off entirely. I too was lucky that it slowed the leaks down (so I could have a controlled stop) as I was decending well over 30 mph when I went through the broken bottle fragments...I had speckles of sealent down my back. I bunny hopped most of the glass, which saved the front tire at least. Fortunately, I carry an inner tube for such occasions, but boy that is a messy job along the road.

I went out with friends who bought us our meals at a Mexican restaurant, but everything was unbelievably over saturated with salt. They put too much salt in everything. :eek:

Making tons of dog barf. Actually, I'm doing "Spring Cleaning" a bit ... "early". I'm going through old documents, and shreading most. I've got a trash bag full of shreaded material so far. It's actually no good for recovery wadding because there's plastic in the mix (envelope windows). I'm hoping the shreader just overheated and will run again after it cools down. It's over ten years old, so it's done it's duty if I need to buy another one.

Continuing to fix the father in-law's oven. Got a new element and ended up calibrating the fan-forced thermostat. Had to machine up a tool to adjust the setting, made out of a brass water fitting barb.
Thermostat.jpg

Had a go at fixing a DRO on a lathe at work. Unfortunatley the power supply had a shorted turn in the transformer. Way too old to get a replacement transformer, so it will be a new DRO and scales. It has done a lot of work so a birthday present is probably warranted. It is an old Colchester-brand lathe.

Making tons of dog barf. Actually, I'm doing "Spring Cleaning" a bit ... "early". I'm going through old documents, and shreading most. I've got a trash bag full of shreaded material so far. It's actually no good for recovery wadding because there's plastic in the mix (envelope windows). I'm hoping the shreader just overheated and will run again after it cools down. It's over ten years old, so it's done it's duty if I need to buy another one.
It's also no good unless you were to soak it in 9 oz Borax Powder + 4 oz Boric Acid per 1 gallon of water.

Had a go at fixing a DRO on a lathe at work. Unfortunatley the power supply had a shorted turn in the transformer. Way too old to get a replacement transformer, so it will be a new DRO and scales. It has done a lot of work so a birthday present is probably warranted. It is an old Colchester-brand lathe.
Too old for an exact replacement, but you can't find an equivalent?

I got most things back on the turntable, although perplexing, as there are 3 black machine screws with countersunk washers, likely in the 5/16" size that were in the parts bag that I have no idea where they go. I have to install the tonearm, get a new stylus for the Shure Type III cartridge, and then work on getting the new plexiglass pieces fitted to the wood framed dust cover.

Friend came up to give our ductwork and furnace the once-over. Cleaned a ton of filth off the outside-radiator-looking thingy, and discovered that the furnace won't work until he can dig up a replacement circuit board. At least it's very pleasant weather, not a problem for a few weeks at least.

Last night I found a hoard of ants in the kittens quarantine room. So they were released 2 days early. Tonight will be cleaning walls, toys, cat towers and the carpet. The kittens are very happy to get back into the rest of the house. They told me, really. The senior cats are not amused.

I thought most of you mountain bike folk had gone full tubeless.

So far, I've stayed with tubes and Slime. I still have 26" rims too, so I'm a little behind the trends. I might go tubeless whenever I get a new bike but still keep a tube in my pack for emergencies.

Last night I found a hoard of ants in the kittens quarantine room. So they were released 2 days early. Tonight will be cleaning walls, toys, cat towers and the carpet. The kittens are very happy to get back into the rest of the house. They told me, really. The senior cats are not amused.
I hate ants. The only thing I like about ants is that they hate termites. When termites swarm here, ants go psycho and grab every one they can and pull them into their nest and kill (and eat???) them.

But I still hate ants.

Sandy.

Flew from Los Angeles to Miami and back today. My flight was originally scheduled for Orlando, but the hurricane caused the company to change the destination to Miami. The flight down was uneventful, and saw us fly down the east side of the storm, after 5hrs on the ground in Miami, we departed back to LAX, and have some very impressive sunset views of Hurricane Ian.

Godspeed and prayers to those in her path. Hoping for the best for everyone.

456FEC7B-10E9-41D3-96BA-5AFC49092223.jpegD942500D-23D3-4A4F-BEB9-FF19B824ECC8.jpeg99155A28-9650-494B-9AA3-35CC7B711DE6.jpeg75AF4684-BAC6-4573-AC19-897FD9EB57AF.jpegE75DFBBF-BC70-4809-A09A-9C0A2B93374C.jpegA259ED72-D9E6-4947-A522-FD3A33EA18CE.jpeg

Attachments

• 686B7147-B41B-4CA9-9D64-9A3716E14346.jpeg
    686B7147-B41B-4CA9-9D64-9A3716E14346.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 82D5A36C-0537-4F71-890A-C3A8F6249972.jpeg
    82D5A36C-0537-4F71-890A-C3A8F6249972.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D65ADB39-E634-49F3-B3A2-2F4E85A20D74.jpeg
    D65ADB39-E634-49F3-B3A2-2F4E85A20D74.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
So far, I've stayed with tubes and Slime. I still have 26" rims too, so I'm a little behind the trends. I might go tubeless whenever I get a new bike but still keep a tube in my pack for emergencies.
I have 26" tubeless. Love them. The bike is carbon fiber and there is almost no inertia in it. Tubes would take a little of the responsiveness away. I do carry tubes for emergencies.

Photographer coming to MIL's house today, so last minute 'decor' changes and some touch up lawn mowing. Beats the retaining wall repair I did yesterday. Looking forward to a day of farm work and a bottle of Jameson tomorrow.

Pro bono work. Fixed two Baxter IV pumps from the university my wife teaches nursing at. Batteries dead because people leave them not plugged in. Easy to replace the SLA batteries but a needless waste of time and money. Uni buys the batteries, I replace them. Just keep them plugged in as the instructions say!

[A] needless waste of time and money.
And material.

What I did instead of rocketry: something. I should have been doing something on the rocket - sanding to be ready for painting weather tomorrow, but I didn't, and I don't even remember what I did. Probably sat on the couch while someone had something on the TV I didn't care about.

Back