What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few weeks ago, we were on a trail with lots of blackberries along the sides. Every mile or so there's be a scat that looked a lot like that, except with much smaller seeds. Apparently the bears liked the berries too.

They aren't too picky this time of year. Our neighbors, who also have small children, leave their trash sitting outside, so the bears do the rounds.

Folks nowadays are a mystery.

They aren't too picky this time of year. Our neighbors, who also have small children, leave their trash sitting outside, so the bears do the rounds.

Folks nowadays are a mystery.
That's like leaving small dogs outside at night in cougar country. Mother Nature isn't going to turn down a snack if you offer it to her.

pumped up the front tire of our car with the cigarette lighter powered small air compressor, we're going to have to take it to get it fixed on Monday, didn't see anything in it.

That's like leaving small dogs outside at night in cougar country. Mother Nature isn't going to turn down a snack if you offer it to her.
True, but can I wish the neighbors left their cats out for the coyotes......

Its getting to the point I may have to call Animal Control to start trapping all the damn strays/unregistered and non-fixed cats around my neighborhood.

pumped up the front tire of our car with the cigarette lighter powered small air compressor, we're going to have to take it to get it fixed on Monday, didn't see anything in it.

Did you check the valve stem? A few years back I had a tire with a slow leak, and the valve stem was leaking where it pops into the wheel.

Sat with my wonderful cat of 18+ years as she slowly passes. The hardest thing you can imagine. She is like a child to me and my spouse. I remember bring her and her litter mate Boris (Boris and Natasha) home 18 years ago... now she is barely alive waiting to join her brother... and us... someday...

Yeah I am heartbroken. But she has brought 18 years of joy to us.

Sat with my wonderful cat of 18+ years as she slowly passes. The hardest thing you can imagine. She is like a child to me and my spouse. I remember bring her and her litter mate Boris (Boris and Natasha) home 18 years ago... now she is barely alive waiting to join her brother... and us... someday...

Yeah I am heartbroken. But she has brought 18 years of joy to us.
Sorry for your loss. Difficult. We had to do the same thing with our dog earlier this year.

Do you have any stops? It's only 5.5 hours to get from SEA to Orlando, and we're a lot further from there than you are.
I miss calculated the time. It was 4 hours and 40 minutes. It just seemed longer squished up against the window. I'm not large and neither were the other two guys. I sat thigh to thigh with the guy in the middle. It wasn't as bad as the time I was squished into 3/4's of my seat by the 2 very large ladies next to me. They both were asleep and I needed to use the restroom.

I was 3 for 3 with Ikea handy-man-special boxes.... i.e., bought 3 no-return kits from the Ikea scratch-and-dent room for $10 each and all wound up having all the parts and not having any damage to speak of. These were the two non-rocketry related items:

Normally $85 for $10.
1664228108939.png

Normally $99 for $10
1664228200434.png

I want to add a couple more 3D printers and need a cleaner way to get everything in enclosures. I hemmed and hawed about whether to buy a metal garage / industrial shelf and then enclose the printers (I print ABS so need to enclose each printer) but decided that I would be better off buying a mostly closed box and reinforcing it as needed. I went to Ikea to buy a Pax closet since the $135 closet could potentially house 8 MK3s printers (or 4-6 comfortably with storage and filament feeders / dry boxes). Adding 3-4x shelves + vertical separator / reinforcing shelves etc... was going to add another $100-$150.

Anyway, PAX units were out of stock so I grabbed a $10 handy-man-special unit that seemed like it would work to hold 2x 3D printers.
1664227999834.jpeg

It was a little shallow -- for those of you that use these printers you know then need about 24" in depth for the build plate that moves back and forth. So I adapted a mount to attach the display to the side of the printer. Should work fine positioned sideways in the setup. I was a little surprised that no one had already shared adapters to mount the display on the side.
1664228359105.jpeg

Last edited:
There is also a liquid tire sealant you can get and put in the tyre. My preferred brand here is Slime. It seals any small leaks. I run it in all my tires, both car and bike. Works well.
You must like hearing tire (tyre) repairmen swear lots.....one tire company I worked for would refuse to repair a tire that had Fix-a-Flat or Slime in it. If it will hold air long enough to SAFELY drive it to a repair shop then do so, the tire person will thank you for it.

There is also a liquid tire sealant you can get and put in the tyre. My preferred brand here is Slime. It seals any small leaks. I run it in all my tires, both car and bike. Works well.

You must like hearing tire (tyre) repairmen swear lots.....one tire company I worked for would refuse to repair a tire that had Fix-a-Flat or Slime in it. If it will hold air long enough to SAFELY drive it to a repair shop then do so, the tire person will thank you for it.

I like to use Slime in my Mountain Bike tubes, but not my car. It works great on the trails and occasional thorns from blackberry bushes to help prevent changing a tube in the middle of the woods. The mess isn't a big deal when you can replace a tube later. I wouldn't want to deal with it on car unless it was an emergency.

I like to use Slime in my Mountain Bike tubes, but not my car. It works great on the trails and occasional thorns from blackberry bushes to help prevent changing a tube in the middle of the woods. The mess isn't a big deal when you can replace a tube later. I wouldn't want to deal with it on car unless it was an emergency.
Same here, bike tires only for Slime and its ilk.

I've been a mechanic, and had to work on flats with "gunk" in them, it's not fun. A tire can leak from any of several points; the core of the valve stem, the outside of the valvestem where it goes through the rim, between the tire and rim (mine does this with weather changes), or a leaky rim. Or you could have a punctured or leaking tire. You should be able to mix up some soapy water and spray on the tire/rim. That's about the best you can do without pulling it off the car to check the backside, but it's fairly easy.

I thought most of you mountain bike folk had gone full tubeless. I even run tubeless on my road bike tires with MucOff sealant. Helps with tiny punctures and does away with the dreaded pinch flat (which at 185 lbs on 25/28 mm tires and crap roads were most of my previous flats). Can't imagine the unholy mess if enough sealant were used in a car tire though. I feel like that would require tipping the guy who ultimately changes the tires bigtime.

I thought most of you mountain bike folk had gone full tubeless.
I do run tubeless in the MTB. The slime helps with the inevitable slight leak rate and avoiding annoying punctures on the commute. I got a flat one morning and was cursing the Slime for not doing its job. It turned out I had five punctures and it had successfully sealed four of them, and slowed the fifth one down a bit.

Back