What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished assembly of the new cat box cabinet. Then put a light coat of clear on it. Tomorrow I'll put another coat on. We are having to empty both litter boxes twice a day. When I cleaned them out this evening it was like I hadn't cleaned in a day. These cats are full of it.
FWIW several 'cat' web sites suggest having one more litter box than the number of cats; 4 boxes for three cats, etc.

Looked up the weather for my cycling event on Saturday (Triple Bypass Gran Fondo), 106 miles and 10.6k ft of climbing). No danger of overheating for sure. In fact, looks like I'll be breaking out all the winter and rain kit this one...56 degrees at the start in Evergreen, 65 at the finish in Vale, three chilly passes (Jasper, Loveland and Vale) in between and potentially raining the whole way. The rain should make those long descents with rim brakes extra "interesting". At least I won't cook on the climbs, which is good because that is the timed (race) part of the event. Should actually be a nice change from the brain baking 90-100 degree rides I've been having for the last 2 months.

I leave for Santa Fe in the morning to spend a couple days acclimating some to altitude, then on to Vale on Friday. Going to ride Palo Duro Canyon on the way to Santa Fe (there is a climb there I may use for an Everesting attempt). Then in Santa Fe there is an awesome climb to the ski area that should be good practice for the weekend as it closely matches the profile (4% for 15-ish miles) and altitude of the Triple climbs.

1660662977772.png

I wish that worked for me. I haven't found a waterproof/breathable later yet that allowed enough vapor out to permit any significant activity. In the winter I can get away with it backpacking at a casual pace, but nothing seems to work for running/riding. It helps manage temperature a bit, bit I'll still be wet inside the jacket.

made my first splice on a reel-to-reel 1/4" tape

Cool!

I had a tape splicer in high school and made a few bucks fixing folks 8-track tape cartridges.... being raised on a farm if stuff broke, we fixed it. Or at least tried too anyways.

Neat memory, I found this photo online... pretty sure this is the same style of splicer.

1660695216255.png

Last edited:
Cool!

I had a tape splicer in high school and made a few bucks fixing folks 8-track tape cartridges.... being raised on a farm if stuff broke, we fixed it. Or at least tried too anyways.

Neat memory, I found this photo online... pretty sure this is the same style of splicer.

View attachment 532866
My Dad had one of those! I used it lots!

My wife used to splice film for movie theaters in high-school. She loved movies and worked as a projectionist. My understanding is that the films arrived and had to be spliced due to how they were shipped vs. how they were projected. Never really been into that and met her many years later, but I guess it was a thing in the analog days. I'm still into the analog days, just never had hands-on experience.

Sandy.

My wife used to splice film for movie theaters in high-school. She loved movies and worked as a projectionist. My understanding is that the films arrived and had to be spliced due to how they were shipped vs. how they were projected. Never really been into that and met her many years later, but I guess it was a thing in the analog days. I'm still into the analog days, just never had hands-on experience.

Sandy.
They also had to be spliced to long leaders if the film was going to be shown on multiple screens...a friend of mine owns several local theatres, and they only received one copy of each film, to a long leader was run through all the projectors in the projection gallery that would be showing the film, the leaders determined the start times for the movie, if one started at 8pm and the leader to the next projector was 13 minutes long the second screen showing would start at 8:13pm, imagine the leader for 10 screens, there were guide pulleys for the films all over the gallery to allow the film to line up with each projector in the sequence.

They also had to be spliced to long leaders if the film was going to be shown on multiple screens...a friend of mine owns several local theatres, and they only received one copy of each film, to a long leader was run through all the projectors in the projection gallery that would be showing the film, the leaders determined the start times for the movie, if one started at 8pm and the leader to the next projector was 13 minutes long the second screen showing would start at 8:13pm, imagine the leader for 10 screens, there were guide pulleys for the films all over the gallery to allow the film to line up with each projector in the sequence.
Sounds cool to see the mechanics, even though your description makes a clear view. Seems a bit 'Rube Goldberg' but at the same time, if you can make it work with pulleys and weights in the 1930's instead of having to call IT when the internet goes down, maybe there's merit. For me at least, there is!!!

Sandy.

Sounds cool to see the mechanics, even though your description makes a clear view. Seems a bit 'Rube Goldberg' but at the same time, if you can make it work with pulleys and weights in the 1930's instead of having to call IT when the internet goes down, maybe there's merit. For me at least, there is!!!

Sandy.
Nowadays its not so cool...they get a digital copy and network carries it to the projectors and start times are on demand.

Last edited:
Nowadays its not so cool...they get a digital copy and network carries it to the projectors and start times are on demand.

Makes sense. In the 90's/00's, the line to get into the local IMAX theater was in front of windows where you saw the film being transferred and all kinds of cool automation, complete with people doing stuff too - maybe 2-3 stories tall you could watch. Haven't been there in decades, so not sure if they show that part, but if they still do, that would be cool. I imagine its all gone and just digital as well.

Heck, for all I know, that part was just a show for people to watch and didn't even matter, as it was at a 'Discovery Museum' that was intended to make people interested in stuff and it looked a lot cooler to have big rolls of film moving around than hard drives being mounted. Back then, I bet it was real. Today, if it still exists, I bet its a show.

Cool to hear about your friend's experience, though. I'll ask my wife if the theater she worked at had a similar thing at any point.

Sandy.

I bet blackberry freezer jam rocks too. I had a grandmotherly family friend who made red raspberry freezer jam to die for.
Can confirm. I didn't have much to do with the making other than cleanup, though. And eating, of course! :D

Fixing mongrel work 3D printer, again. It turned out that the cooling fan on the extruder was running slow, not cooling the tail of the hot-end enough 🤬 . Replaced 24V fan with a 12V one I had on-hand. A couple of zeners dropped the excess volts to something acceptable.

Threw on a lighter wheel set (w/ some Michelin Energy Savers), lowered and installed some aero mirrors on my e-Golf. Still need to grab the 3D scanner at work and make some plugs for the holes for the stock mirrors, but tape works for now.

Range and handling has improved a good bit, especially after ditching the 18” GTI rims the last owner put on them. Dropped about 10lbs of rotational mass on each corner. :)

Attachments

• CB9EA5BC-E81F-4D51-8380-C1C86C9CF498.jpeg
    CB9EA5BC-E81F-4D51-8380-C1C86C9CF498.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Fixing mongrel work 3D printer, again. It turned out that the cooling fan on the extruder was running slow, not cooling the tail of the hot-end enough 🤬 . Replaced 24V fan with a 12V one I had on-hand. A couple of zeners dropped the excess volts to something acceptable.
(Hmm. 12 volts dropped in the zeners, times fan current, subtract from fan capacity, capacity probably reduced by lower voltage... Oh well, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.)

(Hmm. 12 volts dropped in the zeners, times fan current, subtract from fan capacity, capacity probably reduced by lower voltage... Oh well, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.)
I do :) . 12V fan still sees 12V. Airflow is about the same in the 12V and 24V fans, just different supply voltage. Just a bit of extra heat (1.2W) to dissipate in the zeners. All is good.

I started volunteering at the shelter that helped us catch the kittens. Today I drove 15 cats in their carriers to the Spay and Neuter clinic in Vegas. I picked them up at 8am and got back to the shelter here a little past 6pm. I was worried I would here crying cats for an hour and a half both ways. It was a little noisy at first. I turned on the radio and they all settled down. I first put a sheet of heavy plastic down and then a large canvas tarp in the back of the Explorer. Just incase. Only one mishap. The shelter here pays for most of the fixing. The owners pay what they can afford. After I dropped them off I was on my own. Made some calls. Did some shopping at Bass Pro Shop. Had lunch at In & Out. Then to a park. Had a nap. Then it was time to come back. Just before I got back to the shelter the cats were listening to Eric Clapton's White Room. I think they liked it. I'll take another group on September 9th. And I gave the shelter 2 cases of kitten food. Lots of good Karma.

Back