What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I struggled trying to unscrew the adjustable feet on the stereo rack, we finally figured out that there was a lock nut hidden up under the vertical posts. The 85 pound 6-channel amp is going to be removed soon and going to my sons house which should help things out.
Sold the 8x10 area rug which wouldn't stay flat in my stereo room.

Went to my part time job. It was quiet for the first couple of hours. At 10 we got busy. I helped a regular on how to shoot an AR. Then he went and bought one. Helped a lady who had some experience. She was anticipating the shot and shooting low. I gave her my .22 to shoot. After a couple of shots she stopped flinching. And started hitting the 10 ring. Then it was back to the 9mm. Her experience with the .22 crossed over to the 9. Not all the shots were in the 10 ring but it was a decent group. Her Husband or boyfriend was so happy with her improvement he slipped me a $20. One of my students was in the range. I asked how she was doing. She said she needed another lesson. Gave some advice to another couple of guys.
Our town is having a parade tomorrow. I'm going to drive the company Suburban and tow a trailer with a big 2 sided billboard in the parade. Going to be a short parade. Should take 15 minutes to pass a spot. After that it's wait until dark. We are all meeting at the store. It is in a perfect place to watch the town fireworks. The town usually puts on a good show. If none of the locals starts a fire this year it would be a good thing. We had a couple of fires last year. I hope one of my neighbors doesn't set the desert on fire. I don't think they are very bright, They almost started a fire last year.

I drove the company Suburban and towed a trailer with a billboard advertising the store in the towns 4 of July parade. I followed a bicycle built for 4. It even had an awning. I found it humorous when the spectators would clap and yell, Yay 2nd Amendment. That's the name of the gun store and range where I have my part time job.

Made a stirring stick/epoxy mixing tip box using the same 3x7 inch plywood pieces from Walmart.
zKzdqVP.jpg

layed in bed highly depressed over losing the "free" garage I was offered, but then reversed. GD Bi-Polar disease is getting bad these days. I think it's caused by people taking too many pharms. :mad:

As usual attended a useless 10am scrum via zoom.
Check on loading errors in Greenplum, found none, not bad for a 2TB import per day.
Checked on new API calls I'll have to make to Oracle.

took measurements on how to re-arrange my stereo room so that I can move the important things from my garage that I need to quit renting. 😢

Received a report from an angsty teenager about one of the washing machines. :rolleyes:

Tried to fix one of the washing machines. 🤠

Ordered parts to repair one of the washing machines. 😢

Glad my hobby isn't repairing washing machines. LPR is looking very cheap ATM. :p

Been doing some Electrical Fast Transient/Bursts testing on a product I recently modified. It was failing. Turned out to be a cr@p USB cable :( . Got one of the ones we normally specify, not a random cable from God knows where, and it sailed through with a pass.

Only radiated immunity testing to go now, then we can stick a fork in it and call it done.

made a dozen trips Back and forth to the garage as I have started to clean it out and move everything into the condo stereo room. It's going to take a while to do all of this, probably the whole month of July. kind of difficult holding things in my lap or balancing things on the footrest of the power chair and trying to open doors.

I just got back from a trip to the Urology Center to have two kidney stones removed. Not a lot of laughs. Kidney stones are pretty motivating towards corrective action however. They are not the most painful thing I have experienced, but they had no trouble making the top five.

Jim

I have been packing a suitcase and making a big box for Goodwill of the clothes I will never wear again. The 34 waist pants won't be worn by me anytime soon. If I can wear them again, which I doubt, I'll reward myself with new clothes. Boxed up all the 36 waist pants. I'll keep them. I got bit by a Black Widow in 2018. The nerve pain was bad enough that the Doctor put me on Gabapentin. I didn't know it caused weight gain. I gained 35 pounds and no matter what I do it won't go away. I'm waiting on a referral to a weight loss Doc. Anyway I'm going to Eugene Oregon to see some long time friends and play some golf. Until 2019 and Covid I had played 28 consecutive years with the same group of guys at the same golf course. It's a tournament of sorts. All money games. We all throw about $60 in the pot. A former math teacher handles all the money. Prizes for first second and third. We also pay out for skins, closest to the hole and longest shot in the hole. Almost everybody gets something back. They picked up last year. But I couldn't make it. My wife was afraid I would catch Covid. I'm flying up and staying for 10 days. I'm taking my computer so I can keep up on the Forum. I'm also going to show them lots of rocket pictures and videos. I hope they like them.

Anyway I'm going to Eugene Oregon to see some long time friends and play some golf. Until 2019 and Covid I had played 28 consecutive years with the same group of guys at the same golf course. It's a tournament of sorts. All money games. We all throw about $60 in the pot. A former math teacher handles all the money. Prizes for first second and third. We also pay out for skins, closest to the hole and longest shot in the hole. Almost everybody gets something back.
I used to be in a work-based bowling league that worked a lot like that. $15 a week for a 26 week season, and then everybody got something back in some sort of prize money. (Of course dues also covered the payment to the alley.) And there was always enough more than that to buy a bunch of food and drinks on the last week and make it a party.

If we were doing that today I'd push for an increase to $20 a week, with the additional five being collected and sent to some sort of relief charity - Ukraine, COVID, natural disasters, whatever. We had 24 or 32 members (six or eight teams) in different years. 5$/week/member×24 members×26 weeks = $3120, or $4160 in an eight team season. I nice chunk of change, even if it's only once a year.

Visiting friends in Wyoming. Probably head back Sunday. I was going to drive slowly and see the sights, and stop at NARAM next Friday, but circumstances have changed. Sister texted me that Mom (91) has the flu and a sore throat. She's pretty tough for her age but...just in case, I want to be home as much as is practical next week.

boxed up contents of the 6 drawers in the tanker desk in prep for moving it into the house. Moved the 2 front PSB Stratus Gold speakers into the house to be used for my front speakers in my bedroom.

-Friends came into town I had not seen since pre-Covid times - it was great to see them, but there's never enough time to catch up
-Read a few chapters in a book about 19th century women's baseball leagues... something I knew nothing about
-Watched a video of a July 4th celebration in Missouri where they actually read parts of the Declaration of Independence out loud - does that still happen annually in Boston and/or Philadephia? Faneuil Hall used to have a tour that started with a reading
-Ate, slept and did a few other "natural" things...
-Finished the introductory astronomy book "Nightwatch" - I'm slowly learning my way around the night sky, something I've put off for too long
-Along those lines, experimented with photographing the moon with a cell phone and some high-powered binoculars - I was expecting worse, though I was also hoping for better:
Moon.png

I did the weekly running around. UPS store, ATM, pharmacy and the grocery store. I went in for coffee. That was the only thing on the list. I got to the check out isle with a full cart. I'm going to Eugene Oregon tomorrow. So I was getting some things my wife might want in the future. I'll be gone 11 days. And I don't want her to have to go to the store. She has one appointment here in town while I'm gone that she will have to drive to. She stopped driving a couple of years ago. I think she has driven twice this year. Usually bringing me back from a doctors appointment when I have been sedated. A physical therapist comes 3 times a week and a nurse once a week. So she won't be totally alone all the time. We're friends with a couple of our neighbors and she can call if she needs help with something. I'm going to get to see friends I have known for 30 years that I haven't seen in 3 years and play golf. Also this is the hottest time of year here. Going to Oregon at this time every year I miss the 115 degree days. We might not get that hot this year. It should be over a hundred every day this time of year and it's only been in the 90's. Besides the errands I have been packing. I'm trying to get everything in one suitcase. It is going to be close.

Back