What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody else seen anything in the sky that can't be explained?
Sorry this took a while to dig out again. My great uncle was a B-29 pilot in the Pacific Theater in WWII, flew in Korea (I'm guessing combat transports [evacuations and paratroop drops], but don't know for sure), and stayed in afterwards. In 1952, he was a senior test pilot flying a T-33 out of Reese AFB in Lubbock. The family history reports...

It was at Reese that he chased a UFO in a T-33 jet at night as high as his plane would go, with the UFO switching form right, then to the left side of the plane, in the blink of an eye. After a while, and at dangerously high altitude for the plane, he ceased his chase and returned to a lower altitude. His experience was related to officials - and filed along with other UFO sightings.

Incidentally, the same great-uncle was later in a strategic missile squadron and was in a silo control room during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Booked a trip to Barcelona in July for a Computational Chemistry conference. Conference format is talks until noon, free time until 4, then posters and talks until 9. That means 4h in the middle of every day to explore...taking my bike with me.

It's actually a very good conference, not just an excuse for me to get a company paid trip to Spain. There are worse places to spend a week though. :cool:
If you go to Spain and are interested in seeing La Sagrada Familia by Antonio Gaudi I have some tips:
1) You MUST go inside. It will blow your mind
2) Purchase a "jump the queue" ticket to avoid having to wait in a long line. Well worth the price.
It is the most beautiful place of worship I have seen in the world, and I have seen a few.

Enjoy the trip!

Still in Albquerque. Visited the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, the old town and a rattlesnake museum. Got a nice piece of pottery by a local indian artist as a souvenir.

There is also the ASRT X-Ray Museum, but that is closed currently :( .

Oh, I also dropped by Walter White's house for a quick pic :).

Now filling in forms, checking in and packing for the flight home tomorrow...

Attended registration and the first day of the National Stuttering Association’s conference in Newport Beach, CA supporting my wife, a person who stutters. She’s been attending the conferences since 1991, this is my second as a registered attendant.

I took my monthly donation of cat food to a local no kill shelter. Asked them how to catch the 5 kittens and the mother that have been in my back yard at the same time. We want to take them to the vet and bring them home to be inside cats. I went to the UPS store a dropped off a box I'm sending to myself in Oregon. One less suitcase. I also dropped off a box going to our very own kenEcoyote. He is going to help me out with the eggfinder. Then to the Post Office. I had to send a money order to the guy I bought the Uzi barrel from. So, I sent one to Oregon, one to Rhode Island and another to Ney York State. Covered the country from sea to shining sea. Then I washed the Explorer. This town needs a good self service car wash. The ones that are here leave a lot to be desired. I took a full load of recycling in. Lots of boxes and other stuff. UPS or FedEx have been here every day this week and two or three times last week. I love Amazon. Without it we would have to go to Vegas to get a lot of what we want or need. The only choice here is Walmart. When I got home I loaded up the Explorer with some things for Goodwill. Besides the golf shirts and pants I added some T shirts, a golf bag full of woods, a golf bag full of putters and wedges and a complete set of clubs. That almost emptied a closet. Came home and feed the cats, both inside and outside. Then made dinner and watched Jeopardy. That is all.

I just got home from the hospital. I went there for an out patient procedure (colonoscopy), and things got 'inconvenient'. While I was under I started coughing up blood. They did an endoscopy and my upper GI looks significantly worse than the lower. I aspirated fluids so they kept me overnight, I'm still clearing my lungs. More reasons to be unenthusiastic about the 'At your age you need a colonoscopy' thing. We'll see how this comes out.

Jim

Visited the chiropractor. That was fun.

Tried to find a streaming service in Oz where I could watch the original Alien Nation movie (1988) starring James Caan.

Bzzt. Nada.

Went to the kids night soccer game.

It's Friday AM and looks like I can still drive over 700 miles in a day. Made it to PA last night around 9. Saturday is the family cookout; not all 13 siblings, aunts, cousins, etc. will show but that's ok. I'll be patting out about 20 lb of ground beef into patties today.

I sent one to Oregon, one to Rhode Island and another to Ney York State.
(It looks like I forgot to hit "Post reply" on this yesterday when I wrote it.) Truly pointless bit of trivia. New York and Rhode Island share a border. One of only two pairs of states that share a water border and no land border (counting rivers as land borders). Name the other one.
1656602732860.png
Wished I could afford to bid like this…
Don't we all. But if I could, it wouldn't be on a car.

(It looks like I forgot to hit "Post reply" on this yesterday when I wrote it.) Truly pointless bit of trivia. New York and Rhode Island share a border. One of only two pairs of states that share a water border and no land border (counting rivers as land borders). Name the other one.
Minnesota/Michigan via Lake Superior.

Almost switched back to model RR after spending too much time looking at the handlaid N scale turnouts that I salvaged from my old layout a long time ago and thinking about how much cooler it is now that you can put DCS in anything. Also gonna spend some time practicing on my new guitar.

Took my wife to the VA hospital in Vegas for an appointment. Had a nap in the parking lot until one of the VA policemen woke me up to see if I was alright. I had been asleep for an hour and a half. 15 minutes after I woke up my wife was done. Drove home. Half a tank of gas, $51. In the last two days I have spent $138 on gas. I had a doctors appointment myself. After that I went to Home Depot. I looked at inexpensive refrigerators. Our 31 year old one is dying. We bought that fridge when we first got to Vegas in 1991. It has outlived about 4 other fridges. Inexpensive it turns out is not that inexpensive. $800 for a 20 cubic inch one. That's a little smaller than full size. It's been a while since we bought a fridge. But it will just be sodas so it will work. I looked at some lumber to lay along the fence line that will hopefully stop critters from digging under the fence. Holy mackerel did lumber get pricy. I'll use what I already have. I have about 8 sheets of 4' x 8' 1/2" plywood I can cut up. Bought it years ago for a project that never got off the ground.

I drove up to the Farm and put a new brake booster in the '98 Dodge pickup.

Now I'm in the '80s time capsule Pizza Hut in Onawa, waiting for a pizza.

I went to a show with my wife and brother-in-law. First show in 2.5 years and has my been the longest stretch without live music since I was 13. It was fun seeing a room full of metalheads singing along to Sweet Caroline before the bands came out.

PSX_20220702_214537.jpg

Back