What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the charging setup install for my wife's car. Only needs 110v 12a, so I picked up the 20a garage circuit and punched it through the wall to a GFI plug with a locking in use cover. Only needed to cut out about a 3' x 9" strip of drywall, so the patching shouldn't be too bad.

20220515_184042.jpg

Got the charging setup install for my wife's car. Only needs 110v 12a, so I picked up the 20a garage circuit and punched it through the wall to a GFI plug with a locking in use cover. Only needed to cut out about a 3' x 9" strip of drywall, so the patching shouldn't be too bad.

View attachment 518821
Dumb question but.......
What if it rains?

Well, my homes' external AC sockets have a weatherproof cover. The car's connection port looks open so..........
:questions:
Ah. I was assuming the connection was similar to what is often used by RV people in RV parks or similar. If it were completely unsealed, it might be less than optimal. Looks to be a somewhat sealed version to me at least. Hopefully he has it all worked out. Then again, we've had 110V stuff plugged into outdoor outlets with just the little flip doors for extended periods. When we had an above ground pool, we put a guarded outdoor outlet on that one.

If it is the car connection vs. the house, I bet it has a crazy special o-ring that costs a megabuck to repair/replace and a pretty good liability policy. . .

Sandy.

Ah. I was assuming the connection was similar to what is often used by RV people in RV parks or similar. If it were completely unsealed, it might be less than optimal. Looks to be a somewhat sealed version to me at least. Hopefully he has it all worked out. Then again, we've had 110V stuff plugged into outdoor outlets with just the little flip doors for extended periods. When we had an above ground pool, we put a guarded outdoor outlet on that one.

If it is the car connection vs. the house, I bet it has a crazy special o-ring that costs a megabuck to repair/replace and a pretty good liability policy. . .

Sandy.
I guess the GFI will shut down the juice if there's a fault.
Don't own an EV so pardon my ignorance.

View attachment 518821

What's in the garage? :dontknow: Aren't you leaving that shiny chariot wide open to thievery, ne'er-do-wells and the ever so frequent Garland Texas hailstorms?

Last edited:
My garage is a woodworking/fab shop, when we bought the new house, I gave up my 24' x 30' shop, so the garage is my new shop....told SWMBO no shop...no garage for cars....she didn't listen too well...🙄

The phrase "told SWMBO" is typically reserved as the opening statement for divorce lawyers...

What's in the garage? :dontknow: Aren't you leaving that shiny chariot wide open to thievery, ne'er-do-wells and the ever so frequent Garland Texas hailstorms?

Serves as pain cave (gym), workshop (bench too junked up to allow photographic evidence at moment) and Lab Rat Rocketry corporate headquarters.

Got a ductless heatpump in there, so it is a comfortable 70 degrees and low humidity year round. Perfect for printers and exercise.

20220516_095131.jpg

The phrase "told SWMBO" is typically reserved as the opening statement for divorce lawyers...
SWMBO was gifted a 300 Winchester Magnum as a wedding present from my Uncle...she can easily hit a 10" paper plate with it at 200 yds...a divorce is the last thing I have to worry about....😀

I started my "day off" finishing up paperwork from my shift yesterday for a few hours. That's always fun, but I also had time to put a piece of pork shoulder on the smoker for dinner. It also looks like a good day to do some yard work. If I get the chores done today, I should be able to enjoy a beautiful day off tomorrow with few responsibilities.

No, I need two garages one for cars...the other as the shop. 24' x 24' is fine for the cars, 60' x 100' would be about right for a shop/garage. Priorities my good man, priorities!
You just need to be more space-efficient! My entire lot is 40' x 100'--I can use the 1-car garage as much as I like as long as the car fits in there at the end of the day.

You just need to be more space-efficient! My entire lot is 40' x 100'--I can use the 1-car garage as much as I like as long as the car fits in there at the end of the day.
Do you have a full wood shop with fullsize tools, do you also fab metal and have the tools necessary for that? Working with panel goods requires a lot of space, 10' on each end of table saw and at least 5' to each side of blade. Working with rough cut lumber in lengths up to 16' long now requires at least 20' each infeed and out feed of every tool. Production and space efficiency are not good bedfellows. Add to that materials storage, and family storage, camping gear, boating, and travel trailer need space to work on those too, if stored outside in eastern WA the sun will destroy stuff pretty quick.

Do you have a full wood shop with fullsize tools, do you also fab metal and have the tools necessary for that? Working with panel goods requires a lot of space, 10' on each end of table saw and at least 5' to each side of blade. Working with rough cut lumber in lengths up to 16' long now requires at least 20' each infeed and out feed of every tool. Production and space efficiency are not good bedfellows. Add to that materials storage, and family storage, camping gear, boating, and travel trailer need space to work on those too, if stored outside in eastern WA the sun will destroy stuff pretty quick.
I know, I know, it all depends on what you're doing. Due to urban living, we have to live in a small footprint, which limits hobbies somewhat. After 20+ years in the same house, we have to get rid of something for each new thing that comes into our lives.

I do lust after my friend's shop, where he had a jointer, table saw, and thickness planer plus a couple of workbenches in a single-car garage through clever use of wheeled carts. The car lived outside, though.

I know, I know, it all depends on what you're doing. Due to urban living, we have to live in a small footprint, which limits hobbies somewhat. After 20+ years in the same house, we have to get rid of something for each new thing that comes into our lives.

I do lust after my friend's shop, where he had a jointer, table saw, and thickness planer plus a couple of workbenches in a single-car garage through clever use of wheeled carts. The car lived outside, though.
I currently have a two car garage doing what a large shop would be better for, thank goodness my woodworking and metal working aren't my day job as any real production would be impossible in that space. Nearly every job takes much longercthan it should as after each step things have to be moved around to accomodate the next step. My day job is cleaning up radioactive waste sites.

Flew a kite on Venice Beach. Figured out the GPU upgrades I need to update my old Mac Pro to the latest macOS. Tried out a Thai restaurant.

I currently have a two car garage doing what a large shop would be better for, thank goodness my woodworking and metal working aren't my day job as any real production would be impossible in that space. Nearly every job takes much longercthan it should as after each step things have to be moved around to accomodate the next step. My day job is cleaning up radioactive waste sites.
That must have a better wife acceptance factor than the other way round: Being a professional woodworker who recreationally cleans up radioactive waste in his garage. :p

Reinhard

Friends, do you suffer from NDWS, Non-Dedicated Workshop Syndrome. Here at the NDWS Foundation of America, we're dedicated to wiping out this tragic condition that afflicts so many hobbyists, with so many hobbies, in so many communities like yours. Just listen to this, tragic, story:
I can use the 1-car garage as much as I like as long as the car fits in there at the end of the day.
This brave hobbyist could be your friend, your neighbor, or even yourself. So please give generously to the NDWS Foundation of America. Together, we can wipe wipe out NDWS in our lifetime.

And, if you act now, we'll send you this adorable NDWSFA screwdriver, just to say thanks.

Send your tax deductible donation today to
NDWSFA​
Box 350​
Boston, MA 02134​

Back