What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kid had a basketball game this morning; his team won and they're now 2-0. That was fun.

Got all my maple sap collection tubing run into the trees at home ( 7 runs of it, about 1000' total). Just have my remote trees to run tubing at yet.

Neighbor was cleaning out his shed and gave me some stuff he doesn't use. Planer needs a new power switch and may need some blade adjustment. 16" scroll saw is just fine as-is. He said he hasn't used them since he built his house a lot of years ago, so wondered if I could use them. Yup, sure can.

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_123656322_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220122_123656322_HDR.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220122_123701107_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220122_123701107_HDR.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220122_132108561_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220122_132108561_HDR.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 12
Tomorrow is mom's 75th birthday so I made cupcakes to bring over. All of us kids are making them and adding letters so that when spread out they spell happy birthday. She's also recovering from a bad upper respiratory infection so I made 3 quarts of chicken pot pie soup, 3 quarts of beef stew and 3 quarts of bacon cheddar broccoli soup. That should give her good meals fir a week. I made more than that if each and so my lunches are covered for next week too.

I had this Interesting experience this evening. No rockets were involved.

We ordered food online with one of the services where you can watch the delivery car on the internet making its progress towards your house. I submitted the order and watched the little car graphic go completely in the opposite direction from where I live. It zoomed far, far, south, then west, then it finally came back north and stopped at a place that was near my house, but it wasn't my house. Then it said "order delivered and completed," but no one had pulled up in front of the building. Soon I received a text that said "the driver has delivered your order and attached the picture at this link." When I opened the link it showed a place nearby that is actually a building full of restaurants. I thought "why in the !$%$%# did they drop it off there?" So I looked at the order again and somehow the delivery address had changed to that building. How, I don't know. So I tried calling the place and their "automated system" said "press 0 to speak to an operator," but when I actually pressed 0 it responded "this number is invalid." So we decided to drive over there on a nasty, snowy night with travel advisories. When we arrived, there was what looked like our order sitting on the ground in a parking space (picture below). It had been picked through and run over at least a few times. We asked inside and they said a driver had been there, had asked for "Ed," but they didn't know where to send him, so the driver must have just dumped the order in the parking lot and left. Why the driver didn't try calling me I'll never know. They had my number. So we ordered some different food inside the building and took it home. I manged to get most of my money back, but the service refused to refund 100%, insinuating that it was mostly my fault that the address was incorrect. I had never entered that address into my profile, so how it got in there is a mystery. Definitely an interesting experience.

IMG_0226.JPG

Tomorrow is mom's 75th birthday so I made cupcakes to bring over. All of us kids are making them and adding letters so that when spread out they spell happy birthday. She's also recovering from a bad upper respiratory infection so I made 3 quarts of chicken pot pie soup, 3 quarts of beef stew and 3 quarts of bacon cheddar broccoli soup. That should give her good meals fir a week. I made more than that if each and so my lunches are covered for next week too.

Happy Birthday Aaron's mom!

Sandy.

Neighbor was cleaning out his shed and gave me some stuff he doesn't use. Planer needs a new power switch and may need some blade adjustment. 16" scroll saw is just fine as-is. He said he hasn't used them since he built his house a lot of years ago, so wondered if I could use them. Yup, sure can.
I have that same planer and it still works well. A good cleaning & blowing the dust out of the electrics might get it going again. IIRC, the motor does have brushes.

Did a long bike ride as we had perfect weather for it, and 2 miles from home someone throws a water bottle out of a car coming the other way…skipped a few feet or so in front of my front tire. :mad:

It would have been REALLY bad had that got in my wheel as I was going well over 30 mph in the runout of a hill I had just come down, and I was on my aerobars, not the outer handlebars…I don’t even have brake levers on the aerobars. Don’t anyone think this was someone who the rude cyclist had wronged, they were on the other side of a divided road, 2 lanes each way, and someone chucked a bottle out of the back window of an SUV.

It was an otherwise awesome ride, crystal clear, relatively low wind, mostly empty roads, so I’ll try to ignore the blight at the end, and be thankful for a morning on my bike and making it home safe.

Did a long bike ride as we had perfect weather for it, and 2 miles from home someone throws a water bottle out of a car coming the other way…skipped a few feet or so in front of my front tire. :mad:

It would have been REALLY bad had that got in my wheel as I was going well over 30 mph in the runout of a hill I had just come down, and I was on my aerobars, not the outer handlebars…I don’t even have brake levers on the aerobars. Don’t anyone think this was someone who the rude cyclist had wronged, they were on the other side of a divided road, 2 lanes each way, and someone chucked a bottle out of the back window of an SUV.

It was an otherwise awesome ride, crystal clear, relatively low wind, mostly empty roads, so I’ll try to ignore the blight at the end, and be thankful for a morning on my bike and making it home safe.
Too many morons these days. :mad:

Yesterday, cooked dinner for the Bills game. Buffalo burgers (OK, bison) with slices of blue cheese and simple, almost original Buffalo wing sauce. Celery sticks on the side, of course. The burgers were good, but I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known the defense was going to take the night off.

We ordered food online with one of the services... Definitely an interesting experience.
If it were me, that'd be the last time I use that service. There are others.

Last edited:
Going on an overnight trip with my wife and father inlaw up to Bonegilla. That was where the FIL was processed as an immigrant when he came to Australia back in '59 from Yugoslavia. There is still a museum detailing experiences there. Hope he has a good trip. It is his 87th birthday too.

Yesterday, cooked dinner for the Bills game. Buffalo burgers (OK, bison) with slices of blue cheese and simple, almost original Buffalo wing sauce. Celery sticks on the side, of course. The burgers were good, but I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known the defense was going to take the night off.

The Chief’s offense was just better. Both teams played well.

Went to the local CVS to get tested for COVID. Already tested positive using a home test, but work wants "official" results from a third-party facility.

Got an email yesterday telling me I won a Sumiko Amethyst MM phono cartridge. I'd rather it be a Songbird or a Blue Point 3, but I'll take the Amethyst. Might try to swap it with someone for an MC cartridge.

Got my covid booster akong with my neighbor this morning. I really like this pharmacy, they've always treated me well, sometimes going out of their way. They happen to be next door to my doctor, another plus.

Checked on some other stuff while I was there. The pneumonia vaccines are ~$200 and $600. A box of five insulin pens like the doctor has been giving me, almost $600. I have no insurance; the doctor tries to give me samples of everything I need.

I can't praise this doctor enough. In 2014, I was in really bad shape. I was severely overweight, had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and practically uncontrolled diabetes (kept trying to go into pancreatitis). The doc changed my diabetic meds, and within two years, my weight had gone from ~300 to about 200. No high blood pressure, normal (actually a bit low) cholesterol. I had kept taking my medications (doc had not told me to stop). Kept trying to pass out and felt terrible. Checked blood pressure during one of these "spells" - 80/60. THEN the doc told me to stop the meds! I've also mostly got the blood sugar under control, but still have terrible neuropathy - diabetic nerve damage, in my feet.

In 2014, I was in really bad shape. I was severely overweight, had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and practically uncontrolled diabetes (kept trying to go into pancreatitis). The doc changed my diabetic meds, and within two years, my weight had gone from ~300 to about 200. No high blood pressure, normal (actually a bit low) cholesterol.
Dang! what meds were those? 300 lb, hypertensive, hypercholesterolic, pre-diabetic minds want to know.

More plant relocations. Bromeliads are a bit different with a shallow root structure. The challenge is to move them without losing their nutrient rich fluid and the flora and fauna within.

This nice red specimen has a species of aquatic grass growing in it. Others have small frogs or things HR Giger may have drawn.

EBE24912-7D1B-41AC-868D-58419D15D716.jpeg

We took delivery of our new living room furniture and a large safe. This safe weighs 1000 lbs. The guys moving it had a motorized hand truck. Moved that safe like it weighs nothing. Then grocery shopping. Then the fun part of putting it away. Not.

Dang! what meds were those? 300 lb, hypertensive, hypercholesterolic, pre-diabetic minds want to know.

Invokana/Jardiance with Metformin and Januvia. I lost a little bit of weight, then started walking. The more I walked, the more weight fell off, the better I felt. The better I felt, the easier it was to walk. I confess, I've put a few pounds back on, but I'm very sedentary now. I'm also watching my blood sugar carefully. I've got wounds on the outside edges of my feet that need to heal, then back to walking.

Ah, the "pee out sugar" drugs. Not something my doctor will prescribe as long as I hover in the prediabetic range. But I hear one of those is on the verge of being approved explicitly for weight loss. Once it is (and insurance covers it) I'll ask my doc.

Ah, the "pee out sugar" drugs. Not something my doctor will prescribe as long as I hover in the prediabetic range. But I hear one of those is on the verge of being approved explicitly for weight loss. Once it is (and insurance covers it) I'll ask my doc.
I've been using Ozempic for my diabetes and it is also approved for weight loss. It definitely took some pounds off of me.

Started a "Okay, I'm Dead, Now What?" letter for my wife/kids. No, I'm not dying (at least no faster than anyone else in their 60s) and I already have a will. But the letter describes some finances and personal items, including lots of rocket items, that can be sold.

Got a carbon fiber shipment of a different kind today. Waiting on the tires and other bits to set them up tubeless. Getting a cassette is a bit tough now too, but should have them ready to ride in a couple weeks.

DCB9AF94-86C4-462D-9671-284A5419A42D.jpeg

Today was the running around day for the week. Hit the Pharmacy. Then to Home Depot. My wife wants wheels on an end table in the living room. I got those and a propane tank, some miracle grow and some steel bar stock to use to level the safe. There is a rule. You can't go to Home Depot and come out with only what you went for. The I went to see about buying a Conex. I need to clean up the garage to make room for more rocket stuff.

Back