What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made coffee.

I got in to work, picked up my coffee cup, and went to my usual break room to fill it. The pot's as good as empty; I got about ¼ cup. So I rinsed out the pot and filter holder, put a filter in... no grounds.

Walked across the building and up a flight of stairs to the other break room. Took hold of a pot and could feel it was full, and filled my cup. Stone cold.

Made a fresh pot, filled my cup, walked down the stairs and across the building. 20 minutes after I got in, I sat down at my desk.

Not today, but I get quite a kick out of biking in the rain. I used to run a few times a week in any weather, but that as now turned into biking to work as often as my muscles and washing machine allow me too. Lots of fun when properly geared up. This isn't me but I probably look something like this. Except better.
48-GEAR_Rain-EssPeaPhotography.jpg

Not today, but I get quite a kick out of biking in the rain. I used to run a few times a week in any weather, but that as now turned into biking to work as often as my muscles and washing machine allow me too. Lots of fun when properly geared up. This isn't me but I probably look something like this. Except better.
View attachment 487474

Same. Kinda enjoyable. Snow too; but that might be less loved by others :)

View attachment 487474
I couldn't agree more. When I was commuting regularly rain was good, with the right equipment. I do draw the line at severe monsoonal rain. That is not fun. Fog is something I find really nice to ride in, but not on the road of course :).

Started learning photogrammetry. I did 2 flights with my hexacopter & shot about 1000 photos of my house then shoved those into Agisoft Metashape. The initial point cloud is done and my computer is now crunching on the dense point cloud. There's still a long way to go before I'll have a (hopefully) usable 3d model of my place, but things are looking promising.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 12.20.42 AM.png

Got a nice picture of the first module of a new barge going on to the launch ways. This is a section about 50' long, 52.5' wide, and 22' deep. I'm the project manager for designing this one. When finished, it'll be almost exactly the size of a football field and will carry containers between islands in Hawaii.

1635453217832.png

Started learning photogrammetry. I did 2 flights with my hexacopter & shot about 1000 photos of my house then shoved those into Agisoft Metashape. The initial point cloud is done and my computer is now crunching on the dense point cloud. There's still a long way to go before I'll have a (hopefully) usable 3d model of my place, but things are looking promising.

View attachment 487606
It already looks like a painting in the style of the pointallist expressionism.

It already looks like a painting in the style of the pointallist expressionism.
It looks better now that I have the whole 3D model and textures done. The old GoPro I flew to take the photos isn’t a good choice for this, but it turned out pretty well. Fun stuff!

Bought a new gun. It's an FN FNX 45 Tactical. Put together some new patio furniture. I was going to put the winter cover on the pool but I have to go to the grocery store instead.

Finally dedicated some time to do some more unpacking/organization/layout work in my home office. It's kinda nice to make some progress.

Installed a new cartridge on a spare tonearm for my Schiit Sol turntable. Found a Stereophile Class B rated Goldring E3 for under $200. Kept the original Audio-Technica AT-VM95EN on its tonearm and put it away, for now. Playing some Stanley Jordan to break it in.

Went to the cemetery and put some flowers on my moms grave(((covid))). Hopefully they finish her gravestone soon because I got a bunch of solar lights to fill up her space so she doesn’t have to be in the dark at night.
Some of you maybe asking yourselves, “why would he post this on the forums”?

Because my mom was my #1 fan when it came to rockets, she was in every rocket video I made and never missed a launch.

Attachments

• 156BE8D7-BD92-4878-A4E7-91010917A38B.jpeg
    156BE8D7-BD92-4878-A4E7-91010917A38B.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 6
Went to the cemetery and put some flowers on my moms grave(((covid))). Hopefully they finish her gravestone soon because I got a bunch of solar lights to fill up her space so she doesn’t have to be in the dark at night.
Some of you maybe asking yourselves, “why would he post this on the forums”?

Because my mom was my #1 fan when it came to rockets, she was in every rocket video I made and never missed a launch.
You need to place a rocket on her grave, as well. I'm sure she'd appreciate it!

Hope the Astros don't come back and take it to the full seven. Then your farm is gonna really get screwed. 😬
Is baseball really big in Oz?

The farm will be fine. We're on daylight saving time so I just work early and late...

Baseball isn't that big here, but we have a big regional league locally in Lismore. A couple of young guys have been picked up by the US majors over the past few years.

I played second base at high school and tried out for state, but that was a looooong time ago. ;)

I took advantage of the four days of "rest" I got after my covid booster knocked me down and went for a long run. Good news is I set a new PR on a half-marathon (1:58:22), bad news is I blew myself completely up and I need to walk little dude around the neighborhood in about hour. This is gonna be a slow trick or treat walk.

I paced the run so stupidly. You should never set PRs for 5K, 10K and 13.1 mile on the same run. The last 3 miles were brutal...I was on a 1:55 pace until I ran square into the wall.

Went to wash the dishes but couldn't get any hot water. Went out and checked the water heater and there was no pilot going. Took a good 5 minutes to remember how to light the pilot. Tried 10 times before it'd stay lit. Water heater is about 10 years old but had a recall on the thermocouple. I didn't find out until the replacement "savings" is just the cost of delivery.

Hoping its just a 1-off and I don't have a cold shower in the morning.

I put the rest of the patio furniture together. What a PITA it was. I think that each of the main pieces were made in different factories. The quality control is bad. Holes not ling up, pieces assembled wrong. I think the welded nuts in the frame were a different thread pitch than the bolts The tools that comes with the chairs were stamped wrenches and an allen wrench. The allen wrench would have been a joke. I had to use a hammer drill to put the 8 bolts in each chair. So a job that I thought would be a couple of hours took all day. Oh and the furniture is made in China. I sure am tired of everything being made in China.

Back