What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about what Saturn looks like with my 40 mm eyepiece. It's encouraging, but I know the scope is capable of more. (Cue the the sound of more money leaving my wallet.)

Is the timing business good? I have a company contacting me about training and equipment sales

We closed our timing business because it was getting too successful, for what we wanted it to be. It was taking up too many Saturdays, and I was having a hard time trying to maintain open dates for returning events, and taking on new events. Be aware it is a stressful activity for the time a race is running. There are a million little things that can go wrong, and all will occur in the span of 45 minutes in the case of a 5K. Many problems ate the result of poor planning on the race director's part, or stupidity on the participants' part; but everyone in attendance will see you as the one to blame because you are the most visible. I looked at taking crap for the race director as part of the service, but there were definitely events that I found myself "otherwise committed" the following year when they tried to book us again.

That's about what Saturn looks like with my 40 mm eyepiece. It's encouraging, but I know the scope is capable of more. (Cue the the sound of more money leaving my wallet.)
I know exactly what your saying. My first TeleView plossel cost almost as much as the scope itself.

Just got back from Denver this evening. Took the lady friend down for "an adventure". Saturday went kart racing, great time. Sunday went to the vertical wind tunnel for some indoor skydiving. She wasn't up for that, didn't finish her first minute. It's not for everyone. They let me burn my time and her remaining 4 minutes in the tunnel. I was a skydiver in a previous life so I enjoyed it. You need to be a lot more precise when you are in a 15 foot tube. :)

It's 02:30 and a cricket has woken me up. Took 10 minutes to track it down to beneath the dishwasher in an echo chamber seemingly purposely designed to make his endlessly repeating chirping echo throughout the house. But he is just out of each so I can't dispatch him. Also, I don't have any bug spray I want to use indoors much less in my kitchen. So what do you use on a cricket that sounds like a perpetually squeeky wheel but also mostly safe to use indoors around food type stuff? Why, WD-40 of course! Almost 10 minutes after being lubricated and he is still silent.

It's finally official: I have high functioning Autism spectrum disorder, nee: "Asperger's". I wish this stuff was figured out 55 years ago before I was shipped off to kindergarten. I feel locked out of a lot of things and jerked around by life due to a genetic prank. :/

It's finally official: I have high functioning Autism spectrum disorder, nee: "Asperger's". I wish this stuff was figured out 55 years ago before I was shipped off to kindergarten. I feel locked out of a lot of things and jerked around by life due to a genetic prank. :/

Better now than never!

Working on some 3D desigs for a customer.

Next up: a rocketry motor test stand based on arduino.

Watched USPS 'Pass the Parcel' and send my package back to Arizona again. No reason given.

On further investigation...

USPS says, "Australia Post isn't accepting freight due to lockdowns."

Australia Post says, "USPS has suspended shipments to Australia due to freight capacity issues."

I say, "This is stuff I need for my business which is really going to suffer if you don't get this sorted."

Well, that isn't what I really said. What I really said is unrepeatable on a family forum. :mad:

Changed the oil in the tractor, dropped the brush deck, lubed the tiller. Not enough daylight to get it all put back together, so tomorrow is the third day in a row.

I agree. I'm just repeating what was told to my supplier by a USPS employee.

I'm beyond annoyed right now.

I looked up a few statistics (on google so ymmv, but just wanted a sanity check).

Australia's population is about 26 million. North Carolina is around 11 million, so call it 2 times smaller for easy math. NC had 3700 new cases today (NC.gov website), Australia had 2400 cases on 10/5 (worldomiters.info).

I'm not sure why USPS would stop shipping stuff to you guys when you have more than twice the population of my state and less than 70% of the cases we had in the last few days. I'm pretty sure the postal service is working from state to state here. . .

To be clear, I'm questioning the logic, not saying it isn't happening. Seems to me like (short of all the other animals that are actively trying to kill you just for sport) Australia is a pretty safe place to be, COVID wise at least. . .

Sorry if some BS policy/politics here is hurting your ability to run a business or enjoy our sport. Shame on US if that's the case. I really just don't know why shipping is suspended, unless it is part of a bigger picture that might make sense otherwise (logistics, profit etc.).

Hope it returns to normal soon. I like the idea of being able to ship Estes BP motors, Aerotech and other options to Australia for the same price we see here. I bet ya'll would be on board with that for sure!

Sandy.

Hope it returns to normal soon. I like the idea of being able to ship Estes BP motors, Aerotech and other options to Australia for the same price we see here. I bet ya'll would be on board with that for sure!

@Sandy H. , I hope one day to have a big enough business to be a part of that!

Australia is the land that forgot LPR. I hope, in my small way, to change that.

I looked up a few statistics (on google so ymmv, but just wanted a sanity check).

Australia's population is about 26 million. North Carolina is around 11 million, so call it 2 times smaller for easy math. NC had 3700 new cases today (NC.gov website), Australia had 2400 cases on 10/5 (worldomiters.info).

I'm not sure why USPS would stop shipping stuff to you guys when you have more than twice the population of my state and less than 70% of the cases we had in the last few days. I'm pretty sure the postal service is working from state to state here. . .

To be clear, I'm questioning the logic, not saying it isn't happening. Seems to me like (short of all the other animals that are actively trying to kill you just for sport) Australia is a pretty safe place to be, COVID wise at least. . .

Sorry if some BS policy/politics here is hurting your ability to run a business or enjoy our sport. Shame on US if that's the case. I really just don't know why shipping is suspended, unless it is part of a bigger picture that might make sense otherwise (logistics, profit etc.).

Sandy.

From somethign I've been told (many years ago / unverified source, etc..) is that "mail" usually is a filler for planes & such. and AUS is a long way away.. so, with Covid: few flights to Oz.. Few ships directly to Oz.. Big fancy paid stuff get priority, US mail (or any mail that is passing thru the US: Canadian mail for instance) is 2nd class, and fills up whatever hole is available, on whatever available flight / boat..

Back