What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woke up. Slept for 20 hours. Man the dreams I had. I would sure like to meet the girl in some of my dreams. I would wake up from a dream, go back to sleep and pick the dream up again. It must have gone on for hours. In the dream it was love at first sight for both of us. I won't bore you with that details.
Post a Picture (no comments, or text) no.1357

More home improvement stuff...

Unloaded 1150 lbs of hardwood flooring off a semi truck, by hand,
moved that 1150 lbs of hardwood flooring to the back porch,
moved the 1150 lbs of hardwood flooring into the house,
Inspected every board, then "stickered" it in the room so it could acclimate.

1150 x 4 = 4,600 lbs of hardwood flooring I picked up and moved today.... Thank you Ibuprofen. Living Better With Modern Pharmaceuticals

The flooring is made from reclaimed wood from old barns and horse fencing. They skip plane one side, then put a tongue and groove on it. It really looks awesome.

Preview 002.JPGPreview.JPGProcessing 001.JPG

What species is that? "[R]eclaimed wood from old barns and horse fencing" is usually pine, not hardwood.

It's all oak, from Kentucky, Ohio, etc. aka Hardwood Country. We had a sawmill when I lived in Ohio. I can't recall ever cutting any pine trees?

1972 Sawmill 007 No Date.jpg

Last edited:
Old barn beams are normally hand hewn oak or walnut. Almost never pine unless in the south and then its long-leaf pine which isn't too far from hardwood itself. Southern yellow pine that most people use today wasn't used in years past because it was trash. Fence posts from black locast is crazy stupid hard and good 200 years later. Boat builders use black locust to hold beams together and called them treenails (trunnels when slurred into common speach at the time)

Cleaned my north gutter. Yea…. Then trimmed my north maple tree. And for the home trifecta, I mowed the lawn. 🤬🤬
Gosh I love being a home owner. Oh well. At least I painted a rocket… 🤔😎

Started tonight's dinner last night. Greek braized beef in the crockpot for 12 hours. I'm on my second bowl and I have to control myself to keep from going for a third.
Also made 6 quarts of refrigerator pickles from cucumbers I picked from my garden. Tasted one after24 hours. They're 5000% better than anything you'll buy in the store.

Tweaked the *!#$(*& out of my back today. I can barely walk. It's awesome. Yay for fighter pilot back.

Before that, I mowed the yard, installed some new lights, installed a few home automation sensors/switches and <snuck in some rocket stuff>.
IMG_3424.jpg

Yesterday - gritted teeth and bought parts for the mower.
Watched the first episode of 'Hemingway' on SBS.

Today - Took the youngest to soccer, then went whale watching at the beach. It was 27C today (81F), so yes, it is the second half of winter...

Last edited:
Hung a piece of wall art on the wall.
Humerus.jpg

Went looking at display homes as we might build another house on our land.

Repaired a post that had started to rot out on the front verandah. Glued some replacement wood in with West Systems epoxy :).

Tried unsuccessfully to do something rocketry related.

Changed the air filters for the house and the carbon filter in the fridge. Also put a new water filter in the fridge. Cleaned the skimmer basket on the pool. All the storms and wind has pine needles everywhere.

Day started at 4:15 when I had to jump in the pool after the nearly blind, and apparently dumber than I thought, dog. He is 13, and can’t make it through the night without at least one trip outside. He has never fallen in the pool after dark because he can apparently see the house light, and so always comes in without issue…just hugs the fence then house until he gets to the light. Last night he just took off at 90 degrees at “top speed”. Of course, he had just enough momentum to be out of arms reach, so in I went.

Other than that, standard day. Made corn chowder for lunch, took little dude for some new shoes, rode bike on trainer (I hate interval training day), watched first two episodes of WandaVision (I‘m so confused, not digging it so far), about to start some shredded chicken tacos for dinner.

Day started at 4:15 when I had to jump in the pool after the nearly blind, and apparently dumber than I thought, dog. He is 13, and can’t make it through the night without at least one trip outside. He has never fallen in the pool after dark because he can apparently see the house light, and so always comes in without issue…just hugs the fence then house until he gets to the light. Last night he just took off at 90 degrees at “top speed”. Of course, he had just enough momentum to be out of arms reach, so in I went.

Other than that, standard day. Made corn chowder for lunch, took little dude for some new shoes, rode bike on trainer (I hate interval training day), watched first two episodes of WandaVision (I‘m so confused, not digging it so far), about to start some shredded chicken tacos for dinner.
You are a good Doggy Daddy. :clapping:

Stripped all the old door furnishing items off a pair of old doors, getting them ready for converting into a pair of sliding barn doors. Removed some plywood panelling that had been put on the back, lower 1/3 section to expose the internals and original colour of the Silky Oak.
First heavy duty use of the workbench that's not rocketry related! 😁

doors.jpg

Stripped all the old door furnishing items off a pair of old doors, getting them ready for converting into a pair of sliding barn doors. Removed some plywood panelling that had been put on the back, lower 1/3 section to expose the internals and original colour of the Silky Oak.
First heavy duty use of the workbench that's not rocketry related! 😁

View attachment 475358
Is that your garage? If it is I like the crown moulding.

Visited with a former student in Cheyenne WY. Good thing I had a place to stay, as it's "Frontier Days" here and there isn't a hotel room within 100 miles.
Love Cheyenne, is the good Italian Restaraunt on Main Street open again do you know?

Googled some stuff and watched on-line videos about why I'm hearing excessive road/wind noise from over my shoulder, with the top up, from the corners where the roof drain wells of my 1998 MX5 NB are.
I unblocked them several weeks ago by running my trombone cleaning brush through them. Now got some minor work to do, and maybe some aquatic foam to buy and try.

Prep work on the farm for fire season. Pruning palms and vines and cutting down some of the giant 'Bird of Paradise' plants - some 8 metres (~26 feet) high. The fibrous trunks contain a lot of moisture and will make your chainsaw blunt in a few cuts, so it's a bow saw job.

Need to start cutting firebreaks...

Contacted the dealer for torque settings on the new blade stay retaining bolts on the mower:

"We don't know."

Seriously? For a $16K piece of farm equipment you don't have a workshop manual with torque settings? :questions:

Visited the surgeon today. Good news is collarbone is nearly fully healed. Bad news is the pain I am still having in my shoulder is consistent with a labrum tear. He at least thinks that is more likely than rotator cuff damage based on symptoms and the good assumption that it happened in same cycling crash as the rib and collarbone breaks. MRI to come, possibly followed by another surgery (arthroscopic this time hopefully).

Also, he refused to clear me for road cycling or swimming for 2 more weeks.

It was not the visit I was hoping for.

Also, went for a run, and bonked hard.

Today sucked, 1*, would not recommend.

I guess 'bonked' means something different in the US... 🤠 If I had bonked hard I'd be pretty pleased.
I think it comes from cycling. If you have "got the bonk" it means you have "hit the wall". Nothing left in the tank and completely stuffed. Only had it happen to me once on a ride home. Had to get off. Couldn't even spin the pedals on the flat.

I think it comes from cycling. If you have "got the bonk" it means you have "hit the wall". Nothing left in the tank and completely stuffed. Only had it happen to me once on a ride home. Had to get off. Couldn't even spin the pedals on the flat.

Cool. That sounds much more rational than what I was thinking...

Back