What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wagon Train we went to on Saturday.. Neat group of folks, we got there early and were able to chat with them for a bit before they headed out.

001.JPG

High Tension between my 2 kids who are mild enemies. Arguing over who is going to take me out to eat and when for fathers Day. :(

Yesterday, I picked up my (first) electric car (a hybrid with the option to run on BEV mode for 25 miles).
Today, I floored it shortly after a green light. Because a modified, noisy Audi was trying to catch up. :rolleyes:😐

Yesterday, I picked up my (first) electric car (a hybrid with the option to run on BEV mode for 25 miles).
Today, I floored it shortly after a green light. Because a modified, noisy Audi was trying to catch up. :rolleyes:😐

If a sports car is revving the engine in front of me at a stop light, I'll often tailgate them off the line in my Leaf. It's kinda fun in a cruel sort of way. The best thing about driving electric cars is the instant power when you floor the pedal.

Yesterday and today painted four doors to match the new color scheme in the house. Fired up my HVLP sprayer that I haven't used since about 1984. One undercoat yesterday and one topcoat today, after re-learning the intricacies of spray painting. Weather here was hovering around 14C (57F) so it took a while for each to dry, hence two days. Came out well. Luckily the doors had dried a little before Catzilla decided to jump up and take a look when I wasn't watching :mad:. Now I get to spend the next couple of evenings putting them back and getting everything squared away again.

Visited my surgeon and he is very happy about my shoulder reco. Me too. He is quite interested in rocketry so I gave him an Estes kit and a lend of the Stine book. Maybe he might be along to a club launch if his interest is piqued sufficiently.

Last edited:
Visited my surgeon and he is very happy about my shoulder reco. Me too. He is quite interested in rocketry so I gave him an Estes kit and a lend of the Stine book. Maybe he might be along to a club launch if his interest is piqued sufficiently.

Okay, having worked in OR I can see an obsessional ortho surgeon going for his L1 inside 12 months. 🤣

Great way to promote the hobby. I really like stories like this.

Had a good time at my sons house, had cheeseburgers cooked on the grill in the rain, and then got to eat Mexican with my daughter and her family for dinner, very good day

I bought cable ties and used them to attach an extension cord I got yesterday to a fence.

It’s all part of the EV ownership experience. It’s now been 2.5 days and I like it.

I just have to keep improving my charging setup. Not done yet. Waiting for a box to keep things tidy.

it is their spouses who hate each other
If it's your kids who make their argument your problem, then it's they who need to grow up. If that means standing up to their spouses (and maybe getting them to grow up) so be it.

If it were me, which it's not, it's you, and the right response is the response you feel is right, but if it were me I'd have refused both of their offers and gone out to dinner with my wife only.

And in the very unlikely event that you feel like telling them all what some guy on TRF had to say about it, be my guest. Do I sound angry? Yeah, maybe I am a little. You're a friend, and I get angry at people who give my friends this kind of crap. I know it's none of my business, and you should and did handle it in your own way, but that doesn't mean it can't piss me off.

I got a steering wheel cover for my 2yo new car.

Hey look, I’ve been wanting an EV for decades now. And my previous one was 14 years old. I’m a little giddy. Still absorbing this. I’ll stop talking about it very soon now.

Hey look, I’ve been wanting an EV for decades now. And my previous one was 14 years old. I’m a little giddy. Still absorbing this. I’ll stop talking about it very soon now.

I can relate. I drove a '89 Ford Festiva for years. I replaced the fuel tank, brake lines, etc. etc.... but eventually I couldn't keep the rust together and a wheel fell off. Then I bought a Leaf and I'm still giddy.

manufacturing moves to follow cheap labour. its the only variable that can be easily altered.. Countries know & take advantage fo that fact, hence why: cloths in Bangladesh, car parts in Mexico, electronics in China.. China now, has their manuf. sector set to be teh cheapest / dominant labour pool to ensure their growth..

manufacturing moves to follow cheap labour. its the only variable that can be easily altered.. Countries know & take advantage fo that fact, hence why: cloths in Bangladesh, car parts in Mexico, electronics in China.. China now, has their manuf. sector set to be teh cheapest / dominant labour pool to ensure their growth..
But China's wages are also growing fairly rapidly. If multinationals are looking only for low wages, they might not go there anymore. And the stability brought by an authoritarian and pro-business regime is a double-edged sword as more people start looking at human rights abuses. And on a side note, an American banking executive was just jailed for intervening in what looked like a street fight but was actually an off-duty cop beating up a civilian. You get enough of that kind of incident and you won't have as many people excited about a tour of duty in China.

And since quality has a negative correlation with price as a general rule, manufacturing in more expensive countries will never die out completely.

One so often hears people (in the US) bemoan the decline of US manufacturing, saying "We don't make things anymore", but it's just not true. Since 1947, according to this source, there were about 14,250,000 workers in manufacturing. That peaked in 1979 at 19,500,000, and had fallen to about 11,800,000 in 2011. That's a drastic drop, but it's hardly down to nothing, being a 61% drop from the peak and only 17% from "the good old days".

In the same period, manufacturing output has increased about 9-fold in inflation adjusted dollars, increasing steadily the whole time, albeit with a few wiggles.

We don't make things anymore? Bull!

What did you buy and did you install a dedicated 240 volt line for it?

Getting might tired of this mouse plague. Currently averaging 14 a day just inside the house. The little 🤬 are currently chewing their way through most things stored in the workshop and a small platoon has moved into the occasional use caravan.

Humane traps, usually $15, are being scalped at the markets for $50. We're innovating home-made traps out of buckets, coat hanger wire and drink bottles.

And apparently the plague is still 150+ km (93+ miles) away. We must have advanced troops...

Back