What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went into Vegas again today. I had a Cardiology appt. I passed the stress test. Next is a CT of my coronary arteries. But tomorrow is launch day so I won't mind the trip.
Vegas born

5 down and 15 to go. :)
I would like if my spacing and alignments were perfect at measurements down to the atomic level, oh well, I'll take what I can get with my health the mess it is.
At the rate I can get things done any more, I should have it finished by New Years ... 2030.
With the following photos being those specific detail parts, here's link to an overview of the project being built from Lindberg's something like half century old U.S. Moon Ship kit, (NOTE that it is not being built at manufacturer's assigned scale of 1/96, I'm calling it 1/350) https://flic.kr/s/aHsmF1fX8x

Okay, the kit design and molds are indeed a half century old,
"First released in 1958 as the "US Moon Ship," this model was subsequently re-released in the late 1960's as the "Mars Probe Landing Module," then again in the 1970's as the "Star Probe Space Shuttle." It was ultimately re-released by Glencoe Models in the 1990's as the more appropriately named "Lunar Lander"."
https://fantastic-plastic.com/US MOON SHIP PAGE.htm

51120514698_eedbc59840_c.jpg

51120689233_408c101d63_c.jpg

Snapped the spiral spring on my row machine responsible for cable retraction. How do I figure out a replacement? Customer service on this POS is going to be non existent. I assume there is some standard spring nomenclature I can use to figure out a replacement.

IMG_20210417_152633754.jpg

Last edited:
I assume there is some standard spring nomenclature I can use to figure out a replacement.
I wouldn't assume that, but I certainly wouldn't assume not. My brother-in-law is an ME who used to do a fair amoumt with springs (though not tortional ones like this) so I've asked him if he can offer any advice.

I wouldn't assume that, but I certainly wouldn't assume not. My brother-in-law is an ME who used to do a fair amoumt with springs (though not tortional ones like this) so I've asked him if he can offer any advice.

I appreciate it, thanks.

Spent 9 hours cleaning windows, inside and out, both upper and lower levels.
Plus the monster window in the front. That window takes a 25 ft extension ladder and a long brush squeegee.

That's a badge of honor, you need a stronger rowing machine!

Trust me, more a comment on the rower construction/quality than the power of the rower. Given how little I row, only when I can’t do any others exercise, it is really hard to justify more than the cost of the spring. Today I wanted to run as it was overcast and cool, but I did too many miles last week on shoes that are apparently end of life (only at 400 miles, but I’m not a light weight), and my lower back is not taking impact well today. I did get over to the Nike store, and pick up a sweet new pair of running shoes...now I really want to get out there.

Snapped the spiral spring on my row machine responsible for cable retraction. How do I figure out a replacement? Customer service on this POS is going to be non existent. I assume there is some standard spring nomenclature I can use to figure out a replacement.

View attachment 460290

That type of spring is called a "clock spring". You *might* be able to find replacement metal (a narrow strip of spring steel) from somewhere like McMasterCarr. These things can hold a lot of energy!

Possible fixes: (A) Overlap the snapped ends by an inch or so and re-attach with a couple of iron rivets. Aluminum pop rivets may not handle the wear/tension. Need a hard bit to drill spring steel. (B) Overlap the ends and silver-solder; better yet, scarf the ends to a taper before overlapping and soldering. (C) Take it to a machine shop and have them re-attach the ends with a bandsaw-blade welder.

Best -- Terry

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I’ve done some reading on the inter webs, and this spring is a known flaw/weak point in this model. unclear if there is a fundamental design issue, they are using jenky springs, or both. The company will only sell you the entire flywheel assembly for $200...hard no on that one. McMaster has a similar spring, but would be about $80 with shipping. My Dad is digging through his spare parts for a similar spring (he knows he bought a big box of springs at farm auction sometime ago for a couple dollars...the dude has everything in his shop). I’ll probably install the closest thing he can find, and go from there. That is about the $ and effort I want to put into this thing at this point.

My ex finally returned my vinyl collection. I spent a good chunk of yesterday evening transferring them from cardboard boxes to wooden crates I bought at JoAnn's. After that, I installed Windows 10 on my old computer that I'm giving to my step-son. (It had Linux Mint on it. The current machine, much beefed up compared to the old one, also runs Linux Mint.)

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I’ve done some reading on the inter webs, and this spring is a known flaw/weak point in this model. unclear if there is a fundamental design issue, they are using jenky springs, or both. The company will only sell you the entire flywheel assembly for $200...hard no on that one. McMaster has a similar spring, but would be about $80 with shipping. My Dad is digging through his spare parts for a similar spring (he knows he bought a big box of springs at farm auction sometime ago for a couple dollars...the dude has everything in his shop). I’ll probably install the closest thing he can find, and go from there. That is about the $ and effort I want to put into this thing at this point.

Good idea to trust Dad. If it doesn't work or breaks again, you still have the $80.00 option. Although one might have to consider if the rower is worth less than $80.00 used, maybe time to consider an upgrade? Hope a farm auction spring works out for you.

Kurt

I started on a 1W guitar amp kit today. Normally I scratch build my amps but I thought it would be nice to try one of MojoTone's kits. Tube wiring actually has a color code and they didn't follow it. The OCD section was screaming loudly but I told them to shut up 😁 The turret board isn't in the photo. I hate turret boards, just for the record. I'd rather build on an eyelet board. I don't really like rating kits... but I will say I'll only build this one once and I'll celebrate it's completion :cheers:

You might be wondering what good a 1W amp is. It's a good practice amp. It'll drive a single 12" speaker and it will overdrive without causing a knock on the door from the ladies and gentlemen of law enforcement because your neighbor bitc... exercised their right to a quiet neighborhood. .

1W Amp.jpeg

You might be wondering what good a 1W amp is. It's a good practice amp. It'll drive a single 12" speaker and it will overdrive without causing a knock on the door from the ladies and gentlemen of law enforcement because your neighbor bitc... exercised their right to a quiet neighborhood. .
That's why I have a sweet little Laney with DI output. I can play as loud as I want through my headphones and not wake up my whole apartment building. 😅

I've got a Boss Wazza-Air that works kind of like that. I'm an amp-a-holic. I restored a Fender Blackface Bandmaster head, a Gretsch G6151T amp, and a Silvertone 1484 head. I've got a little 5W 5E3 Tweed (built from a kit not an old one) that I play through. The rest get hauled out and played through every now and then. There are 3 Fender "clones" in the que (not kits, just parts) plus a 5E3 15WTweed Deluxe kit. I'll build one or two then move on to something else, like rockets, or pyro, or reloading / shooting, or flying... I may have issues 😁

Had the stepson and nephew over to mow the lawn and help move boxes out of the living room to storage. After they were done, gave the stepson my old PC, loaded with Win10, and fed them burgers on the grill with fresh Kaiser rolls from Publix. Them two boys can EAT! The XYL made brownies and red velvet cake for them and the nephew ate half of the brownies before the yard was done!

All in all, a good day.

I appreciate it, thanks.
Seems like I'm a little late, but here's what the brother-in-law has to say.
Its a constant force spring. I haven't worked with them at all but gave run across the literature. Here a is a good link:
https://www.vulcanspring.com/store/

It almost looks like the whole assembly can be replaced pre-assembled. The mechanical reels look promising. If he knew the load and stroke of the spring he ought to be able to find a substitute: but I'd wager he'll need to replace them in pairs to keep the load balanced ( unless the machine does that another way).

I can play as loud as I want through my headphones...
That sounds like a fast track to hearing loss.

That sounds like a fast track to hearing loss.
Never said I wanted to play extremely loud, just as loud as I want. ;) I live in an apartment and work nights... it’s nice to have headphones to play through at 4am instead of a cab turned down to barely perceivable levels. Thank you for the concern, though.

Got on the Concept2 waiting list while I await my attempted replacement spring for the busted rower. Figure I have 4-6 weeks on the waiting list to get my rower working again, and/or decide if I want to shell out for a quality replacement. Been considering a road bike and trainer, but that and associated kit would run into way more money than replacing the rower.

The YMCA I go to has Concept2 rowers and they are nice. I don't think I'd want a different brand.. They're my preferred cardio warmup before lifting. I have a nice cyclocross bike for road rides and ocassionally on the singletrack. If I ever build a home gym in my garage, I'll probably get a rower. Until then, the Y and the bikes get the job done.

Went out shopping for a new farm trailer and while there are two relatively local trailer manufacturers, both of them produce weld that look like someone snorted hot steel and then sneezed it violently into joints and crevices. This does not inspire my confidence, but I'm determined to buy an Australian product.

Back